Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It sounds like the US credit card might be interesting. They recognize that they're a foreign airline card in the most competitive credit card market in the world, so they will be competitive.

Seems like VIPs have SS access.

Nothing else that wasn't covered.
What?!

Can you elaborate further? Sounds really interesting and I don't want to play mind games. I would hate to misinterpret what you're saying.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
What?!

Can you elaborate further? Sounds really interesting and I don't want to play mind games. I would hate to misinterpret what you're saying.
The upcoming Chase US credit card is going to be "competitive". I don't know if that means "compared to the United cards" (i.e. not competitive) or "compared to CSR or Amex Plat". But it's what they said.

And VIPs have access to the Signature Suite when they're not flying paid J. I don't know the details, and it's mostly irrelevant because VIP isn't something you can even buy. But it confirms a suspicion a few of us had. I'm actually surprised they even bothered to mention it in terms of access.

One thing to elaborate on is that the delta between EL and EF is going to increase once the SS opens up again. It's small right now because you don't get SS access.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The upcoming Chase US credit card is going to be "competitive". I don't know if that means "compared to the United cards" (i.e. not competitive) or "compared to CSR or Amex Plat". But it's what they said.
Good point, but I would argue the UA Visa Infinite is pretty competitive as it earns 4x UA miles on UA purchases. I think if Chase's AC premium card matches that, we'll have something to talk about. Maybe include a MLL membership as well?

And VIPs have access to the Signature Suite when they're not flying paid J. I don't know the details, and it's mostly irrelevant because VIP isn't something you can even buy. But it confirms a suspicion a few of us had. I'm actually surprised they even bothered to mention it in terms of access.

One thing to elaborate on is that the delta between EL and EF is going to increase once the SS opens up again. It's small right now because you don't get SS access.
I think I was getting confused because I'm not familiar with the acronyms that you used. Hopefully there will be leaks on the new Chase-AC card.

Just to add on to that, my understanding is that there are low hundreds of AC VIPs.

Examples include William Shatner.

AC VIP is not like UA GS. The person in charge of travel at IBM Canada is AC VIP (maybe not, but that's the type of person who gets it). William Shatner is VIP (and other legit Canadian celebrities).

If you're thinking "I want VIP status", you're not going to get VIP status.

I had a negotiation with AC a few years ago, and they had no issue comping me SE (which I declined because I'm easily SE anyway), but VIP was a laughable request. If they value SE at $5k, they value VIP at $500k. Not that they'd sell it for $500k.
I more or less get what you're saying. Still have no idea what you meant by EL and EF.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 22, 2021 at 7:21 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsquare
I more or less get what you're saying. Still have no idea what you meant by EL and EF.
The suffix of the fare basis.

Executive Lowest / EL / Business Lowest
Executive First / EF / Business Flexible
Nitehawk and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 11:02 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
A few posts that veered off in to a general discussion of AC VIP status have been moved to the VIP status thread.

Air Canada VIP Service

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
So, who's ready for some good news?

This is without my 75K or credit-card discounts.

Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YOWgary
So, who's ready for some good news?

This is without my 75K or credit-card discounts.

Wow. I wonder how bookable that route is post-COVID.
​​​
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

The SMR discount isn't very big. Under 3k in J, and even less in Y/PY.

I hope that gets better.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:33 pm

One can start from further east as well

Last edited by mileageking; Apr 20, 2021 at 3:40 pm
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:39 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Wow, pathetic.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:16 pm

I know how much YOWgary admires new IST-YVR route on TK. Start in DOH, total 15,443 distance miles one-way. Lowest 100k, flexible 110k. Play around with dates for all AC metal (DOH-YYZ-YVR-SYD) and forced overnight in YYZ/YVR. Roundtrip 200k or 100k for SEs with priority reward.

unclepants, YOWgary and YYCNoob like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum

I hope that gets better.
My reason for posting was more that YVR-SYD is no longer a million points all the way out to the horizon.

As well, given the very specific comments we've heard from AC as recently as this past weekend, that YVR-SYD/MEL/BNE prices have been high while the future of travel to Australia remains uncertain, you have to imagine that the fact that these fares have come down, suggests that someone at AC has suddenly increased their degree of confidence that those flights will operate.

Re: IST-YVR, I 'admire' that route insofar as Western Canada has previously had really poor options for AP connections to Europe and the Middle East.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:07 am

Programs: AC SE
I've seen a fair bit of discussion about the expense of getting to Australian destinations (at least when paying by points). By comparison, Auckland is quite inexpensive. The routes begin in December, though obviously we have no clear idea if they are likely to actually happen. Still, it's a good option if you just want to get to the other side of the world. And obviously Australia is relatively quick and cheap to get to from there.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
"Also relevant from today's event:

Calendar Search:
On the topic of when we'll see a calendar-search function, it sounds like the calendar function is in its testing phase now, aiming to take Version 1 online sometime in Q2, where the calendar shows a 7-day view with the lowest price available, period. Version 2 will add the ability to filter by cabin, like "show me the cheapest business seat in this 7-day range" and will arrive later in the year.

Digging deeper: Amadeus (AC's provider) provides better-quality availability data, but the tradeoff is decreased speed per search, and this effect amplifies when searching multiple dates. Mark Nasr says his team's working with Amadeus to find the best match point between search results that don't show false negatives or phantom space, and searches that don't take 30 seconds to execute.
"

re: Calendar Search. I'm looking to use points on partner airlines for upcoming summer travel. I'm flexible on dates. How the heck am I expected to do this without having a calendar of availability??? For real....am I really expected to try each and every single date combination? Or do I really need to get on the phone and have an agent do the searching for me? Can't believe they'd go live with that important piece of functionality (available on every other airline in existence today) being available.
unclepants likes this.

Last edited by ajcopley; Apr 22, 2021 at 12:27 pm
Old Apr 22, 2021, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by ajcopley
"Also relevant from today's event:

Calendar Search:
On the topic of when we'll see a calendar-search function, it sounds like the calendar function is in its testing phase now, aiming to take Version 1 online sometime in Q2, where the calendar shows a 7-day view with the lowest price available, period. Version 2 will add the ability to filter by cabin, like "show me the cheapest business seat in this 7-day range" and will arrive later in the year.

Digging deeper: Amadeus (AC's provider) provides better-quality availability data, but the tradeoff is decreased speed per search, and this effect amplifies when searching multiple dates. Mark Nasr says his team's working with Amadeus to find the best match point between search results that don't show false negatives or phantom space, and searches that don't take 30 seconds to execute.
"

re: Calendar Search. I'm looking to use points on partner airlines for upcoming summer travel. I'm flexible on dates. How the heck am I expected to do this without having a calendar of availability??? For real....am I really expected to try each and every single date combination? Or do I really need to get on the phone and have an agent do the searching for me? Can't believe they'd go live with that important piece of functionality (available on every other airline in existence today) being available.
You can sign up for United's website, and do calendar searches there. Then once you find the flights you like, go to AE to confirm.

Saver awards correspond to J flights available, generally, on AE.

Do note that United won't show availability for non-Star Alliance flights eg Etihad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.