Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: AC SE
What happened to the post about the message from AC about crediting you some SQM and SQD if you choose the Lower Re-Qualification Level for this years Status benefits?
I have not chosen mine yet, normally choose that one, was not planning on it this year, but with this change and the rollover of SQM and SQD - it is enticing
Old May 27, 2021, 11:11 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by caziz
What happened to the post about the message from AC about crediting you some SQM and SQD if you choose the Lower Re-Qualification Level for this years Status benefits?
I have not chosen mine yet, normally choose that one, was not planning on it this year, but with this change and the rollover of SQM and SQD - it is enticing
That benefit was part of the 2022 status extension announcement and was moved to that thread: Air Canada extends Elite status and Priority Rewards to 2022, adds SQx rollover

2021 status privileges have a dedicated thread as well, to discuss the privileges, which ones people are selecting, etc: 2021 AC Status Privileges
Old May 27, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
That benefit was part of the 2022 status extension announcement and was moved to that thread: Air Canada extends Elite status and Priority Rewards to 2022, adds SQx rollover

2021 status privileges have a dedicated thread as well, to discuss the privileges, which ones people are selecting, etc: 2021 AC Status Privileges
Too bad they're not doing the same for 2020 travel / spend. I accumulated 66,692 SQM / 15 SQS / 11,382 SQD in Jan-Mar 2020 before everything shut down.
Old May 27, 2021, 2:52 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Test post 1
Old May 27, 2021, 2:52 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Test post 2
Old May 27, 2021, 5:56 pm

So, is the reference below for AC flights only? I am confused as to why the PDF shows a "fixed" number for partner bookings falling into a certain distance range but the agent comes up with a number wildly higher than that?

Additionally are can a logical West-Eastbound itinerary have a stopover and be considered a single "one way?"

Welcome to FT

Aeroplan no longer has an award chart. Prices are now dynamic. The ranges shown in those tables are indicative, and what you actually have to pay can be within them, or more, or less. Often more, rarely less.

If you see very high cash fares, it's unlikely that the price will be within the quoted range.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 27, 2021 at 6:18 pm Reason: Fixed quote
Old May 27, 2021, 6:17 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
So, is the reference below for AC flights only? I am confused as to why the PDF shows a "fixed" number for partner bookings falling into a certain distance range but the agent comes up with a number wildly higher than that?
It's true that there's a chart for itineraries that have flights only on partner airlines. As soon as you introduce an AC metal segment, dynamic pricing applies. It's supposed to be pro-rated for that segment (so, for example, a really expensive AC metal YYZ-EWR shouldn't massively inflate the cost of a YYZ-EWR-JNB-SIN-NRT-YYZ itinerary that's otherwise all on partner metal), but it's not really transparent how those are priced.

Can you detail the itinerary and cost?

Additionally are can a logical West-Eastbound itinerary have a stopover and be considered a single "one way?"
Possibly. What's the itinerary you have in mind?
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
My understanding of the new AE program is that the points “price” is directly tied to the revenue tx price. Have I got that wrong?

Example: I’m monitoring a transborder itinerary many months down the road. Revenue $ have not changed (J). Points have gone up for same seat/itinerary. While seat map is not definitive, nothing has changed there either.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Bartolo
My understanding of the new AE program is that the points “price” is directly tied to the revenue tx price. Have I got that wrong?

Example: I’m monitoring a transborder itinerary many months down the road. Revenue $ have not changed (J). Points have gone up for same seat/itinerary. While seat map is not definitive, nothing has changed there either.
It's a little more complex than that:

(1) AC releases a limited number of seats at the "saver" level, i.e. roughly at the lower end of the published pricing band (e.g. 60k AE points for a one-way J TATL AC flight)

(2) More generally, for most awards AC uses a "semi-dynamic" pricing model whereby the cost of the award is loosely tied to the cost of a revenue ticket, but is also based on other RM considerations. You typically get 1.5cpm-2.5cm in value for your AE points

(3) for "high-demand" / "last seat availability", the value of AE points is less variable and tends to be in the <1.5cpm range
unclepants and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
It's a little more complex than that:

(1) AC releases a limited number of seats at the "saver" level, i.e. roughly at the lower end of the published pricing band (e.g. 60k AE points for a one-way J TATL AC flight)

(2) More generally, for most awards AC uses a "semi-dynamic" pricing model whereby the cost of the award is loosely tied to the cost of a revenue ticket, but is also based on other RM considerations. You typically get 1.5cpm-2.5cm in value for your AE points

(3) for "high-demand" / "last seat availability", the value of AE points is less variable and tends to be in the <1.5cpm range
Thanks, Jasper2009. Not nearly as good as it originally sounded.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:04 pm

Thanks, Jasper2009. Not nearly as good as it originally sounded.
I ask this question out of genuine curiosity, but can you elaborate on what you expected? AC/Aeroplan had been running Market Fare for quite a few years, and the new program looks a lot like that. Dynamic pricing at other airlines (e.g. DL) also has generally resulted in much higher award costs than under old charts. I can't say I'm thrilled with many aspects of the new program, and overall it's probably a net negative for me as SE, but it's roughly what I had expected.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 9:35 am

I ask this question out of genuine curiosity, but can you elaborate on what you expected? AC/Aeroplan had been running Market Fare for quite a few years, and the new program looks a lot like that. Dynamic pricing at other airlines (e.g. DL) also has generally resulted in much higher award costs than under old charts. I can't say I'm thrilled with many aspects of the new program, and overall it's probably a net negative for me as SE, but it's roughly what I had expected.

To be honest, not sure what I expected as still trying to “learn” my way around the new program. Since my flying has been almost non-existent in the last year, I haven’t had a lot of reason to get into this. Although, I recall one of the blogs stating long haul (Europe, Asia, especially in J) would be more of a saving under the new program.

Trying to be hopeful about the resumption of travel, I’m “studying” 😊. The itinerary I’m looking at used to cost 25K one way in J (classic). I even had a market fare on this route some time ago for considerably less than what AC is now quoting. It’s true that the fees are certainly less now. Slight correction — the revenue tx dropped in price over the last couple of weeks. Based on what I recalled, I expected the points cost would drop accordingly. I originally posted my question because this did not happen and I was surprised. But, I didn’t have enough experience with the new program to know why this was the case.

I was taken-a-back when nothing else appeared to change to see the cost in points had increased a lot. I keep notes every time I check, so I’m really certain of my figures. ATM revenue is much better value for my route. On the other hand I’ve got in excess of 1M points.....

Most appreciative of feedback/questions from you and @Jasper2009 as I work on this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspurr
In reference to my original post and the posts that came after, it is my understanding that dynamic pricing only applies to flights on AC. For partner airlines the award price is fixed, is it not? Therefore if a legal itinerary with a stopover is all on other carriers and there is availability on the Aeroplan site, they shouldn't be charging more than an extra 5K should they?

"Assuming YYZ-EWR is operated by UA and not AC, that's 100% correct."

This is the frustrating part. All partner awards have "dynamic" pricing. Even though the award chart has a fixed number.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Anyone noticed random / dynamic availability on partner flights?

ie) J showing up as available for a few days, gone for a few days, then pops back up?
Not sure if this is new or there's a reason behind it.

(No, I don't have EF so don't have alerts / can't monitor fare buckets).
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:00 pm

To be honest, not sure what I expected as still trying to “learn” my way around the new program. Since my flying has been almost non-existent in the last year, I haven’t had a lot of reason to get into this. Although, I recall one of the blogs stating long haul (Europe, Asia, especially in J) would be more of a saving under the new program.

Trying to be hopeful about the resumption of travel, I’m “studying” 😊. The itinerary I’m looking at used to cost 25K one way in J (classic). I even had a market fare on this route some time ago for considerably less than what AC is now quoting. It’s true that the fees are certainly less now. Slight correction — the revenue tx dropped in price over the last couple of weeks. Based on what I recalled, I expected the points cost would drop accordingly. I originally posted my question because this did not happen and I was surprised. But, I didn’t have enough experience with the new program to know why this was the case.

I was taken-a-back when nothing else appeared to change to see the cost in points had increased a lot. I keep notes every time I check, so I’m really certain of my figures. ATM revenue is much better value for my route. On the other hand I’ve got in excess of 1M points.....

Most appreciative of feedback/questions from you and @Jasper2009 as I work on this.
I think we're all still getting a handle on it.

When you say 25K one-way, I presume you're referring to intra-North America J? That has certainly seen a massive increase most of the times I've looked. Of course, availability used to be awful for those without IKK, so perhaps for some, being offered the ability to fly YVR-EWR in J as opposed to YVR-YEG-YWG-YYZ-EWR is valuable. But I've seen close to 100K points, round trip, many times for things that I could have previously almost certainly booked for 50K. So it appears to be a pretty poor value spot in the new program. Then again, when you look at the ridiculous cash fares that AC charges for intra-North America J, it's not all that surprising. For that type of travel, the better value may be to book a Latitude reward and then upgrade it.

Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspurr
In reference to my original post and the posts that came after, it is my understanding that dynamic pricing only applies to flights on AC. For partner airlines the award price is fixed, is it not? Therefore if a legal itinerary with a stopover is all on other carriers and there is availability on the Aeroplan site, they shouldn't be charging more than an extra 5K should they?

"Assuming YYZ-EWR is operated by UA and not AC, that's 100% correct."

This is the frustrating part. All partner awards have "dynamic" pricing. Even though the award chart has a fixed number.
I have yet to see an all-partner award that has dynamic pricing. They've either been available at the levels cited in the chart or not at all. Can you give us some examples?

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Anyone noticed random / dynamic availability on partner flights?

ie) J showing up as available for a few days, gone for a few days, then pops back up?
Not sure if this is new or there's a reason behind it.
Are you talking about availability on the same flight(s), or on a particular airline? Either way, it wouldn't be the first time that has happened, so I don't think I'd call it new.

(No, I don't have EF so don't have alerts / can't monitor fare buckets).
If you're hoping for seats to open up on some route or routes so that you can book them, the US$99 a year is a pretty good investment. Especially given how bloody slow the AC site is, EF can save you a bunch of time.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 2, 2021 at 9:28 pm Reason: Corrected typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.