Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refunds for suspended flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
I found this in the weekend when sifting through their FAQs on their website.

I got the email stating my flight from PER- AKL in late April has been cancelled and they are now processing an automatic credit but fare difference will still apply. So in what circumstances does the above apply ??
If people still want to travel and change their travel date to say October so going by the above they should be able to rebook without any fees or fare difference ?

I tried to change a future TT booking in June online which has not been cancelled yet and it quoted me a fare difference of approx $200 OW.

Also, I had a multi stop itinerary with one un-flown segment which was my outbound to PER which disappeared from my bookings 3 days ago but no email comms about that yet.
Curious how they will process a credit for that segment ?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
I have just received confirmation of a full refund of a flexidate fare, booked and paid with with real $. When I went to cancel this booking I was offered only a credit, on query with Air NZ providing the booking number and screenshot of the fare rules in place at the time of my booking I was advised I would only still receive a credit. Yesterday I queried again (politely) why they now determine a credit was the only option and once again provided the fare rules when I booked and paid.

1 hour ago I received a refund notification, shortly followed by a PM from the Air NZ team.

Persistent pays off.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 10:40 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Was booked to travel return to YVR in early June. The fare rule included a $150 o/w non-refundable bit, so I instructed my agent to process the refund. They tried to insist I had to take a credit. I quoted the fare rule directly. They processed the refund. I won't be able to leverage the amount of fare credited on any future travel for the next 6 months--at least.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:23 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by racekp
I asked the specific question of AirNZ a couple of days ago and this is how it went -

Me "Please provide the full terms of the credit, how it can be used and any restrictions?"

AirNZ "The full amount is held against each booking. When re-booking flights it must be all used at once of equal or greater value. The credit must be used before X"

That was the extent of the reply so from that I take as long as you spend the credit held in one transaction then anything goes Intl long haul, TT, domestic. But the catch is if you are sitting on thousands it might be hard to spend on domestic & TT in one booking.
I think that is just cr4p, sorry ... (from NZ not from poster, bit good intel)! ... so much for the ‘flexibility’ NZ are advertising they are introducing!! 😤

Last edited by ottiehund; Mar 29, 2020 at 11:27 pm Reason: My comment, damn iphones!
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by gratn
That was the option I got to, but I do begrudge Air NZ keeping the balance. The taxes were never theirs, they were just a collection agent. Now we’re not able to travel the taxes should be refunded immediately as the Govt is not entitled to them. The balance should be a credit able to be used with Air NZ in the future. That is the deal Air NZ is offering domestic ticket holders and international should be no different.
Just got a reply on my question why are they not refunding the taxes and just holding the fare in credit.

"as the taxes are held as part of the fare, they will be used so that you dont have to pay any tax for the next booking using your credit, providing you are flying to and from the same destination. However if you change destination there could be a slight difference in fares and taxes but you would be advised of at the time of rebooking"
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:36 am

Programs: NZ *G
Just got a reply on my question why are they not refunding the taxes and just holding the fare in credit.

"as the taxes are held as part of the fare, they will be used so that you dont have to pay any tax for the next booking using your credit, providing you are flying to and from the same destination. However if you change destination there could be a slight difference in fares and taxes but you would be advised of at the time of rebooking"
This is what I don’t get, as NZ is being coy (seemingly deliberately). If I swap one international booking for another then there can be an adjustment to the taxes, and I expect to pay (if the taxes go up) or get a refund (if the taxes go down). This is not Air NZ’s money so it shouldn’t get to set any threshold for overs and unders.

Where it gets odd is if I use an international credit to pay for a new domestic booking - a very likely outcome given the restrictions on international travel for at least the next 12-18 months. As things stand Air NZ seems unwilling to confirm that when making that booking the taxes (which won’t apply on the domestic ticket) will be refunded. They should be, but I’m pessimistic Air NZ currently agrees with me.
racekp likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:51 am

I took the plunge and called about my early April flights, having gotten no response on other channels for 2 weeks. Flight was cancelled, received an email it was for operational reasons, new flight proposed (different day). This fully qualifies for a refund under the CoC but was offered a credit. Had to persist, quoting the CoC, 2 long holds to a supervisor later and refunds were approved as a "one time exception" as I'm Elite.

So, I'm very pleased Air NZ did the right thing but I don't appreciate that they feel they are doing me a favour. I've found that line is often trotted out when you call out Air NZ on their BS but they don't want to admit it.

They did go above and beyond and refunded the return leg which was on a separate PNR, I was fully expecting a credit for that so kudos to them on that point.
ottiehund likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by znsm
I took the plunge and called about my early April flights, having gotten no response on other channels for 2 weeks. Flight was cancelled, received an email it was for operational reasons, new flight proposed (different day). This fully qualifies for a refund under the CoC but was offered a credit. Had to persist, quoting the CoC, 2 long holds to a supervisor later and refunds were approved as a "one time exception" as I'm Elite.

So, I'm very pleased Air NZ did the right thing but I don't appreciate that they feel they are doing me a favour. I've found that line is often trotted out when you call out Air NZ on their BS but they don't want to admit it.

They did go above and beyond and refunded the return leg which was on a separate PNR, I was fully expecting a credit for that so kudos to them on that point.
What route & class?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:58 am

What route & class?
Pacific Islands flight, economy with APD upgrades
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:20 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Ahh sir, do you have an explanation why you were driving so fast? ...... the speed limit is 100 km/hr .... oh, sorry sir you are an elite driver, the speed limit is 120 km/hr, how silly of me, have a nice day but don’t tell anyone.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:17 am

My flight LAX-LHR-WAW is on NZ/BA on August 28. It's quite a bit in the future so for now I am just staying put and assuming NZ will send me a communication about being put on an alternative carrier for the LAX-LHR segment since I hear they are permanently cancelling it.

However, if the flight is cancelled by NZ and they cannot offer me any alternatives within +/- 1 day of my original departure date to my final destination (Warsaw) then they will need to refund me per US DOT rules. If not I will be pursuing a civil lawsuit in small claims court against Air New Zealand. I know Air New Zealand is struggling but so are many of us as well. Everyone is struggling here.

I don't have the resources to donate to the "Air New Zealand survival fund" unfortunately, I need my money back.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:54 am
Suspended

Please provide Pointer to DoT Rules You Mention?

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't mind being delayed a day or even a week, but they are not flying my route for a MONTH after my current dates.

Please provide DoT rules you refer to so I can cite it to credit card company.

Originally Posted by k374
My flight LAX-LHR-WAW is on NZ/BA on August 28. It's quite a bit in the future so for now I am just staying put and assuming NZ will send me a communication about being put on an alternative carrier for the LAX-LHR segment since I hear they are permanently cancelling it.

However, if the flight is cancelled by NZ and they cannot offer me any alternatives within +/- 1 day of my original departure date to my final destination (Warsaw) then they will need to refund me per US DOT rules. If not I will be pursuing a civil lawsuit in small claims court against Air New Zealand. I know Air New Zealand is struggling but so are many of us as well. Everyone is struggling here.

I don't have the resources to donate to the "Air New Zealand survival fund" unfortunately, I need my money back.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by usedtobeimportant
I'm in the same boat as you. I don't mind being delayed a day or even a week, but they are not flying my route for a MONTH after my current dates.

Please provide DoT rules you refer to so I can cite it to credit card company.
US DOT rules are crystal clear https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ection/refunds

Cancelled Flight – A passenger is entitled to a refund if the airline cancelled a flight, regardless of the reason, and the passenger chooses not to be rebooked on a new flight on that airline.

The interesting thing here is the interpretation of "airline is at fault", I interpret that to mean that the cancellation originated from the passenger as opposed to the airline. It is commonly agreed that for a non-refundable ticket there are no refunds if the passenger chooses to cancel - i.e. the airline is NOT at fault. If the airline cancels the flight then the airline is AT fault.

Clarification on this from another section of the US DOT site:

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...-cancellations

If your flight is cancelled and you choose to cancel your trip as a result, you are entitled to a refund for the unused transportation – even for non-refundable tickets. You are also entitled to a refund for any bag fee that you paid, and any extras you may have purchased, such as a seat assignment.

The verbiage is CLEAR, even if you have a non-refundable ticket you are entitled to a REFUND in cash if the airline cancels the flight. Period.

I think in these extraordinary times, personally, I believe we should be a little bit flexible in allowing the airline to work with you. In my case i'm willing to be a little flexible with dates and itineraries, say if NZ routes me differently with another carrier etc and moves my dates +/- a few days I will adjust given the circumstances. If they tell me to buzz off, shrug their shoulders and say tough luck then we have a problem.

Last edited by k374; Mar 31, 2020 at 12:20 pm
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

... So the options presented are for this 2-night, seat-only, non-refundable (return) journey are;

Hold the $373 fare in credit; or
Cancel and refund just the taxes $200.

I asked for a refund of the taxes, which they have processed and should be credited with 15 working days.
Data point.

The taxes have been refunded into the credit card used and show as being deposited on Monday - so within 24 hours. Can’t ask for any faster than that.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 1:59 pm

I'm wondering if where the airline is indicating they are heading in the future (largley domestic airline), many people might struggle to use their credit of 2,3,4k+ in one booking? I'm also wondering if 12 month validity is also going to be enough. I'm hoping the conditions of usage of 'credits' comes out sooner rather than later.
gratn, Beano and ottiehund like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.