Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refunds for suspended flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 6:58 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold
I've just had success receiving a full refund for two premium economy flights to the US (should have been departing 19th April). I quoted the US Dot rules and enforcement notice and was at first told it was only for US based customers (Im Australian based). After politely informing that was incorrect and asking for a supervisor to clarify they came back with "a full refund will be initiated immediately". I received an email within 5 minutes showing the refund amount and confirmation.
NZ_Flyer and Ged like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Quick update, I called ANZ this morning and got through very quickly. I will receive my refund in 5 - 10 business days and email confirmation of the refund almost immediately, this took about 5 minutes. I received no push back from the Airline whatsoever.

Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by dodgiebloke
Quick update, I called ANZ this morning and got through very quickly. I will receive my refund in 5 - 10 business days and email confirmation of the refund almost immediately, this took about 5 minutes. I received no push back from the Airline whatsoever.

Thanks for the help.
What route?
dodgiebloke likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:59 pm

LAX - LHR Roundtrip economy with Sky Couch 5/12/20 - 5/19/20
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by racekp
What route?

LAX - LHR Roundtrip economy with Sky Couch 5/12/20 - 5/19/20
Beano and racekp like this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
Out of interest - would NZ1/2 AKL-LHR or LHR/AKL be subject to DOT regulations? Considering technically it's considered a "direct" flight.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by BZNZ
Out of interest - would NZ1/2 AKL-LHR or LHR/AKL be subject to DOT regulations? Considering technically it's considered a "direct" flight.
I was wondering the same thing as it transits through LAX then given it touches US soil (to and from) then should be subject to DoT, maybe better to ask in the DoT thread
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BZNZ
It would seem odd if pax AKL-LAX or LAX-LHR could claim the DOT ruling in support if a refund, but a pax booked AKL-(LAX)-LHR could not. But this ‘direct flight’ situation could be a technical exclusion. Interesting.
racekp likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
I am lead to believe that the DOT rule applies to the point of sale. But have not currently accepted this.

I have (had) a situation where a family friend (US Citizen, Resident, Passport holder) was flying BNA - ORD - AKL - IAH - BNA. I paid for this ticket through my NZ TA, POS being New Zealand. Ticketed as NZ2074 - NZ27 - NZ28 - NZ6375. Air NZ have since cancelled this flight and offered no alternative routing. Credit is being held in his name. The friend was prepared to see quarantine (with us) for 2 of his 3 week trip which was for a specific family event. Although that has changed now with the hotel quarantine requirements.

Be interesting to see what happens in the next week or so.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:32 am

See this from ComCom in NZ.

https://comcom.govt.nz/__data/assets...April-2020.pdf

Seems that refund required unless something actually states what happens if frustrated.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
It would seem odd if pax AKL-LAX or LAX-LHR could claim the DOT ruling in support if a refund, but a pax booked AKL-(LAX)-LHR could not. But this ‘direct flight’ situation could be a technical exclusion. Interesting.
I received a refund offer this week for AKL-LAX-LHR, after sending the DOT letter (and when I had previously been declined), so I think that speaks to applicability of the ruling and may be a sign that NZ is aware of it, and accepting it?
Thai-Kiwi, Beano and racekp like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by ottiehund

I received a refund offer this week for AKL-LAX-LHR, after sending the DOT letter (and when I had previously been declined), so I think that speaks to applicability of the ruling and may be a sign that NZ is aware of it, and accepting it?
Would you mind mentioning the Point of Sale please. New Zealand or?

Regards
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:50 pm
Ged

Have a look over at the DOT thread. Looks like Air NZ are pushing back again on this
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no such thing as "transit" in the US and the US rules which have been in effect since 2011, and which are the subject of the April 3 Warning Letter, clearly provide that US law applies to flights to and from the US. AKL-LAX-LHR is covered by US law as such a ticket contains flights both to and from the US.

Others report pushback from NZ on this point, but, as reported above, NZ relents when confronted with the documents.

If one were actually denied, one ought to initiate a chargeback with the credit card issuer (bank) used to pay for the ticket. Provide copies of the e-ticket receipt, the cancellation, request for refund, and response from NZ (or note a non-response) and provide the DOT Warning Letter and cover note explaining its scope.

Also, make certain to file a complaint with DOT. It is all done online. DOT does not handle individual cases, but it will require NZ to respond directly to you and DOT uses complaints to determine which carriers are violating US law.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
I am lead to believe that the DOT rule applies to the point of sale. But have not currently accepted this.

I have (had) a situation where a family friend (US Citizen, Resident, Passport holder) was flying BNA - ORD - AKL - IAH - BNA. I paid for this ticket through my NZ TA, POS being New Zealand. Ticketed as NZ2074 - NZ27 - NZ28 - NZ6375. Air NZ have since cancelled this flight and offered no alternative routing. Credit is being held in his name. The friend was prepared to see quarantine (with us) for 2 of his 3 week trip which was for a specific family event. Although that has changed now with the hotel quarantine requirements.

Be interesting to see what happens in the next week or so.

Refund notification received today on this travel. POS my local Travel Agent in NZ. Traveler was a US citizen, US passport holder and departure point was BNA.

I would have to say I feel it has a lot with who you deal with at Air NZ and I had an extremely helpful, knowledgeable member of the Loyalty HVC and Alliance Partnerships Team reach out to me today to come up with solutions for a total of 11 affected flights between now and the end of July this year. I did not receive everything I wanted but am happy with the compromise.

Be patient, be prepared to compromise, be direct and reference the correct and relevant Acts etc. I can not say this refund relates directly to the Application to the Disputes Tribunal, DOT Guidance or the CGA, or CAA or even the CCL Act 2017 << particular around "frustrated" contracts. It could even be the requirement to be acting in good faith. Who knows. I know it is an emotional time but keep them out of it and stick to the facts.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.