Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refunds for suspended flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
“Grounds for attempting a chargeback vary according to card company rules. A cardholder has a specified time under the credit card’s conditions of use to dispute a transaction. Failing that, it is assumed the cardholder has accepted responsibility to pay.

A chargeback attempt may fail if there is not a valid reason for it, and card issuers are unable to force a merchant’s bank to refund credit card payments.”

https://bankomb.org.nz/guides-and-ca...s/chargebacks/
As I mentioned previously, this was with Citi USA, so depends on your issuer and country.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by ottiehund
I see the following now on website .... credits can be used for any travel, which is more palatable than previously suggested options.

Managing your flights with Air New Zealand

If you booked through a travel agent, please ask them to manage your changes.

Sorry, we can't give you a refund on a non-refundable ticket.

Arrange a 12-month credit for your booked ticket for travel before 30 June - it's online and fast

You can use your credit within the next 12 months for any travel on Air New Zealand.
Still really waiting for the split and merge. Really just want one pool of credit.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by saaveraward
I disputed the charge from 8 months ago and won. YMMV
What card and issuer?, my Kiwibank VISA stipulates a 60 day period to notify them from the charge appearing on my statement, which excludes my claim, I may still lodge one however as nothing to lose and logically it was after 60 days that the problem occurred. The issue being that with flights often booked well in advance this condition may limit many, but hope they might be reasonable about it.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 3:53 pm

What card and issuer?, my Kiwibank VISA stipulates a 60 day period to notify them from the charge appearing on my statement, which excludes my claim, I may still lodge one however as nothing to lose and logically it was after 60 days that the problem occurred. The issue being that with flights often booked well in advance this condition may limit many, but hope they might be reasonable about it.
Citi USA

They have similar language but will allow you to dispute a charge over a fairly large amount of time.
Often1 and ottiehund like this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 5:48 pm

For those of you who think asking for a refund is not in NZ’s best interests, if they go under the credits will disappear with them and we are left with nothing. Already fares are going up, they have removed change fees but built them into the fare increase if you change online.
They are taking the p*** out of flyers, but probably not the only ones.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by Abouttimetoo
Perhaps more palatable but why do they think they have the right to define the time period for use? I very much doubt that I'll be back in New Zealand within the next 12 months.
What about the next two years? Keep in mind that you don't have to fly within the next year, just book the ticket. You can book a ticket almost a full year before actually flying. Thus, you could theoretically use the credits for travel that is almost two years away.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: RFC
[emp added]

The part you're not thinking of is the legal principal of "ought implies can". You get to make the claim *once you are able to make the claim*. Book a year ahead, but the airline cancels the flight 6 months later then you *can* claim at 6 months: you *couldn't* have applied earlier.

Given it's KiwiBank, and NZ companies are generally idiots, it's probably worth mentioning in your commentary to the charge back form that you are doing this ASAP after the actual event

Remember, NZ companies try to include all sorts of limiting and exclusionary things in the contracts. *None* of them apply if they are in conflict with NZ law: you *cannot* contract out of your rights in NZ as far as retail contracts are concerned.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 3:20 am

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
Legality or not all airlines are struggling to get head above the waves The bottom line is *A is going to be the platform moving forward. As far as I am aware there has been little noise over the airwaves in context to *A but the alliance will need each other to survive.. This has to be a a really big platform for NZ to get out of jail.
On a other note I am a HVC for A3 and AIRNZ thus able give a view of both in how each has reacted from a customer perspective in a challengeniing context. If i had to make a call A3 is winning between the two. From a customer perspective (over and above HVC context) A3 is a step change a head of NZ in terms of customer loyalty. A3 is llooking after all levels of thier customer base. Do i feel more valued as a A3 customer in comparisan to NZ. I do have forwad bookings with NZ and A3 and by way and a far the flexibility with A3 is way ahead NZ. IMHO both A3 and NZ are going to get thru this because both are flexible,adaptable, represent the national identity thus a win/win.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:20 am

After getting the email saying flight cancelled and credit will be automatically processed. Once the credit is processed a confirmation email will be sent. The credit will be valid for 12 months from date of credit being processed.

I got 2 of these emails about 4 days apart for 2 flights but have yet to get a email confirming the credit is processed for either of them. Getting on 2 weeks ago now.

Has anyone had a 'credit processed' confirmation email?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by racekp
After getting the email saying flight cancelled and credit will be automatically processed. Once the credit is processed a confirmation email will be sent. The credit will be valid for 12 months from date of credit being processed.

I got 2 of these emails about 4 days apart for 2 flights but have yet to get a email confirming the credit is processed for either of them. Getting on 2 weeks ago now.

Has anyone had a 'credit processed' confirmation email?
I have had no communication at all for flights later this month. When I look up the booking (which has disappeared now from app and ‘my bookings’ on website) on the manage bookings tool I get a message that it is now being held in credit and to call if I need to use it.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 5:26 pm

Just got email to say 29 May flight cancelled, still waiting for 1 & 10 May !

Does not say where credit is, maybe getting new bike for NZ Health Minister
Old Apr 6, 2020, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Rustydfa
Just got email to say 29 May flight cancelled, still waiting for 1 & 10 May !

Does not say where credit is, maybe getting new bike for NZ Health Minister
I have found they are only cancelling international and connections.
Domestic need to do yourself.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 5:38 pm

They are international flights, $4000 worth.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:21 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
I have moved two flights to the UK to August and October- I appreciate it is still up in the air, but was offered a full refund on both if I wanted per the conditions of the tickets. I didn’t raise it, they asked me if I wanted a refund and I asked to rebook me. Back on NZ 2/1 - said hadn’t been cancelled yet and still selling - which conflicts with advice here, and I’m taking with a grain of salt.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:39 pm

Article today that NZ must give refunds not credits to certain overseas flights under individual country laws

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/mon...eas-passengers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.