Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Has anyone booked points flights under the new program, then a) seen the points requirement decrease later on b) seen a mixed cabin open up to full business class?

I've booked several flights and have been keeping an eye on them for several weeks, but have not seen either of those changes. I'm just wondering whether it makes sense to continue tracking them from time to time.
I cancelled and re-booked my YYZ-YVR itinerary for April and saved around 10K miles as a result. Not sure about the mixed cabin thing but I suppose it's possible if the airline releases I space after you book. I'd probably not spend too much time checking, especially if you got a good deal in the first place.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
I would keep rechecking -- I've rebooked some 3 or 4 times (exact same dates/flights), each time the points requirements dropping. I think I'm now at half of the original points on some of these flights. theses were all NA economy.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:19 pm

the new dynamic some of them don't make any sense.

yesterday YVR-TPA. round trip is 11.2k+16.8K, tax $122, if I book separate is 11.8K+30K, tax is $65+$31=$96 lower.........so I cancel my YVR-TPA 11.8K one way (booked 7 days ago) and book the round trip instead, but today the same TPA-YVR flight drop to 11.2K, however the YVR-TPA one increase to 27.3K

wondering Can I call AC to split my existing round trip PNR? and why there's tax difference?

Lessons learned, I should not cancel my YVR-TPA 11.8K one way! wait few more days
Old Jan 9, 2021, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
There are definitely different taxes for something like SFO-YYZ-SFO vs YYZ-SFO-YYZ even though you're basically doing the same flights, so that isn't surprising.

And with dynamic prices, they will definitely fluctuate.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Reward availability timing under new program

I am still trying to come to grips with the new Aeroplan probram. Not flying much has left me not caring much to understand the ins and outs of it all.....

Onto the question....

Under the new program, does reward space open at the same time as revenue space? or at a different time?

Specifically I am looking for 2 seats to Australia around the end of January 2022 (under the premise that international travel to OZ will be available then).
Old Jan 17, 2021, 4:45 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
I am still trying to come to grips with the new Aeroplan probram. Not flying much has left me not caring much to understand the ins and outs of it all.....

Onto the question....

Under the new program, does reward space open at the same time as revenue space? or at a different time?

Specifically I am looking for 2 seats to Australia around the end of January 2022 (under the premise that international travel to OZ will be available then).
I have been able to buy award seats 360 days in advance, at the same time revenue space was made available.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 6:04 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Under the new program, does reward space open at the same time as revenue space?
For flights on AC metal, generally, yes. Although there are some weird things going on with Australia at the moment. I think YOWgary has been looking at that.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
For flights on AC metal, generally, yes. Although there are some weird things going on with Australia at the moment. I think YOWgary has been looking at that.
No deep investigation - I am simply also trying to go to Australia, so I'm watching those routes closely.

The short answer is, they're open in relatively high fares for PE-flex and J-lowest, in both points and cash, but Y is not available in either. My general read on that is that they're not sure when they'll know if those flights will be permitted, so they're only selling fares they can either refund or reaccommodate on partner metal.

In any case - under the new Aeroplan program, theoretically miles space and points space on AC metal are now effectively the same thing, so they *should* both become available at the same time, barring something unusual like the example of Australia.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 5:49 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by YOWgary
The short answer is, they're open in relatively high fares for PE-flex and J-lowest, in both points and cash, but Y is not available in either. My general read on that is that they're not sure when they'll know if those flights will be permitted, so they're only selling fares they can either refund or reaccommodate on partner metal.
Have you noticed the same thing with NZ flights? They seem to be working a little better in my experience, but with less likelihood they'll actually happen.

BTW, I got lucky one day and found a pair of seats from YYZ to SYD in J all the way for 47,100 points (using a priority reward). I haven't seen them that low before or since.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Have you noticed the same thing with NZ flights? They seem to be working a little better in my experience, but with less likelihood they'll actually happen.

BTW, I got lucky one day and found a pair of seats from YYZ to SYD in J all the way for 47,100 points (using a priority reward). I haven't seen them that low before or since.
YVR-AKL is scheduled to start Dec 2, and is available in all classes for both cash and points starting on that date.

I don't know what factors have led AC to treat New Zealand and Australia differently in this regard, but clearly they've gone out of their way to do so.

On a barely-related note, Air New Zealand shows daily YVR-AKL resuming July 1, which seems improbable.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Curious to know how others are managing future award bookings with Covid uncertainty? I'm hoping to visit family in the EU this summer but is difficult to know when travel will be feasible. At the same time I know that the point cost on AC is going to increase and reward availability on partners is going to reduce as my travel dates get closer. Right now I'm booked in July but am debating booking "backup" tickets in August and September so that I can lock-in pricing/availability and then will simply cancel the flights I don't end up taking but wanted to get thoughts on if there is a better way to manage this?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fly_yag
Curious to know how others are managing future award bookings with Covid uncertainty? I'm hoping to visit family in the EU this summer but is difficult to know when travel will be feasible. At the same time I know that the point cost on AC is going to increase and reward availability on partners is going to reduce as my travel dates get closer. Right now I'm booked in July but am debating booking "backup" tickets in August and September so that I can lock-in pricing/availability and then will simply cancel the flights I don't end up taking but wanted to get thoughts on if there is a better way to manage this?
I think a lot of it depends on your point balance. I think it's safe to say that reward refunds will remain free as long as COVID is in the air.

I have a bunch of bookings throughout 2021, almost every month. I cancel or move them as it becomes certain that they will be impossible to fly.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite 35K
Originally Posted by fly_yag

So I am booking trips back to back in the next few months to come, I know I will be able to make it one day for one of the trips I booked, unless there is some one going to tell me there is going to be a Covid forever, never stop viruses.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 23, 2021 at 12:17 am Reason: Resize excessively large image
Old Jan 19, 2021, 1:44 pm

My dad has an Aeroplan account for his business that has a significant amount of miles on it and offered to let me use some points for flights. Is there any way I can take advantage of the status benefits? (He has the automatic 25K status for earning 100k points per year.)

He hates flying and only uses the points for other redemptions so I was wondering if I could just change the name on the profile to my name to use for flight bookings so I can use the status?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by greg898
My dad has an Aeroplan account for his business that has a significant amount of miles on it and offered to let me use some points for flights. Is there any way I can take advantage of the status benefits? (He has the automatic 25K status for earning 100k points per year.)

He hates flying and only uses the points for other redemptions so I was wondering if I could just change the name on the profile to my name to use for flight bookings so I can use the status?
I don't think you could take advantage of most of the benefits. His account is tied to his CC and if you changed the name of his AE account they could notice that something fishy is going on. You can however take advantage of his preferred pricing on redemptions (if you book a ticket for yourself off his account) and eUpgrade credits. Keep in mind that you can only upgrade yourself using his eUpgrade credits. If there is someone else on your booking, it will not let him request the upgrade for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.