Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by guessaaa
Why would that be the case or even desired?
Depends whose 'desire' you're talking about here, doesn't it?

In the case of a reward booked for SFO-TPE on UA metal, it's a partner only reward that is not dynamically priced. Space is available with X/I only. If UA were to be cancelled, Aeroplan should rebook to BR metal as it did before if there is still X/I space as applicable.
You're basing this on customer-facing prices. If AC has a SFO-YVR-TPE with tons of space, it's to their considerable benefit to protect you on those flights, instead of paying BR to transport you.

Look at this in the other direction, I'll give a personal example. When the world ended back in March, I had to GFTO from Europe on a few hours' notice. One-way, same-day cash costs were astronomical, so I used points. All the AC-metal options had huge surcharges, and none were available in J, so I booked AMS-ZRH-YUL-YOW, for 55,000 points and a few dollars, with Swiss as the MSC.

When the AMS-ZRH segment went mechanical just before boarding, AC was happy to protect me into J on AMS-MUC-YYZ-YOW, without trying to charge me the additional cost.

I'm not suggesting that's never going to be frustrating for customers, if I'm booked SFO-TPE and find out I have to fly SFO-YVR-TPE, I'm going to be pissed. SFO-TPE may even be a bad example, I don't know how much latitude is offered to agents in a situation where prioritizing AC metal would turn 1 segment into 2, but the rules are clear that AC metal is to be prioritized when available.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If there's I-space, you can get whatever you want.

Under the new program, there isn't even a cost difference between any two partner non-stop flights.

In fact, if I were rebooked onto AC, I'd ask for my $39 back.
guessaaa and Adam Smith like this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If there's I-space, you can get whatever you want.

Under the new program, there isn't even a cost difference between any two partner non-stop flights.

In fact, if I were rebooked onto AC, I'd ask for my $39 back.
Sure, but if there's open I-space, it's really not a question of getting "protected" onto anything.

Looking back, I realize that from the discussion of "protected", I've been talking about this assuming that we're mainly talking about last-minute cancellations, or cancellations for which no easy award-space option exists, and I made that assumption without making it clear in my answers.
guessaaa likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Is it really that they won't protect you on another carrier, or that they will prioritize AC metal? The tariff certainly has required them to protect on another carrier in the past.
Ultimately time will tell, but judging by the endorsement comment, it's definitely at most the last option they consider.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
In case of involuntary reroute or schedule change on a dynamically priced reward ticket (therefore AC is the most significant carrier), it seems that AC will protect you only on AC metal for flights over the ocean.

This comment was included under fare endorsements:
Ticket endorsements refer to specific conditions attached to that specific document governing how it can and cannot be used, or providing context as to how this document was created. They can often be hard to read as various unrelated comments are strung together. They are also of less significance when the issuing airline and the operating airline are the same.

INVOL REROUTE is often added when the ticket is re-issued due to, well, and involuntary reroute. This is because invol rereoutes can often result in the passenger flying an itinerary that is not inline with the fare paid.

The VLD AC TRANSATLANTIC ONLY simply means that the ticket coupons are only valid payment for AC transatlantic flights, and another carrier couldn't take those coupons and submit them to AC for payment. This has nothing to do with what kind of protection or re-booking will be offered if the case of a schedule change or irregular operations. AC can re-issue a new document with whatever endorsement comments they want.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:40 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by D582
Ticket endorsements refer to specific conditions attached to that specific document governing how it can and cannot be used, or providing context as to how this document was created. They can often be hard to read as various unrelated comments are strung together. They are also of less significance when the issuing airline and the operating airline are the same.

INVOL REROUTE is often added when the ticket is re-issued due to, well, and involuntary reroute. This is because invol rereoutes can often result in the passenger flying an itinerary that is not inline with the fare paid.

The VLD AC TRANSATLANTIC ONLY simply means that the ticket coupons are only valid payment for AC transatlantic flights, and another carrier couldn't take those coupons and submit them to AC for payment. This has nothing to do with what kind of protection or re-booking will be offered if the case of a schedule change or irregular operations. AC can re-issue a new document with whatever endorsement comments they want.
Thanks for that detailed explanation
D582 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 12:30 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
Just want to confirm, under the new program, we can redeem Business Flexible and still able to get into the suite. Is the correct? Where does it say in AC site if it’s correct?

asked a few agents, they all had different answers.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 11:30 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Flyingbunny88
Just want to confirm, under the new program, we can redeem Business Flexible and still able to get into the suite. Is the correct? Where does it say in AC site if it’s correct?

asked a few agents, they all had different answers.
I just trolled around the AC website. As far as I can tell, nothing has changed since the cow posted this nearly a month ago:

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The only time that was ever mentioned was at the media event in July, when Mark Nasr said "Latitude" would get you in, which people interpreted as "business flexible".

There has been absolutely no official word on it. But I don't think they'd want to advertise it, given all Signature Suites are closed.

I think you'll have to wait until they reopen to figure out if it's actually a perk.
The page for the Signature Suite on the AC website still has the old access rules that have been in place since it opened.
Flyingbunny88 likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 11:30 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:36 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The old T&C were very clear about this. The new T&C say nothing about any restrictions on whom you can use them for.

I just trolled around the AC website. As far as I can tell, nothing has changed since the cow posted this nearly a month ago:

The page for the Signature Suite on the AC website still has the old access rules that have been in place since it opened.
But I believe YOWgary confirmed with Nasr that business flexible fares will get access and that they haven't updated the site because the SS is closed anyway.
Flyingbunny88 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
But I believe YOWgary confirmed with Nasr that business flexible fares will get access and that they haven't updated the site because the SS is closed anyway.
You're right. Curse FT's crappy search function again, and my poor memory. Time for me to go to bed.

That being said, the comment about the website in YOWgary's post was about not putting it in the booking engine since it's closed. I understand not wanting to give people the impression they'll be able to access something that may not be open when they travel, but it would AC them all of what, 5 minutes to update the access rules on the SSL page of the website to make this crystal clear for everyone?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors, Le Club Accor Platinum
Does a flexible business award ticket get all the perks from Signature Class Service? I read on here Signature Suite access was confirmed, but what about the Concierge Service or chauffeur service?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
Has anyone been getting their Aeroplan estore points or points earned from filling out surveys?

I bought several qualifying items from different retailers (Adidas, Lenovo, Indigo, etc.) from the Black Friday promotions, but have yet to receive anything. These estore purchases used to credit within a week.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TTC900Rocket
Has anyone been getting their Aeroplan estore points or points earned from filling out surveys?

I bought several qualifying items from different retailers (Adidas, Lenovo, Indigo, etc.) from the Black Friday promotions, but have yet to receive anything. These estore purchases used to credit within a week.
I've only received Amazon points through the eStore - no other purchases have posted. I'm in the same situation in regards to the Black Friday promotion. I tried submitting a request for missing points for one of my purchases (from Apple) and was told I had to wait 6-10 weeks for points to post and to report them missing at that time (if they haven't posted).
Old Dec 23, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by 1011TriStar
Does a flexible business award ticket get all the perks from Signature Class Service? I read on here Signature Suite access was confirmed, but what about the Concierge Service or chauffeur service?
Every Business Class ticket, whether paid, reward, or upgraded has always included concierge service for day of travel.
Chauffeur Service is for connections only, and has always been rather randomly haphazard.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Chauffeur Service is for connections only, and has always been rather randomly haphazard.
I have received Chauffeur service several times without connections on P/Z international fares out of YYZ (meet/greet after domestic security once you come down escalator).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.