Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by kalderlake
You can sign up for United's website, and do calendar searches there. Then once you find the flights you like, go to AE to confirm.

Saver awards correspond to J flights available, generally, on AE.

Do note that United won't show availability for non-Star Alliance flights eg Etihad.
Search results on United will show the fare class the seats are in. Anything in "X" or "I" (the one between H and J) can be booked on any Star Alliance partner in economy or business, respectively.

Also note that United *will* show availability for some seats AC can't book, including lots of United's own seats, particularly in Saver Economy, as well as Aer Lingus and flights on Copa metal ticketed in "G".
Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:25 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ajcopley
re: Calendar Search. I'm looking to use points on partner airlines for upcoming summer travel. I'm flexible on dates. How the heck am I expected to do this without having a calendar of availability??? For real....am I really expected to try each and every single date combination? Or do I really need to get on the phone and have an agent do the searching for me? Can't believe they'd go live with that important piece of functionality (available on every other airline in existence today) being available.
Now that so many more seats are available, on AC metal at least, it shouldn't be as hard to find any availability as it used to be. That may not be the case for itineraries involving partners, but perhaps they felt that a calendar function was less important as a result.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
They've made it very clear they think it's very important, but the options were:
1. Launch without it
2. Wait for Amadeus to add some necessary functionality, then launch the new program
unclepants, D582, YOWgary and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 7:40 pm

Points based on Number of Passengers?

In the new world of a dynamic award chart is it possible points required for an award flight is dependent on the number of passengers on the itinerary???

looking for award space for 3 pax and on the same date with the exact same flights it costs 150K pts one way for each passenger on the same itinerary. However, searching for 1 pax on the exact same dates/flights the points required drops to 70K pts. So i know there is award space for 3 pax but the pts required differ based on search.

I am wondering if it's possible to book 3 separate tickets vs 1 and be able to get the flight for 70K pts each, any thoughts on this? thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by sxc234
In the new world of a dynamic award chart is it possible points required for an award flight is dependent on the number of passengers on the itinerary???

looking for award space for 3 pax and on the same date with the exact same flights it costs 150K pts one way for each passenger on the same itinerary. However, searching for 1 pax on the exact same dates/flights the points required drops to 70K pts. So i know there is award space for 3 pax but the pts required differ based on search.

I am wondering if it's possible to book 3 separate tickets vs 1 and be able to get the flight for 70K pts each, any thoughts on this? thanks.
Entirely possible that there's 1 or 2 seats available at the lower rate, and the 3rd at a higher cost, or even a different cost for each seat.
unclepants, sxc234 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That's exactly how revenue fares work.

If a flight is Z3 P2, and you want 3 seats, you're paying the Z fare. If you buy 2 and 1, you're paying 2 P fares and 1 Z fare.

I'd be tempted to search for 2. If it's 140, book 2 then 1. If it's 220, book 1 then 2.

But you're not going to get 3x70.

"So i know there is award space for 3 pax" - No. There's space for 3 pax. AC no longer has "award space". All space can be bought with points.
sxc234 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
So, who's ready for some good news?

This is without my 75K or credit-card discounts.

I was actually going to book the same flight on a different date, but decided to go with YVR-BNE to bring it down to the previous tier and saved 8k points (business) * 2 pax. In case you wanted to save some miles at the cost of an extra flight
Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I can't figure out the pricing for some routes. I'm looking at flights from YYZ to HEL via FRA in September and I see them for 70k. But if I search YUL-HEL for the same date, I see YUL-YYZ-FRA-HEL for 57.5k points. What the heck?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
I can't figure out the pricing for some routes. I'm looking at flights from YYZ to HEL via FRA in September and I see them for 70k. But if I search YUL-HEL for the same date, I see YUL-YYZ-FRA-HEL for 57.5k points. What the heck?
Keep in mind that there's no longer an award chart, and flights on AC metal are priced dynamically. Just as you might see a YUL-HEL revenue ticket be cheaper than a YYZ-HEL one, a points ticket may now also be cheaper. At times, this may be a good thing, and at others not so good. But we're probably going to encounter this kind of thing plenty in the new program.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Keep in mind that there's no longer an award chart, and flights on AC metal are priced dynamically. Just as you might see a YUL-HEL revenue ticket be cheaper than a YYZ-HEL one, a points ticket may now also be cheaper. At times, this may be a good thing, and at others not so good. But we're probably going to encounter this kind of thing plenty in the new program.
I guess I'll have to decide if it's better to take the train to Montreal only to fly back to Toronto or just pay more points.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's exactly how revenue fares work.

If a flight is Z3 P2, and you want 3 seats, you're paying the Z fare. If you buy 2 and 1, you're paying 2 P fares and 1 Z fare.

I'd be tempted to search for 2. If it's 140, book 2 then 1. If it's 220, book 1 then 2.

But you're not going to get 3x70.

"So i know there is award space for 3 pax" - No. There's space for 3 pax. AC no longer has "award space". All space can be bought with points.
thank you, i still have to adjust my mindset with the new program. likely saved me a trial and error for going through the trouble to try and book 3 separate tickets. will just have to keep searching!
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:36 am

I guess I'll have to decide if it's better to take the train to Montreal only to fly back to Toronto or just pay more points.
What about shifting your dates a day or two? That can also have a meaningful impact on pricing, at times.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What about shifting your dates a day or two? That can also have a meaningful impact on pricing, at times.
No luck. It's still between 67-70K. It's like the system thinks YYZ is further away so it should cost more points.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:10 am

No luck. It's still between 67-70K. It's like the system thinks YYZ is further away so it should cost more points.
That's a 4,000-6,000-mile distance band, so that's not what's happening here.

There are countless examples of cash and points pricing being based on the origin/destination pair. For example, last night I booked YOW-YVR direct for just over $100, and I'll take the ferry over to Nanaimo instead of paying $496 to fly the exact same aircraft to Vancouver and then add a 12-minute flight to YCD.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 8:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC no longer has "award space". All space can be bought with points.
Sure, but aren't X and I fares dedicated to award redemptions, hence "award space"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.