Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2020, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pappypappy
So the new programme is working exactly as I expected it to. Rather than using SKK to open up additional seats as SE we're now all in the same pool, meaning I can get a small number of 50% seats on flights which are already marked as unavailable because they are more than 25% full in J 11 months out. Sometimes it sucks to be right...
Every flight is available unless it's 100% full.

And even then I'm not sure, because there's no reason not to accept $2000 of points to overbook a flight.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Every flight is available unless it's 100% full.

And even then I'm not sure, because there's no reason not to accept $2000 of points to overbook a flight.
Really? I am looking now and flights with a dozen open J seats just flag as unavailable for points. And even worse some disappear when I turn on a priority reward. This is October to Europe in J.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 6:56 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Really? I am looking now and flights with a dozen open J seats just flag as unavailable for points. And even worse some disappear when I turn on a priority reward. This is October to Europe in J.
That's not how it's supposed to work. Can you provide details on flights, dates, etc?
Old Dec 24, 2020, 7:10 pm

Sure - I was looking for YEG to LHR. I get these for points and $ respectively. I did think it should work as you said (that the points cost just rose as the buckets filled) - but I just get classes blocked out.

Old Dec 24, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Sure - I was looking for YEG to LHR. I get these for points and $ respectively. I did think it should work as you said (that the points cost just rose as the buckets filled) - but I just get classes blocked out.
This may be an oddity introduced by the first segment having no J cabin. Notice how YYC-LHR is bookable in J with points on that date? I think if you called in you could get them to price it out.

EDIT: Oddly enough it does show up for me on Sept 22, and I'm not even logged in.

YOWgary likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 7:26 pm

Heh. I confess that the first time I went to the 'new' aeroplan site, I groaned at the realization that we would now be using AC IT. Which seems to spend its budget on spinning logos...

Appreciate you guys sanity-checking me.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 7:30 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Heh. I confess that the first time I went to the 'new' aeroplan site, I groaned at the realization that we would now be using AC IT. Which seems to spend its budget on spinning logos...

Appreciate you guys sanity-checking me.
Well, if it was the old Aeroplan site you would have just gotten approximately 3 search results max, the best of which being YEG-YYC-YYZ-LHR where only YYC-YYZ was in business on the A320. New site is infinitely better in terms of the results produced, issues like this aside.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Remember when they said we'd have a redemption calendar by EOY

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 10:46 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Remember when they said we'd have a redemption calendar by EOY
good one! Calendar search, who needs that anyway?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 10:47 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC SE
What happened to AC Bistro (promo) codes?

Does anyone recall what happened with the AC onboard bistro codes that were a status benefit (i.e. the promo codes that could be viewed from the Altitude Dashboard and could be added to economy reservations)? From my recollection, I thought I saw some wording to say that the current 2020/2021 codes were still valid to book until ~Feb 28 2021, but wouldn't be viewable on the Aeroplan website after the launch of the new program in November. I seem to recall some wording that AC would e-mail out the unused codes to members with the launch of the new program, but don't seem to recall getting anything. I can't seem to find that wording on the AC website any more. Anyone have the exact wording/details on what was happening with these, and any way to retrieve them?
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gcashin
Does anyone recall what happened with the AC onboard bistro codes that were a status benefit (i.e. the promo codes that could be viewed from the Altitude Dashboard and could be added to economy reservations)? From my recollection, I thought I saw some wording to say that the current 2020/2021 codes were still valid to book until ~Feb 28 2021, but wouldn't be viewable on the Aeroplan website after the launch of the new program in November. I seem to recall some wording that AC would e-mail out the unused codes to members with the launch of the new program, but don't seem to recall getting anything. I can't seem to find that wording on the AC website any more. Anyone have the exact wording/details on what was happening with these, and any way to retrieve them?
They did say they would email them out.

In my mind, it was "shortly after the launch of the new program".

I don't have much more to say than that though.
gcashin likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Is there a time frame where the "enhanced" booking engine will be available. It is a challenge to put together the stopovers at present.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 7:22 pm

They did say they would email them out.

In my mind, it was "shortly after the launch of the new program".

I don't have much more to say than that though.
I remember the same, but haven't received new 'BISTRO' codes yet. Not sure how/if they will work if they are not offered again in the future.

Dr. PITUK
Old Jan 1, 2021, 12:41 pm

So I understand the dumb new $39 partner booking fee. But why did US Taxes go up? Before I could book on Aeroplan from NYC to Tokyo on UA metal with the standard $5.60 fee. Now, there is $32 in fees and taxes charged in addition to the partner booking fee. Is this some COVID-related government change I am not aware of, or is it a new way to nickle and dime customers by Air Canada? Thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
So I understand the dumb new $39 partner booking fee. But why did US Taxes go up? Before I could book on Aeroplan from NYC to Tokyo on UA metal with the standard $5.60 fee. Now, there is $32 in fees and taxes charged in addition to the partner booking fee. Is this some COVID-related government change I am not aware of, or is it a new way to nickle and dime customers by Air Canada? Thanks.
The fees are fully detailed in the booking flow. For EWR-NRT:

Taxes, fees and charges
September 11th Security Fee - United States ($7.16x1). $7.16
Transportation International/Domestic Tax - United States ($24.42x1). $24.42

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.