Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: Nexus
Looking to book YYZ to BKK in the fall of 2021 in J.

Lots of availability on Aeroplan but not with Etihad. There is availability via IAD and there is YYZ to IAD availability however this does not show as an option.

Is this a bookable routing if I call AC Aeroplan?

YYZ -- IAD -- AUH -- BKK
Old Feb 11, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
I called in to book my mixed J/F itinerary and fed the agent the flights I wanted that all showed as available online
Old Feb 11, 2021, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cmgalan
Looking to book YYZ to BKK in the fall of 2021 in J.

Lots of availability on Aeroplan but not with Etihad. There is availability via IAD and there is YYZ to IAD availability however this does not show as an option.

Is this a bookable routing if I call AC Aeroplan?

YYZ -- IAD -- AUH -- BKK
Yes, that's a perfectly valid routing if you can find availability.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 5:33 pm

Does anyone know how to check the points earned progress in a calendar year under the new system on Aeroplan website? I ask because under the old website, it was a readily available feature that made it easy to keep track of that, but I don’t see that feature anymore. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by IntermittentFlyer
Does anyone know how to check the points earned progress in a calendar year under the new system on Aeroplan website? I ask because under the old website, it was a readily available feature that made it easy to keep track of that, but I don’t see that feature anymore. Thanks in advance.
Are you asking specifically about the ability to download the .csv format of your activities?

If yes, others here have also mentioned having liked that feature on the old Altitude and Aeroplan sites, which is not available on the new Aeroplan.

Otherwise, the current option offers a drop down menu of time options but depending on your activity, it may not include all unless you save them often.

Old Feb 11, 2021, 6:52 pm

Indeed the .csv format capability was a nice feature under the old program. As a minimum, for the time being, I think it'll be good to be able to see on the get-go the total accumulated points for a given period of time, at the top of the page as it was the case under the old program.

While the drop-down menu allows to see the points accumulated for individual transaction for a given period of time, one would have to select then copy and paste them into another format and calculate the sum (if feasible) which is a fairly cumbersome process.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:36 pm

Programs: Nexus
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Yes, that's a perfectly valid routing if you can find availability.
Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2021, 1:09 pm

CIBC reinstated on its Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege website page language clearly indicating that cardholders get to bring one guest for free (scroll down and open the terms and conditions section):
https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-ban...lege-card.html
A primary cardholder and each authorized user with a CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege Card will each be able to offer 1 guest complimentary access to any Maple Leaf Lounge located in Canada and the United States, including International Maple Leaf Lounges in Canada and the United States when travelling on an international itinerary, (each, a “Guest Pass”) through November 7, 2021.
TD and Amex's premium/black card don't have such language in their official terms and conditions

Last edited by hoipolloi; Feb 14, 2021 at 1:34 pm
Old Feb 14, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by YOWgary
All of this said, I have yet to hear from a single SE who doesn't think the loss of IKK is a kick in the junk.
Yep.

I found it a weird transition.. I understand that the new priority rewards are up to Business Class for SEs , but still seems a big step down.

Still tryin to figure out all the ins and outs for SEs.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:49 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Plumber
Yep.

I found it a weird transition.. I understand that the new priority rewards are up to Business Class for SEs , but still seems a big step down.

Still tryin to figure out all the ins and outs for SEs.
Remember that as a SE you now get a snack and drink up to a certain amount if seated in Y. Took them years to implement that but glad they are catching up to their US counterparts.

SE priority rewards can be insanely valuable if used right. If you like to book international mRTWs in J, there is opportunity there or booking 6 intercontinental on a single ticket.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I picked a random date and found a YOW-YVR in J for 22.5k.

So while it's arguably not as good as before (this is actually the flight I'd want to take on that date, and it costs 2.5k less than under the old program), a little flexibility should keep things reasonable for you.

​​​​​​​
I missed your blog post earlier, breaking down pricing YYZ-YVR, and I was shocked at the results you found.

I plugged those dates into the search engine, intending to look at whether we're starting to see better discounts for status and/or premium cards, and it's worth noting that without logging in, I'm seeing multiple direct widebody-J options a day at 28.2K, that were showing up at >100K during your intial search back in November.

This isn't me taking a shot at your post, I think you built a solid breakdown of the results, this is me pointing out that since you ran those sample searches, they seem to have re-priced a lot of those flights to lower levels.

Maybe they saw your post and came to their senses, maybe it's the "algorithm tuning" that was hinted at back in December, but either way, things seem to have improved.

It's also worth noting that when I do log in, the 28,200-point awards become 22,900s, but the 72,400-point awards become 58,600s, and the 103,900 only drops to 100,300.

Stranger still, AC 127 only drops from 25,000 to 22,300.

All those flights are J9 C9 and at least P7 R6, and every flight is priced identically aside from the widebody surcharge.

I'm baffled. Anyone?
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by YOWgary; Feb 15, 2021 at 8:22 pm
Old Feb 15, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
I missed your blog post earlier, breaking down pricing YYZ-YVR, and I was shocked at the results you found.
Remember that the cow is a blogger now (just like you!) so he does back up his posts with solid insights. Might be time for another blog post on your site to explore this?

I'm baffled. Anyone?
I believe someone mentioned this earlier/in another thread that the pts to cash is based on a fixed amount. 1.4 pts per $ or something. Hence if the Revenue ticket changes then the Redemption amount changes. Minus a few minor deductions for CC and Status, it is pretty consistent across the board.

This might be improved as the system recognizes heavy CC spend as Mark Nasr alluded to (folks will be rewarded based on a higher status level and based on their spend with their co-brands).
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:16 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
I believe someone mentioned this earlier/in another thread that the pts to cash is based on a fixed amount. 1.4 pts per $ or something. Hence if the Revenue ticket changes then the Redemption amount changes.
No, it's not. As illustrated in YOWgary's example. It's easy to find plenty of examples of cash prices diverging significantly from points. For another example, look at YYC-YUL on March 9. The connecting flights are all at a substantial premium for cash, but on points are almost the same.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:17 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Remember that the cow is a blogger now (just like you!) so he does back up his posts with solid insights. Might be time for another blog post on your site to explore this?
I thought I'd been clear that I thought Cow's post was well put together and insightful. Apparently I missed the mark on that, so to clarify: I was shocked by the data he uncovered.

I believe someone mentioned this earlier/in another thread that the pts to cash is based on a fixed amount. 1.4 pts per $ or something. Hence if the Revenue ticket changes then the Redemption amount changes. Minus a few minor deductions for CC and Status, it is pretty consistent across the board.
As I said above, what I'm seeing now is a complete decoupling of "cash cost" and "points cost", which we already knew, as well as new data that suggests membership discount is not fixed as we previously thought, but also determined algorithmically, and in a way that doesn't follow a pattern I've yet been able to identify.

If you're referring to the "cash plus points" payment option, yes, I believe that operates on a fairly fixed ratio.

This might be improved as the system recognizes heavy CC spend as Mark Nasr alluded to (folks will be rewarded based on a higher status level and based on their spend with their co-brands).
While that might be the case, I can certify that heavy credit-card spend is not a factor in whatever discounts I'm personally receiving, and nor is revenue miles flown.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 2:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Unclear whether we are getting new membership cards this year. In past years I seem to recall there was a virtual card that could be downloaded to your phone.

AC agent couldn’t confirm any of this and didn’t know where to find a virtual card. I’ve searched around the website but no success. Would appreciate any advice about virtual cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.