Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Thanks. I guess for now we just have to take note prior to finalizing the booking, unless we want to call in...
Yup. It matters to me because I want to check from time to time to see if the same or similar flights would require fewer points.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Yup. It matters to me because I want to check from time to time to see if the same or similar flights would require fewer points.
Right. I wasn't questioning your rationale as you do you. Just good to know for future.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
There's nothing I can see on the PNR or e-ticket that indicates the cost of each bound.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:01 am

Married Segment

Hello,

I am quite frustrated by the new aeroplan system. Many agents have quoted air Canada prices and variable model for a ticket solely operated by partners. After 6 or so tries I get an agent who can price out a "partner" award but could secure two seats in business on one sector due to a "married segment" logic. Stating that only 1 seat is available for business class DEL-AUH-ATH and 1 is available J DEL-AUH ---- Y AUH-ATH. Although I did see, and still see a J seat available for the AUH-ATH flight. Does anyone have info on how to get around this?
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
Stating that only 1 seat is available for business class DEL-AUH-ATH and 1 is available J DEL-AUH ---- Y AUH-ATH. Although I did see, and still see a J seat available for the AUH-ATH flight. Does anyone have info on how to get around this?
HUCA.

​​​​​​For an all-partner-metal award, if there's still business award space visible on the leg you've currently got booked in Y, then any Aeroplan agent *should* be able to move you up no problem.

​​​​​​..."should".
Old Dec 21, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
In case of involuntary reroute or schedule change on a dynamically priced reward ticket (therefore AC is the most significant carrier), it seems that AC will protect you only on AC metal for flights over the ocean.

This comment was included under fare endorsements:
INVOL REROUTE VLD AC TRANSATLANTIC ONLY CXLFEE/CHGFEE -BG AC
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by guessaaa
In case of involuntary reroute or schedule change on a dynamically priced reward ticket (therefore AC is the most significant carrier), it seems that AC will protect you only on AC metal for flights over the ocean.

This comment was included under fare endorsements:
It's not that they'll protect you ONLY on AC metal for TPAC/TATL, but if AC metal is available, it's supposed to take priority.

That is to say, if your Aeroplan award were booked SFO-TPE on UA metal, and that UA flight got cancelled, an AC agent *should* prioritize SFO-YVR-TPE instead of putting you on the SFO-TPE direct with BR.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:17 pm

wondering anyone knows Aeroplan release AC seats in how many days? 355? at what time?

Thanks!

Last edited by ecgz88; Dec 21, 2020 at 6:25 pm
Old Dec 21, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ecgz88
wondering anyone knows Aeroplan release AC seats in how many days? 355? at what time?

Thanks!
If you search on the main page of AC.com you'll be able to search 355 days ahead. But once you're on the search result pages, you can change the dates and see 365 days ahead.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 8:31 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Remember that with the new program, AC no longer "releases" space to AC. Every AC seat is available for redemption, just a matter of price.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

Thanks!
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
If you search on the main page of AC.com you'll be able to search 355 days ahead. But once you're on the search result pages, you can change the dates and see 365 days ahead.
AC's flights are only released 360/361 days out though.
ecgz88 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 9:01 pm

yes, I find out is 361 days. and surprise me BR flight also can book 361 days out. so UA is 330 days? do you know what time AC release seats?

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
AC's flights are only released 360/361 days out though.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
yes, I find out is 361 days. and surprise me BR flight also can book 361 days out. so UA is 330 days? do you know what time AC release seats?
The time is left as an exercise for the reader.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 1:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by YOWgary
It's not that they'll protect you ONLY on AC metal for TPAC/TATL, but if AC metal is available, it's supposed to take priority.

That is to say, if your Aeroplan award were booked SFO-TPE on UA metal, and that UA flight got cancelled, an AC agent *should* prioritize SFO-YVR-TPE instead of putting you on the SFO-TPE direct with BR.
Why would that be the case or even desired?

In the case of a reward booked for SFO-TPE on UA metal, it's a partner only reward that is not dynamically priced. Space is available with X/I only. If UA were to be cancelled, Aeroplan should rebook to BR metal as it did before if there is still X/I space as applicable.

My point is if the reward booking is MSC on AC (which it would be as the transoceanic operator), the amount of points required for the booking may be lower than a partner MSC reward, and AC will not protect you on another carrier to cross the ocean.

On a random date:
SFO-(BR)-TPE = 50k in Y - BR is MSC
SFO-(AC)-YVR-(BR)-TPE = 50k as well in Y - BR is MSC
but...
SFO-(AC)-YVR-(AC)-TPE = 43k - AC is MSC
or
SFO-(AC)-YVR-(AC)-ICN-(TG)-TPE = 43k - AC is MSC
Old Dec 22, 2020, 1:49 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by guessaaa
My point is if the reward booking is MSC on AC (which it would be as the transoceanic operator), the amount of points required for the booking may be lower than a partner MSC reward, and AC will not protect you on another carrier to cross the ocean.
Is it really that they won't protect you on another carrier, or that they will prioritize AC metal? The tariff certainly has required them to protect on another carrier in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.