Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Unclear whether we are getting new membership cards this year. In past years I seem to recall there was a virtual card that could be downloaded to your phone.

AC agent couldn’t confirm any of this and didn’t know where to find a virtual card. I’ve searched around the website but no success. Would appreciate any advice about virtual cards.
You can get the Digital Card from the App - go to Aeroplan, then tap on the Card image at the top...for iOS at least.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Unclear whether we are getting new membership cards this year. In past years I seem to recall there was a virtual card that could be downloaded to your phone.

AC agent couldn’t confirm any of this and didn’t know where to find a virtual card. I’ve searched around the website but no success. Would appreciate any advice about virtual cards.
Got my new card and tags 2 weeks ago.
But as stated above, I finally caved to the digital masters and almost exclusively use the digital card from the app on my phone now.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
You can get the Digital Card from the App - go to Aeroplan, then tap on the Card image at the top...for iOS at least.
Thanks!

When I logged into website and then went thru to AE there was a card image (upper left corner) but no dates so I didn’t think that was the virtual card. Did you mean something different? I’ve seen this in Chrome and IOS.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:25 pm

Download the app for your phone, it automatically populates a digital card.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:51 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Thanks!

When I logged into website and then went thru to AE there was a card image (upper left corner) but no dates so I didn’t think that was the virtual card. Did you mean something different? I’ve seen this in Chrome and IOS.
You should be getting E50 cards and tags though, but as others have said the digital card is also available.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Many thanks for the instructions. Lots of “clicking” around but I got it. Could certainly be easier if there were instructions or an obvious way to find it. Your help was most appreciated.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:36 pm

Funny, the topic got me to pop onto the app and after almost 6 months of disuse, and a slight change to the layout with the new Aeroplan I had to hunt around a bit to find it too.
Just another reminder that AC interfaces and intuitive are oxymorons. How hard to add little "tap for official Digital card"?
Old Mar 3, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
On iOS you tap the Aeroplan tab at the bottom and the first thing you see is a card shape showing your status level, balance, etc. It has a QR icon indicating that if you tap it you’ll get the scannable code for the card.

Doesn’t seem particularly hidden or complicated being the very first and most prominent thing on the Aeroplan tab but maybe the UI differs on Android and that’s where folks are having issues? I saw iOS mentioned by someone earlier though. It’s pretty standard UI.
ChrisA330 likes this.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Mar 3, 2021 at 1:48 pm
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:10 pm

Same on Android.
I missed it, looking for the tab that I thought used to bring it up and basically scrolled right by the card.
Many people, (more common my age and older) don't know what that symbol means. I only learned in the last couple years and my wife last year. It doesn't jump out to me instinctively like text does yet.
You could argue therefore it was user error, not poor design, but just suggesting that a line of text would help many users.

Note to mods: please move if more appropriate in app thread. Didn't realize we started drifting off topic.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by FlY2XS
Funny, the topic got me to pop onto the app and after almost 6 months of disuse, and a slight change to the layout with the new Aeroplan I had to hunt around a bit to find it too.
Just another reminder that AC interfaces and intuitive are oxymorons. How hard to add little "tap for official Digital card"?
or your IT/UI savviness is becoming rusty
nexusCFX and FlY2XS like this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
Just changed my reward ticket for early May as 2 J seats came available on YYZ-AUH on EY. Now when I check my booking i get a ticketing error is it worth a call or should I wait 24 hrs?
Old Mar 17, 2021, 11:37 pm

Something interesting for me by my records. Do others see the same? The T&C for the card state that there is a 1k bonus for $5k spend. Looking at my last 5 months, it seems that this is a monthly assignment with no carryover even though the T+C don't specify it as a monthly benefit. I have looked and couldn't find a specific reference to monthly benefit. I have only seen bonus miles based on each month's balance and not on a cumulative value. I am sure that lawyers would happily debate this, but as far as I am concerned, my understanding of the contract means I will earn about 5000 SQM less than I expected based on the promise of 1000 SQM per 5000 dollar spend.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Something interesting for me by my records. Do others see the same? The T&C for the card state that there is a 1k bonus for $5k spend. Looking at my last 5 months, it seems that this is a monthly assignment with no carryover even though the T+C don't specify it as a monthly benefit. I have looked and couldn't find a specific reference to monthly benefit. I have only seen bonus miles based on each month's balance and not on a cumulative value. I am sure that lawyers would happily debate this, but as far as I am concerned, my understanding of the contract means I will earn about 5000 SQM less than I expected based on the promise of 1000 SQM per 5000 dollar spend.
I don’t think what you’re describing is correct. My sense of what I’ve received is that it has been cumulative.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
I don’t think what you’re describing is correct. My sense of what I’ve received is that it has been cumulative.
I think it is less about policy and more about wonky implementation. I actually hold multiple CC and have observed different behaviours from all of them. For instance the Amex Reserve card does not consistently apply amounts of timing (seemingly being weeks after statement production) a Mid Jan statement posted early Feb and a Mid Feb statement STILL hasn't posted (and trust me, I spent multiples of 5k that month). The CIBC one seems to be the cleanest. I'm noticing cumulative earnings and it seems to post same day as the statement.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Ok. I dug into my Amex a bit and I'm highly concerned. I looked more carefully at the end where it talks about Aeroplan and such and saw something about a limit of $10k?

I checked my Terms and Conditions for the Reserve and I see NOTHING about a limit...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.