Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by SkyElite
If you are talking about the error message right before the RBC insurance quote, ignore it and keep scrolling, you will see booking options.

I just made two new bookings no problem.
I wish.

global.error.dxapi.37181

It is right after the passengers and contact info page. I should go to seat selection next but I get the error and only option is to resume last search.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyztozag
I heard that you'll have Signature Suite access on flexible J Aeroplan bookings, can anyone confirm? I would certainly be willing to pay more miles if I get SSL access on top of extra flexibility.
I'm not sure if anyone has further commented on this after the new program launched. I tried searching and couldn't find anything, so if this is a duplicate post I apologize. I was just told by the Concierge that a flexible reward in J does not get access to the Signature Suite. No awards qualify for entry. So, for a SE, there is no benefit I can see to paying the extra points for a flexible rather than lowest business class reward.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ac/elite
I'm not sure if anyone has further commented on this after the new program launched. I tried searching and couldn't find anything, so if this is a duplicate post I apologize. I was just told by the Concierge that a flexible reward in J does not get access to the Signature Suite. No awards qualify for entry. So, for a SE, there is no benefit I can see to paying the extra points for a flexible rather than lowest business class reward.
The only time that was ever mentioned was at the media event in July, when Mark Nasr said "Latitude" would get you in, which people interpreted as "business flexible".

There has been absolutely no official word on it. But I don't think they'd want to advertise it, given all Signature Suites are closed.

I think you'll have to wait until they reopen to figure out if it's actually a perk.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The only time that was ever mentioned was at the media event in July, when Mark Nasr said "Latitude" would get you in, which people interpreted as "business flexible".

There has been absolutely no official word on it. But I don't think they'd want to advertise it, given all Signature Suites are closed.

I think you'll have to wait until they reopen to figure out if it's actually a perk.
I think one of the blog posts said there's a substantial points premium on a latitude seat. Most likely not worth it.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare
I think one of the blog posts said there's a substantial points premium on a latitude seat. Most likely not worth it.
Very much the opposite.

The Standard-to-Lat delta with points is a fraction of what it is with cash. I worry that AC will nerf that over time, but for now, booking a Priority-Reward Lat award and eUpgrading is by far the best value in the whole program.
Captain Canuck and nexusCFX like this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
The premium on business flexible (Latitude is economy - it is never going to get you into the SS) isn't actually that high. That's verifiable without trusting the blogs.

It's about 12k on YYZ-HND on a random date. At 1 cent per point, I can easily eat and drink that value in the SS. At 2 cents, I'd probably need to be there for lunch and dinner.

Here's an interesting one. It clearly is factor my status into the changes and refundable lines, but none of the others.

I get a preferred seat on all fares.
I get 3 checked bags on all fares.
Standby is correct.
I get priority check-in on all fares.

I think they should be consistent on whether they show things based on the fare, or based on fare+status. Changing it halfway through the table is confusing.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 22, 2021 at 6:08 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Nov 28, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
The premium on business flexible (Latitude is economy - it is never going to get you into the SS) isn't actually that high. That's verifiable without trusting the blogs.

It's about 12k on YYZ-HND on a random date. At 1 cent per point, I can easily eat and drink that value in the SS. At 2 cents, I'd probably need to be there for lunch and dinner.
I was booking YVR-BNE using a priority reward (including a return from SYD). The difference was only about 7000 points so I might have done it if I was assured SSL access and that's why I called the concierge. He seemed pretty certain that once the SSs reopen, no reward fare class at all will allow access, even flexible business.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I was booking YVR-BNE using a priority reward (including a return from SYD). The difference was only about 7000 points so I might have done it if I was assured SSL access and that's why I called the concierge. He seemed pretty certain that once the SSs reopen, no reward fare class at all will allow access, even flexible business.
AC's front-line staff are notoriously ill-informed about AC's policies; during the program change-over, doubly so.

I've lost track of how many times this month alone, I've had three different AC staff assure me "I checked with my manager, this is definitely the answer" only to find out an hour later that the answer they gave was wrong.
painintheuk and canadiancow like this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 3:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
Return date Modifications after departure (reward fare)

Hi, under the new AE program, i was trying to recall which thread or answer would be appropriate for my inquiry as if i had flown the departure trip of my round trip of points redemption, would I still be able to make any modifications (earlier / later date) of my return trip?

Currently, I’m an SE.

1. what if the scenario is for myself and/or companion under the same reservation? Is it free of charge?
2. What if the scenario is for somebody else where i’m not in the ticket reservation (i redeem for my parents let’s say)? Is it free of charge?

Thank you!
Old Nov 29, 2020, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
AC's estimator tool prices it in the >500 band, starting at 10K.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...an/redeem.html
It seems that the predictor/estimator was wrong after all. When I search for actual YUL-YHZ award flights in economy or business class, the pricing reflects that YUL--YHZ is considered to be in the 0 to 500 miles band
Old Nov 29, 2020, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Sorry if this has been asked before, but when booking flights and you see a mixed cabin itinerary I can't see which legs are in what class. I'm able to see the class if I click through the booking process, but not when I start the search and see all the options.

Thanks.
On the results screen, click the mileage/fare box, that shows which leg(s) aren't in the chosen fare category.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by UA Fan
When booking awards at the old website, I would often get an error about difficulty converting taxes to USD or something like that. Is that issue still there in the new website?
I have no idea what USD error you're referring to.

Aeroplan redemptions have been CAD-only for years. Not 8 years, but many years.
Fair enough, but the error I'm referring to is when booking some international awards. It would say there was some difficulty converting foreign taxes to CAD or something like that. Has nobody encountered this error? Got it quite a few times.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 22, 2021 at 7:40 pm Reason: Remove quote of deleted post
Old Nov 29, 2020, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by tracon
On the results screen, click the mileage/fare box, that shows which leg(s) aren't in the chosen fare category.
Thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
AFAIK, the SSL access rules have not changed (once YYZ and YVR SSLs reopen):
New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

So the concierge seems correct about not allowing access to reward J, but given I'm not up to date with the new program I could be wrong (which means that the thread I reference above also needs a wiki update).
Old Nov 29, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I decided to call Aeroplan since I kept getting the global error message when trying to book. YYZ-YUL-CZM return CZM-YYZ

~40-45 minutes before I got an agent. Then another 45 minutes while he had issues booking the flight. He originally gave me a $275 quote for fees then 10 minutes later $250.

In the end I paid $196 (combined for 2 J fares)

And..

the quote both he saw I and saw online was 82,600 (41,300 each). Turns out I got billed 78,600 (39,300 each)

Last edited by mikeycanuk; Nov 29, 2020 at 5:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.