Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by martyYOW
I've had 2 post very quickly (within 72 hours) and at least 5 more purchases that haven't posted. The Order History on the eStore isn't very helpful as I have one that's posted that still shows up as pending. 1 of my missing orders is listed but none of my other orders are.
I thought the order history was only for merchandise through the estore (i.e. purchased via points), not for partner purchases - but it does show my Apple store purchase. None of my missing purchases (Lenovo) are there. I was hoping it would be a bit more reliable. I hate the back/forth for missing points
Old Dec 8, 2020, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I hope AC retained some old Aeroplan call center staff. Those were always good people to work with unlike AC phone staff.
My understanding is that the cuts were pretty strictly seniority-based, and that the *least*-experienced staff still working at the AP call center now, have been there for at least 5 years.

I share your hope that when things pick up again, AC will do a massively better job of training its phone staff. They used to have this one guy who knew the system backwards and forwards, but he was a diamond in the rough for sure.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
With the new program going from Jan 1 - Dec 31, there's no need for status sweeps - it's all covered as part of early recognition. But I wonder when they'll downgrade members. Jan 1 isn't likely, as flights from Dec 29 - 31 likely haven't posted. Maybe Jan 15 to allow any flights to post and to resolve any discrepencies?
Old Dec 10, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by YOWgary
My understanding is that the cuts were pretty strictly seniority-based, and that the *least*-experienced staff still working at the AP call center now, have been there for at least 5 years.

I share your hope that when things pick up again, AC will do a massively better job of training its phone staff. They used to have this one guy who knew the system backwards and forwards, but he was a diamond in the rough for sure.
We're definitely at a place where you get a different answer depending on who you talk to - for AC, Aeroplan, and the Concierge. With all the schedule changes I was told "the robot" wouldn't complete a cancellation of a Aeroplan booking. This was after being told by the Concierge that Aeroplan told her that the taxes are "never refunded right away" which is of course totally wrong and that I should wait 1-5 days for the refund to go back into my account. Had I simply left it, it is pretty clear that the system would never have refunded the booking without it being done manually by an agent.

It is massively frustrating when you have to do things 3 or 4 times until you get someone who knows what they are doing. This business of a different answer every time is extremely poor. It is even worse when they argue with you about something where you are obviously correct. Given time to explain the situation, I have had 3 agents now backpedal on what they initially told me and then correct the issue.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
With a partner reward booked in X, will the partner airline charge for baggage according to their own baggage fee schedule for X fares, or will they charge based on AC's fee schedule which can range from $0 to $70+ based on the X fare purchased? Assuming no status of course.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 5:52 pm

Has anyone figured out what the global.error.dxapi.37181 issue is and how to get around it? I noticed last month someone on this thread had the same issue and had to call in to book. It comes up after the passenger info page right when the seat selection page should come up. Nothing I change in the passenger section seems to make a difference.

Last edited by gospelle; Dec 16, 2020 at 5:59 pm Reason: added photo
Old Dec 16, 2020, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by gospelle
Has anyone figured out what the global.error.dxapi.37181 issue is and how to get around it? I noticed last month someone on this thread had the same issue and had to call in to book. It comes up after the passenger info page right when the seat selection page should come up. Nothing I change in the passenger section seems to make a difference.

@gospelle

The Dec 12 date you show in your screen shot, was that from your search last month for Dec 2020, or Dec 2021?
AC suspended service to Australia some time ago.

On AC.com, I see BNE-YVR non-stop on Dec 1 2021, but it's greyed out after Dec 5 2021
Old Dec 16, 2020, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
@gospelle

The Dec 12 date you show in your screen shot, was that from your search last month for Dec 2020, or Dec 2021?
AC suspended service to Australia some time ago.

On AC.com, I see BNE-YVR non-stop on Dec 1 2021, but it's greyed out after Dec 5 2021
I called in and got it straightened out.

Last edited by gospelle; Dec 16, 2020 at 6:32 pm
Old Dec 16, 2020, 6:35 pm
Suspended

The screen shot was from about 15 minutes ago for Dec 12 2021. The dates extend further on a desktop than they do on mobile devices.
Hmm, I was on my desktop, using Chrome Incognito......

I called in and got it straightened out.
Great to hear.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So the credit card tiers are definitely showing in status fields on the PNR.

Anyone have just the most basic card (TD Aeroplan Platinum, CIBC Aeroplan Visa) and want to share a PNR with me?

And does anyone know what the name of the low-end card is? I've seen "Silver" and "Grey".

Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:07 pm
Suspended

From CIBC....

Deleted images.

Last edited by 24left; Dec 17, 2020 at 6:15 pm
Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:10 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
From CIBC
I don't think that answers the question of what colour AC calls it in their system though. For what it's worth, the middle card could easily be called "grey" based on that photo, but they've chosen "slate" as their designation for it. And maybe the bottom card could be "platinum", or "silver", or "grey".
Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm clearly asking for the generic color name, given that I had the TD and CIBC branded names in the post where I asked.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: AC SE
Is there a way, after booking a points flight, to see how many points were spent on each part of the itinerary? So, for example, I booked two J seats from YYZ-SYD. Am I able to see the breakdown of how many points it cost me to fly YYZ-SYD versus what it cost me to fly SYD-YYZ?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Is there a way, after booking a points flight, to see how many points were spent on each part of the itinerary? So, for example, I booked two J seats from YYZ-SYD. Am I able to see the breakdown of how many points it cost me to fly YYZ-SYD versus what it cost me to fly SYD-YYZ?
Was there a breakdown shown during the booking process? (I'm asking because I don't know)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.