Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2021, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
Is it still possible with the new program to call in and feed them an itinerary segment by segment? What is the best way to search for availability and calculate how many points a specific itinerary would require on partner airlines?
Yes, it's still possible.

You can use AC, UA, or any other source you want to find availability.

For the price, just use gcmap.com to calculate your route's distance, and look it up in the Aeroplan chart.
unclepants and mapleg like this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 10:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by canadiancow

For the price, just use gcmap.com to calculate your route's distance, and look it up in the Aeroplan chart.
Excellent. Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2021, 8:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan,Alaska,Airmiles

If there is an Air Canada segment in a multi leg partner award, is there a way to know what it will price at prior to calling in and feeding the agent the flights? This tool isn't available on line yet?
Old Feb 7, 2021, 6:11 am

I think technically it must begin by then. But I haven't looked at it much since I have exactly one IKK booking.

Sorry newbie question here. What’s the difference between J AC reward that’s fully refundable and free changes to a J flexible reward? Does it mean that I can cancel the J reward and get all my points back if it’s fully refundable?
Old Feb 7, 2021, 3:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite 35K

With the optimism of 🇯🇵 Japan Olympics and Australia reopen on Qantas starting selling tickets in the US and 🇬🇧 UK, I decided to book a reward ticket with an Aeroplan agent, business as usual, same as prior to November 9th, except points required, all flights based on business lowest, 105000 points each way+ partner booking fee+airport taxes, refundable due to current Covid waiver.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
The new online booking tool is making my head spin, we decide to move our tip to the Maldives forward a day, on AC,com a Business award shows as 97% in business - YYZ-IAD on UA in Y, IAD-AUH on EY in J, AUH-MLE on EY in J. Meanwhile a First reward shows as 76% in First YYZ-IAD on UA in Y, IAD-AUH on EY in F, AUH-MLE on EY in Y.
I called in and asked for my First reward to be moved back a day but could they please book me in J for AUH-MLE (I want access to the FCL during the 5hr layover) this was no problem and I have a flight alert set up for the Y segment on UA
In a nutshell if you want to book a F reward with J segments, call in, as you cant do it online, and based on earlier feedback I have nothing on AC metal so moving to open i class shouldn't be a problem (hopefully)
Old Feb 8, 2021, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by terencelai
With the optimism of 🇯🇵 Japan Olympics and Australia reopen on Qantas starting selling tickets in the US and 🇬🇧 UK, I decided to book a reward ticket with an Aeroplan agent, business as usual, same as prior to November 9th, except points required, all flights based on business lowest, 105000 points each way+ partner booking fee+airport taxes, refundable due to current Covid waiver.

what were the taxes on this beauty ??

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 22, 2021 at 6:42 pm Reason: Remove large quoted image
Old Feb 9, 2021, 7:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite 35K
Originally Posted by WhisperjetYYZ
what were the taxes on this beauty ??
the taxes were minimal due to no fuel surcharge YQ, $379 plus partner booking fee and phone booking fee.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 5:49 am

Programs: AC SE
Has there been any chatter about when/if/how AC will deal with displaying mixed cabin rewards? It's so frustrating to see business class rewards that are actually only 7% or 13% in business class with the great majority in economy.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 6:54 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Has there been any chatter about when/if/how AC will deal with displaying mixed cabin rewards? It's so frustrating to see business class rewards that are actually only 7% or 13% in business class with the great majority in economy.
It would be great to have a filter in which you could set a threshold, i.e. only display itineraries with >75% in premium cabin.
ronjames likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 7:00 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
This is working as AC intends. The short version is, they've added a feature that turns the "mixed cabin" label red if the mix is below a certain threshold, but they've also offered the option for "business flexible" awards that usually cost ~10-20% more, but bump all the AC-metal flights into Business.

As an example, search YVR-MLE on March 1st. In the top 3 options, you'll see YVR-DEL-AUH-MLE and YVR-FRA-AUH-MLE, both of which show as Mixed Cabin rewards, but if you click on each one, you'll see that the DEL routing goes to 100% business if you choose "business flexible" while the FRA routing doesn't, because the mixed-cabin portion on the DEL routing is operated by AC, but on the FRA routing it's operated by EY.

If you want to get into more detail, read on: A deep dive on mixed-cabin awards with Mark Nasr

Originally Posted by jasdou
It would be great to have a filter in which you could set a threshold, i.e. only display itineraries with >75% in premium cabin.
I had the opportunity to ask about that, and the reason we probably won't be seeing that feature is that they are instead offering the option I described above. It's not a hard no, just a "not right now".
Old Feb 11, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by YOWgary
This is working as AC intends. The short version is, they've added a feature that turns the "mixed cabin" label red if the mix is below a certain threshold, but they've also offered the option for "business flexible" awards that usually cost ~10-20% more, but bump all the AC-metal flights into Business.
Am I right in thinking though that where that's not an issue (i.e., the entire route is already in J), it's just about flexibility? And if you're an SE for example, there's no additional benefit to going with the flexible version because you've already got those same benefits via status? Or are there other elements (maybe the Signature Lounge?) that kick in when on the flexible fare?
Old Feb 11, 2021, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Am I right in thinking though that where that's not an issue (i.e., the entire route is already in J), it's just about flexibility? And if you're an SE for example, there's no additional benefit to going with the flexible version because you've already got those same benefits via status? Or are there other elements (maybe the Signature Lounge?) that kick in when on the flexible fare?
Flexible J:
1. Puts AC segments in J
2. Gives you free changes and cancellations (so irrelevant if you're SE)
3. Gives you SS access, assuming you're departing YVR/YYZ on AC metal on an intercontinental flight, after the SS reopens

I have a SFO-YVR-LHR-YVR-SFO trip with the outbound in flexible and the return in lowest, specifically for SS access.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Flexible J:
2. Gives you free changes and cancellations (so irrelevant if you're SE)
3. Gives you SS access, assuming you're departing YVR/YYZ on AC metal on an intercontinental flight, after the SS reopens

I have a SFO-YVR-LHR-YVR-SFO trip with the outbound in flexible and the return in lowest, specifically for SS access.
I can't find the answer to this quickly, maybe because it's currently overridden by the February flexible-booking promo, but in past, if you booked a return flight with the outbound in one fare type, and the return in another, the most-restrictive set of fare conditions applied to the whole ticket, for the purpose of things like cancellation.

...if you book after Feb 28, won't the same still apply to a ticket constructed in this way?
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YOWgary
I can't find the answer to this quickly, maybe because it's currently overridden by the February flexible-booking promo, but in past, if you booked a return flight with the outbound in one fare type, and the return in another, the most-restrictive set of fare conditions applied to the whole ticket, for the purpose of things like cancellation.

...if you book after Feb 28, won't the same still apply to a ticket constructed in this way?
I was specifically responding to the "SE for example" part, but I could definite believe that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.