Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
I don’t think what you’re describing is correct. My sense of what I’ve received is that it has been cumulative.
My experience is that it is cumulative, both on Amex (which posts almost immediately, regardless of statement period) and CIBC, which posts shortly after the statement.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 11:57 pm

Programs: AC 75k
I don’t think what you’re describing is correct. My sense of what I’ve received is that it has been cumulative.
Did you actually confirm that you have received at least one bonus that was more than 1/5 of your monthly spend?
Every month my status qualification boost is Posted spend/5 rounded down. I have never seen a single month that wasn't the case. If you or anyone else have seen a top up, I would appreciate hearing it. I am 9K over on spend with no correction.
IMPORTANT: TD card.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlY2XS
Did you actually confirm that you have received at least one bonus that was more than 1/5 of your monthly spend?
Every month my status qualification boost is Posted spend/5 rounded down. I have never seen a single month that wasn't the case. If you or anyone else have seen a top up, I would appreciate hearing it. I am 9K over on spend with no correction.
IMPORTANT: TD card.
I have a total spend of just over $42K since I obtained the card and I have received a total bonus of 8000 SQM (AMEX). I have a total bonus of 7000 SQM on my CIBC Visa since I received that card which also corresponds with what I have spent.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 1:14 am

Programs: AC 75k
So far for me, there is registered 49K spend and 8k SQM. Again not CIBC or AMEX. If you are seeing a top up in any given month, then it is something for me to take up with TD.
For folks with TD, has anyone seen carryover month to month?
Old Mar 21, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Anyone have any news on the rollover of both eUpgrades and miles? There has been general radio silence as of late...
Old Mar 21, 2021, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That makes no sense. You should be able to combine any AC J seat, possibly for more points. You should also be able to do it mixed cabin with AC in Y (though again, possibly for more points).
Thanks. I thought she was out to lunch. I just don't understand how some of these agents can be so poorly trained. This one even put me on hold for several minutes to "go ask".

I'm going to wait until tomorrow to call back and try to add on the YYC-YVR leg. My thinking is that the good agents probably get the weekends off. lol.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 5:50 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Anyone have any news on the rollover of both eUpgrades and miles? There has been general radio silence as of late...
I was on the phone with AP yesterday on another issue (Family Sharing issues) and during my 90 minute call, asked about the rollover eup timing. Was put on hold for another 10 minutes while she checked only to come back and tell me that it should be complete by March 30th...

CC
Old Mar 22, 2021, 10:54 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Given the level of interest in it, the instant someone's rollovers appear, I'm sure that there will be 50 posts on FT

I wouldn't expect any communication from AC on it.
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Looking at flying to Tokyo around Christmas as unlikely as it is, but the purpose of this question is to figure out how Aeroplan pricing works. YEG - NRT can be had for a little over 52K points in Business, one-way (33K in Y, so no-brainer with the lie-flats). On a couple of dates, it shows as that amount for up to 3 travelers. When I add the 4th person, the price jumps to over 113K, or 452K for all four. I am guessing all 4 have to purchased from the same bucket? Otherwise, the fourth person's effective/marginal rate is 296K, which is insane.

Any word of advice on how to navigate this issue - book 3, then the fourth at a higher but hopefully not ridiculous rate? How would I know what the fourth one booked separately will cost before the cheaper ones are all gone? Wait a few months? Forget about it altogether?
Old Mar 22, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Looking at flying to Tokyo around Christmas as unlikely as it is, but the purpose of this question is to figure out how Aeroplan pricing works. YEG - NRT can be had for a little over 52K points in Business, one-way (33K in Y, so no-brainer with the lie-flats). On a couple of dates, it shows as that amount for up to 3 travelers. When I add the 4th person, the price jumps to over 113K, or 452K for all four. I am guessing all 4 have to purchased from the same bucket? Otherwise, the fourth person's effective/marginal rate is 296K, which is insane.

Any word of advice on how to navigate this issue - book 3, then the fourth at a higher but hopefully not ridiculous rate? How would I know what the fourth one booked separately will cost before the cheaper ones are all gone? Wait a few months? Forget about it altogether?
I ran into a similar situation, booking Yow-SYD. I seat was 85k, 2 seats were crazy expensive x 2.

I booked the one for 85k. Then I booked the 2nd at the expensive price. Total was much lower than booking the seats in the one transaction.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 2:41 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
YEG - NRT can be had for a little over 52K points in Business, one-way (33K in Y, so no-brainer with the lie-flats). On a couple of dates, it shows as that amount for up to 3 travelers. When I add the 4th person, the price jumps to over 113K, or 452K for all four. I am guessing all 4 have to purchased from the same bucket?
Same as a revenue ticket in that respect. If a flight is, say M9 U3 H0, if you book 4, they'll all book in to M.

Otherwise, the fourth person's effective/marginal rate is 296K, which is insane.
Yup.

Any word of advice on how to navigate this issue - book 3, then the fourth at a higher but hopefully not ridiculous rate?
That's really the only way to do it if you want to book now to secure what you feel is a good deal.

How would I know what the fourth one booked separately will cost before the cheaper ones are all gone?
Book 3. Then you'll see what the 4th costs. If the cost is reasonable, book it. If it's too high, cancel ​​​​​​the first 3.

Wait a few months? Forget about it altogether?
With the ability to cancel and refund a points ticket with no penalty, why wait? If the price comes down, you can cancel the 4th ticket and re-book it at a lower price.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlY2XS
So far for me, there is registered 49K spend and 8k SQM. Again not CIBC or AMEX. If you are seeing a top up in any given month, then it is something for me to take up with TD.
For folks with TD, has anyone seen carryover month to month?
I have the TD - I have not hit $5k spend on any billing cycle yet I have the SQM bonus I would expect to have received (2000 miles so far).
Old Mar 24, 2021, 9:36 am

Hi, need some expertise is using my Aeroplan Miles. I don't use these enough and can't seem to get it straight in my head! Sorry. I do have a few questions that I am pretty sure will be simply answered by the experience on here.

1. When I am on the new web page and go through the process - at the end it comes up as using the full emails but also has the options if I want to possibly use some cash - except those options don't allow me to choose. If I go on my app those options become available? Is their a hiccup somewhere on the webpage that doesn't allow me to change my pricing options?
2. Most importantly - Please use your explanation as "Aeroplan for Dummies!" - So, I want to for example use my miles for a return flight to BKK. I don't necessarily want to use AC and pay all the surcharges or maybe I want to fly someone different on the Alliance. a.) Do I just search routes possibly flying out of YWG over DEN or something and jump on a United Flight - do I just call Aeroplan and give them my route and cross my fingers that something is available in reward flights. For example on AC it costs say 170,000 miles - No matter which airline I fly will it be the same miles coming from my account. b.) Is there any easy way to find reward seating availability on Star Alliance - FYI. I don't have any paid memberships to say Expert Flyer etc., if that is an option. Is it just simply using the ATI Matrix on all Star Alliance flights and again, give those when I call in to Aeroplan and hope their is availability.
3. If I wanted to check availability say on EVA or ANA etc., would I not have to be a member with them in order to log in and see if their is availability?

ANY thing else you can provide to assist me in this would be greatly appreciated and of course any beginner tips on getting the best bang for my buck on using my miles!

Appreciated.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Bravada04
1. When I am on the new web page and go through the process - at the end it comes up as using the full emails but also has the options if I want to possibly use some cash - except those options don't allow me to choose. If I go on my app those options become available? Is their a hiccup somewhere on the webpage that doesn't allow me to change my pricing options?
@Bravada04
I assume you meant "miles" not "emails"

As for your question as I quoted above, I went through the process to the Review page and here are 2 screen shots where I could see the options and select any of them. Is this what you were referring to?

Are the options greyed out on your screen? Which browser were you using? Was it regular or in private/incognito mode?

Old Mar 24, 2021, 10:07 am

Yes that is exactly what I am talking about. These options come up no problem on my app but on the desktop they are actually horizontal on the bottom of the page and says your redemption options. The points only one is already checked off and the others are all greyed out which I cannot select.
I am using both Chrome and Edge at home. Regular mode.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.