Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
The fees are fully detailed in the booking flow. For EWR-NRT:

Taxes, fees and charges
September 11th Security Fee - United States ($7.16x1). $7.16
Transportation International/Domestic Tax - United States ($24.42x1). $24.42
Right. But it didn't used to have this tax when booking the same flight from NY to NRT last year. Do you know if this is a new surcharge levied by the US government or if it is just a new way for Air Canada to charge more fees?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
Right. But it didn't used to have this tax when booking the same flight from NY to NRT last year. Do you know if this is a new surcharge levied by the US government or if it is just a new way for Air Canada to charge more fees?
Both.

The US CARES Act put the US Transportation tax and US Flight Segment Tax on tax holiday up to Dec 31, 2020. The holiday/exemption has now expired so is now levied by the US government.

However, award tickets are exempt from both of these taxes, however AC has a history of charging these taxes on award tickets anyways and has resumed doing so. See the previous discussion in this thread.

It's not clear whether these taxes are incorrectly charged and remitted by AC or just charged and pocketed.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by keithguy
Both.

The US CARES Act put the US Transportation tax and US Flight Segment Tax on tax holiday up to Dec 31, 2020. The holiday/exemption has now expired so is now levied by the US government.

However, award tickets are exempt from both of these taxes, however AC has a history of charging these taxes on award tickets anyways and has resumed doing so. See the previous discussion in this thread.

It's not clear whether these taxes are incorrectly charged and remitted by AC or just charged and pocketed.
Thank you, very informative and helpful.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Just out of curiousity: Has anyone who had Aeroplan black/diamond status last year received 25K status for 2021 as promised?
Old Jan 2, 2021, 5:37 pm

It’s just starting to hit me how much more the itineraries I’m used to flying are gonna cost with the new program. 😂
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Just out of curiousity: Has anyone who had Aeroplan black/diamond status last year received 25K status for 2021 as promised?
Id totally forgotten about this- Nope I havent seen it and I was Diamond.

Do you recall where the promo was listed? Prob on the old AP site which is gone now.....
Old Jan 3, 2021, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by muskoka
Id totally forgotten about this- Nope I havent seen it and I was Diamond.

Do you recall where the promo was listed? Prob on the old AP site which is gone now.....
You earned Diamond status by the end of February 2020?

Anything you earned in 2019 is irrelevant for this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You earned Diamond status by the end of February 2020?

Anything you earned in 2019 is irrelevant for this.
Looking at my notes, didn't AC promise that anyone who *had* Aeroplan Diamond status in 2020 would automatically receive 25K status in 2021?

(I though this was also applied to AE black members, but I#m starting to think that's incorrect)
Old Jan 3, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Pre Nov 8th You could download your transactions from both Altitude and Aeroplan. Under the new system, I am trying to figure this out. Is this option not available yet?
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC SE
Did anyone get their carryover SQM posted yet? (Either from threshold rewards or CC benefit)
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hypastyla
Did anyone get their carryover SQM posted yet? (Either from threshold rewards or CC benefit)
What threshold rewards?
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
What threshold rewards?
50k members who reach 60k SQM / 60 SQS can rollover 2.5k SQM
75k members can rollover 5k SQM when they hit 90k SQM or 90 SQS.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Hypastyla's profile says SE, which is why I'm asking.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:15 am

I thought they continue to carry over, my mistake. But the CC, that’s the important one
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:38 am

Has anyone booked points flights under the new program, then a) seen the points requirement decrease later on b) seen a mixed cabin open up to full business class?

I've booked several flights and have been keeping an eye on them for several weeks, but have not seen either of those changes. I'm just wondering whether it makes sense to continue tracking them from time to time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.