Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Changing, cancelling, re-booking tickets issued under the old Aeroplan program

Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SE 100K

Quick question for all the knowledgeable folks here...Quick questions re: bookings made PRIOR to the launch of the new program (So before Oct 28th).

What will the cancellation policy be for these sorts of trips? ie) Trip booked for travel Sept – Oct 2021.
If I had to cancel it sometime in 2021 or closer to the date of travel, would it be a full refund on points / taxes minus the cancellation fee? Or fall under the rules of the new program?
Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Quick question for all the knowledgeable folks here...Quick questions re: bookings made PRIOR to the launch of the new program (So before Oct 28th).

What will the cancellation policy be for these sorts of trips? ie) Trip booked for travel Sept – Oct 2021.
If I had to cancel it sometime in 2021 or closer to the date of travel, would it be a full refund on points / taxes minus the cancellation fee? Or fall under the rules of the new program?
Few things here:
  1. New program launches November 8, 2020, not October 28
  2. The Cancellation Policy for tickets booked under the current system is outlined under the "Transitional Terms and Conditions" for the new program, which is linked here. Main points for your query:
    • (i) changes or cancellations to a Flight Reward ticket will be subject to a flat change or cancellation fee of CDN $100 per Flight Reward ticket plus applicable taxes, fees and charges
    • and (iii) any changes to a Flight Reward ticket will be subject to the revised pricing and policies of the new Aeroplan Flight Rewards which can be viewed here.
So yes, full points refund minus the $100 and taxes/fees/charges/etc.

Last edited by lemmeTAN; Sep 9, 2020 at 2:23 pm Reason: formatting
Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by lemmeTAN
Few things here:
  1. New program launches November 8, 2020, not October 28.

Thanks for the reply.
My impression was Oct 28th was the last date to book rewards under the old program rules (but perhaps I read that incorrectly somewhere)...
Old Nov 4, 2020, 10:44 pm

Programs: AC SEMM

So changes to AE rewards are currently permitted at no charge. Can a AE reward YVR-LHR booked now for travel in 2021 be changed to YVR-CPH ( same zone/ reward )but with different dates in 2021 ? Or is it simply refundable and we would need to book the new routing under the new rules and points in place after Nov 8 ?
Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
So changes to AE rewards are currently permitted at no charge. Can a AE reward YVR-LHR booked now for travel in 2021 be changed to YVR-CPH ( same zone/ reward )but with different dates in 2021 ? Or is it simply refundable and we would need to book the new routing under the new rules and points in place after Nov 8 ?
If you make a voluntary change to the date/origin/destination or routing after November 8, the points required will be recalculated under the new schedule.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 5:53 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
If you make a voluntary change to the date/origin/destination or routing after November 8, the points required will be recalculated under the new schedule.
I haven't seen details on how this is different with involuntary changes, do you have info you can share?
Old Nov 5, 2020, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
I haven't seen details on how this is different with involuntary changes, do you have info you can share?
Sadly no, only speculation that invol changes *should* be given grace to rebook on the same O/D without ADC. I've got a booking January that I'm 99% sure will have an Invol change by the end of the month if not sooner (the longhaul segment on a no-YQ carrier has not operated at all in 2020), so I'll get to try it first hand I guess.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Smile

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Sadly no, only speculation that invol changes *should* be given grace to rebook on the same O/D without ADC. I've got a booking January that I'm 99% sure will have an Invol change by the end of the month if not sooner (the longhaul segment on a no-YQ carrier has not operated at all in 2020), so I'll get to try it first hand I guess.
I'm in the same boat except in April. Pretty sure I'm going to be hit with major invol changes. The odds feel 50/50 whether invol changes will incur ADC or repricing through the new system... I'll be looking forward to your report!
Old Nov 9, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond
Anyone have any experience (I realize we are on day 1) with canceling older Aeroplan bookings? First thing I noticed is that the new site doesn't have a warning page before cancelling -- the old site would tell you the amount of points you'd be getting and the refund of taxes. I just clicked "cancel" and the site just confirmed the cancellation. But, my points did not get put into my account. Not sure if there's a lag because the ticket was a pre-new site booking?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 22, 2021 at 11:46 pm Reason: Clean-up after thread move
Old Nov 9, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by Sam_AE
Anyone have any experience (I realize we are on day 1) with canceling older Aeroplan bookings? First thing I noticed is that the new site doesn't have a warning page before cancelling -- the old site would tell you the amount of points you'd be getting and the refund of taxes. I just clicked "cancel" and the site just confirmed the cancellation. But, my points did not get put into my account. Not sure if there's a lag because the ticket was a pre-new site booking?
This happened to me just now, which is quite surprising and frustrating. Will have to call AP tomorrow morning to sort it out.

No warning whatsoever when you click on “Cancel”.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Sam_AE
Exact same experience here.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC*100K MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ksm06
Exact same experience here.
So I'm on the Air Canada app and went to look at a booking I have. I clicked the "CANCEL BOOKING" to see what the options are. Boom! Booking cancelled. All I get form AC is an email saying "We're sorry to see you go. Your flight has been cancelled" Theres no information on where my points or taxes/fees went. As I booked this before the new program came into play, I would assume, as a Super Elite, that free cancellations would be honored. Just on with Aeroplan (who shockingly is having IT issues today) and they say there no refund pending. The lady who is very pleasant had to speak to another department and it could take some time. So I'm waiting for a call back to see what my options are.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by dinotoon
So I'm on the Air Canada app and went to look at a booking I have. I clicked the "CANCEL BOOKING" to see what the options are. Boom! Booking cancelled. All I get form AC is an email saying "We're sorry to see you go. Your flight has been cancelled" Theres no information on where my points or taxes/fees went. As I booked this before the new program came into play, I would assume, as a Super Elite, that free cancellations would be honored. Just on with Aeroplan (who shockingly is having IT issues today) and they say there no refund pending. The lady who is very pleasant had to speak to another department and it could take some time. So I'm waiting for a call back to see what my options are.
All aeroplan bookings have free cancellations until at least end of the year regardless of status.

I certainly hope refund is coming. Most importantly, where are the points?
Old Nov 9, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond
Let us know what you find out. I suspect this is a transition issue -- they may need to post these refunds manually.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 4:03 pm

Please keep us posted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.