Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2020, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I just read a few blog posts about the new Aeroplan.

I can't believe how many of them are just wrong about so many things. In comparisons to the old program, I've seen things where they don't understand how it used to work or how it works now.
painintheuk and nexusCFX like this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm almost positive it's 0. You roll over SQM above the requirement for your status. Your status is SE, so you roll over up to 200k beyond 100k.
I agree. I would assume that you get 0 rollover unless you are beyond your current status. So as a 50k, if I had 60k SQM this year, I'd get 10k rolled over. If I earn 40k SQM this year, I'd get 0 rolled over. Any surprises are then a pleasant surprise! In my case, it would be a very tiny surprise, since what little travel I've done has been burning miles.

It's also a bit unclear how many of my e-ups will be rolled over, but hopefully more than 0 - and hopefully I can actually use them next year!

Dr. PITUK
Old Nov 16, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

I can't believe how many of them are just wrong about so many things. In comparisons to the old program, I've seen things where they don't understand how it used to work or how it works now.
I hope your frustration with other bloggers will drive you to write some more posts yourself.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE

What are some things that they don't understand? What are some of those specific blog posts? It seems the US bloggers were hyping up the new Aeroplan as well.

My personal favorite is the newbies guide to eUps....
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:12 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Indeed, that would be a big problem... I hadn't really anticipated this as a consequence of the program switch.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
What are some things that they don't understand? What are some of those specific blog posts? It seems the US bloggers were hyping up the new Aeroplan as well.

My personal favorite is the newbies guide to eUps....
I've yet to see this 5000pts stopover being mentioned anywhere official yet all bloggers are advertising it?
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:24 pm

Hopefully that's the biggest problem!
Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:09 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

To your point, we should tackle updating the sticky FAQ topics concerning the program(s) once things have stabilized a bit.

A noob reading through AC FT would be very confused right about now if they looked at what's there now.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Until the seat deflates. Haven't heard that they've actually done the replacements on the 777 and 787. Maybe people have forgotten this is a thing after so many months of COVID but I have not forgotten getting burned on an LAX-YYZ red-eye, and YYZ-CDG.

I booked YYZ-HND for 63k for October which is a terrific deal, but I am no stranger to deflating pods and will probably end up grabbing something on ANA/JAL out of NYC/ORD instead if the pricing is similar. I'm speculating pretty hard while every booking is refundable though. I can just hold the booking for months and maybe I'll find out they did replace the seats bladders.

Once AC gets their act together with the seats, then sure, I would probably fly YYZ-HND over YYZ-ORD-TYO, etc. To HKG I would still probably try to book CX for a similar rate, AC doesn't fly to TPE so that's still BR, and since nobody flies direct to Singapore, I'd rather do YYZ-TPE-SIN on EVA rather than YYZ-TYO-SIN on AC/NH unless the AC routing was substantially cheaper.

I think the open question for me is what the pricing on AC is going to be long-term. They were previously so stingy with releasing seats. Now they're selling YYZ-HND for 63k on a bunch of dates, or an instantly upgradeable latitude Y fare for 50k? Is this just oddness due to the new program, or because of COVID? Same with dates where YYZ-SFO is 89k for signature class, but you can just pay 22k for a latitude fare and instantly clear with 4 eUps? I can't see that holding long term. So I guess for me it'll come down to whether the premise of AC being the same or cheaper actually holds up long-term.
AC flew to TPE from YVR pre-COVID. I don't know now.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was brought up at the do last night, but Mark Nasr and Scott O'Leary have a 90 minute video where they answer some questions.

Code:
https://www.facebook.com/pointsmilesandbling/videos/644878252851420
(FT seems to be hiding the link when I do it normally)

I found the following points interesting:
1. US credit card definitely coming sometime in 2021
2. November 9 is 60% of what they wanted to launch. The other 40% is still coming. (for example, the new booking/change engine for rewards)
3. Two or three exciting partner announcements coming within the next 3 months.
4. Definitely expect elite/card preferred pricing to change. Expect better discounts for higher tier elites, more premium cards, high usage on cards, etc. Increased differentiation between tiers. Basically, if you're at the top end of status or cards, don't bother booking anything now.
5. Award search calendar is coming before end of year. It's built, it's coded, they're just tuning the queries.
6. For any changes to redeemed SE IKKs, they will honor the old price. So everyone who made speculative bookings should be happy. I even just cancelled one because I didn't need that trip any more.
7. How the next year plays out will affect how they tweak status qualification, but they will definitely not require the currently published criteria.
8. With rollover SQM, 60% of elite members would be one status tier higher
Is $599/year not high enough? Is there a market for a higher tier card? If so, I hope the perks and earn rate will be much better. Not sure what you meant by high usage on cards. I'm assuming these "premium cards" will come out in 2021?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I wonder if we can expect competitive offerings here given the different markets? The now-discontinued TD US Aeroplan card definitely wasn't, and any super premium card won't be very competitive if the benefit is still "MLL access" instead of MLL membership, considering the United Club card gives you a full UC membership that works at *A partner lounges.

But I guess that depends on whether the hope is to get more people wanting to fly AC, maybe connecting via Canada to elsewhere, or if it's just a token offering for people who frequently cross the border and have US banking.
I agree with you. The old TD Aeroplan card wss terrible. Are you talking about the new Chase UA Visa Infinite? Its UA Club membership permit entry to any *A lounge when flying *A?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:27 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by lsquare
AC flew to TPE from YVR pre-COVID. I don't know now.
No AC flights to TPE at the moment. Last I heard was that could restart in 2021, but really uncertain right now.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Is $599/year not high enough? Is there a market for a higher tier card? If so, I hope the perks and earn rate will be much better. Not sure what you meant by high usage on cards. I'm assuming these "premium cards" will come out in 2021?
The 599 cards are the more premium ones. I'm saying that right now, the preferred pricing is basically the same whether your annual fee is 89, 199, or 599. That will change.
unclepants, lsquare and YOWRON like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 24, 2021 at 9:38 am Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
No the Premium card is the $599 one. They are not coming out with anymore cards apart from a USD one. Mark seems to allude that if you spend a lot on those "premium" cards you will see meaningful discounts on AC dynamic pricing for that member.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
No the Premium card is the $599 one. They are not coming out with anymore cards apart from a USD one. Mark seems to allude that if you spend a lot on those "premium" cards you will see meaningful discounts on AC dynamic pricing for that member.
Not just spend (but that is another factor). It seems like the preferred pricing is just in very preliminary stages. If you ignore fluctuations of more than 500 points right now, there are basically two prices:
Status or CC
No status and no CC

It sounds like we'll get to a point where the distinction between status levels, credit cards, and CC spend will actually become meaningful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.