Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by yyznomad
AFAIK, the SSL access rules have not changed (once YYZ and YVR SSLs reopen):
New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

So the concierge seems correct about not allowing access to reward J, but given I'm not up to date with the new program I could be wrong (which means that the thread I reference above also needs a wiki update).
I thought if you book the "Flexible J" reward instead of "Lowest J" reward you would obtain access to the SS as those would be booked into the J, C, D, Z, P bucket instead of award I bucket. Guess we will find out once the SS opens again in 2021.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
I thought if you book the "Flexible J" reward instead of "Lowest J" reward you would obtain access to the SS as those would be booked into the J, C, D, Z, P bucket instead of award I bucket. Guess we will find out once the SS opens again in 2021.
So given that you can book all fare types now, do they book into the respective classes as well? Or is it Standard X, Flex X, Latitude X, and then Business Lowest I, and then there is an exception for Flexible J that books into regular buckets?
Old Nov 30, 2020, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
My Flexible Business class reward fare for YVR-SYD is fare code "I". Not sure where this idea of flex reward access to Signature Suites Lounge started, but I think it's not supported by any facts.

Last edited by gospelle; Nov 30, 2020 at 9:01 am Reason: added "reward"
Old Nov 30, 2020, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gospelle
My Flexible Business class reward fare for YVR-SYD is fare code "I". Not sure where this idea of flex reward access to Signature Suites Lounge started, but I think it's not supported by any facts.
If I-space is available, lowest and flexible both book into it. If only Z is available, both will book into Z. It's the fare basis code that determines what you're entitled to.

The idea came from Mark Nasr making an obviously incorrect comment at the press event, which was then picked up by bloggers.
These bloggers generally don't know nearly enough about AC to question things like this.
But due to lack of sufficient details directly from AC, these bloggers became the primary source of information for everything, and here we are with this unsubstantiated rumor.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/aeropl...rd-redemption/

Aeroplan members will be able to book three categories of Air Canada redemptions. Standard, the lowest-cost awards, will carry a change fee and a-la-carte services. Flex, the next tier, offers at least 50% off award redeposit fees, plus access to Air Canada’s Signature Suite on business-class awards. Meanwhile, Latitude includes Signature Suite access, plus no-fee changes and refunds.
That was clearly written by someone who has zero knowledge of AC's branded fares. Flex and Business Flexible are not the same thing.

https://viewfromthewing.com/air-cana...oplan-program/

Air Canada was early to the game of ‘branded fares,’ different bundles of services and fee options at different price points. This exists for awards as well. In one huge gain, business class ‘flex’ and ‘latitude’ fares include Signature Suite lounge access. Awards and upgrades didn’t used to let customers use Air Canada’s Signature Suite lounges at all and these are the best business class lounges in North America.
VFTW was a bit better here, but regardless of whether Business Flexible includes access, there is simply no way that Latitude will, so I don't particularly trust these statements at all, until AC actually mentions something.

The current access rules don't make sense with redemptions, because you can get business lowest in J, and business flexible in I. They'd need to rewrite the rules to discuss fare basis, rather than fare class, and change the actual entry terminals to follow that pattern (which would also eliminate IRROPS rebookings of I/R from gaining entry).
lsquare and hoipolloi like this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The idea came from Mark Nasr making an obviously incorrect comment at the press event, which was then picked up by bloggers.
​​​​​​I know as many as eight people anywhere in the world, who would feel confident dismissing a public announcement about the new Aeroplan from Air Canada's VP of Loyalty as "obviously incorrect", and they're all on FT.

I think you're right about the Latitude part at least, but then again I only count myself among the "that doesn't sound right, let's follow up on that" crowd.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YOWgary
​​​​​​I know as many as eight people anywhere in the world, who would feel confident dismissing a public announcement about the new Aeroplan from Air Canada's VP of Loyalty as "obviously incorrect", and they're all on FT.

I think you're right about the Latitude part at least, but then again I only count myself among the "that doesn't sound right, let's follow up on that" crowd.
You're a blogger. Why not email him and ask?

And let's be clear. This was not a "public announcement". This was a remark he made to a bunch of press at a private event. People make incorrect remarks all the time. But when the press have no idea what they're talking about, it never occurs to them that it might be incorrect. There was a 2 (?) week embargo. They had weeks to follow up with any questions, but as far as I know, none of them thought it sounded even remotely implausible.

And on the Latitude front, then what about PY Flexible? It doesn't make sense that flexible Y would get in but not flexible PY. Not that either of those situations makes any sense given the marketing around the SS.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 10:20 am

You're a blogger. Why not email him and ask?
Honestly? Covering that detail just plain hasn't been high on my priority list, it's a pretty niche outcome that only a fraction of AC passengers even know they should be considering. Heck, I'd be curious to know what percentage of actually-eligible paid-J passengers actually use the Suite.

And let's be clear. This was not a "public announcement". This was a remark he made to a bunch of press at a private event.
People make incorrect remarks all the time. But when the press have no idea what they're talking about, it never occurs to them that it might be incorrect.
It was an event whose sole purpose was to publicize the details of the new Aeroplan program. I agree that the embargo left ample time to follow up that detail, but my point is that *knowing* that that's a detail that requires follow-up assumes that your average journalist or blogger has the same depth of detailed Aeroplan knowledge that really only exists among a few dozen fanatics here on FT, a few of whom probably know the program in deeper detail than Mark Nasr does.

More to the point, look how many hyper-fanatics here on FT didn't just automatically dismiss this as impossible.

I'm just saying that in this case, "it should have been obvious to anyone that this was wrong" might be expecting too much.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 10:29 am
Original Poster

More to the point, look how many hyper-fanatics here on FT didn't just automatically dismiss this as impossible.

I'm just saying that in this case, "it should have been obvious to anyone that this was wrong" might be expecting too much.
I do not dismiss "business flexible" as being impossible. I think it's quite possible. There's just no documentation on it.

So talking just about Latitude, if we replace "anyone" with "anyone who understands what the Signature Suite is and what Latitude is", I stand by it.

I'll also take a step back, and say it might have just been something poorly worded on Mark's part. I wasn't there. I don't have a quote.

But it could have been "Latitude bookings have no change fees. Same for business flexible. Oh and that gets you into the Signature Suite too." A little ambiguous, but would easily explain the reporting on it.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I do not dismiss "business flexible" as being impossible. I think it's quite possible. There's just no documentation on it.

So talking just about Latitude, if we replace "anyone" with "anyone who understands what the Signature Suite is and what Latitude is", I stand by it.

I'll also take a step back, and say it might have just been something poorly worded on Mark's part. I wasn't there. I don't have a quote.

But it could have been "Latitude bookings have no change fees. Same for business flexible. Oh and that gets you into the Signature Suite too." A little ambiguous, but would easily explain the reporting on it.
If reward bookings are to act like revenue with the exception of accumulation it would make sense that all business reward fares have access, or none of them if you're still going to restrict to revenue/cash only (my preference is the latter). But to allow just flexible business rewards is really confusing.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: no status
Flight Reward Chart

I had a look at the new Flight Reward Chart and the level of devaluation is difficult to assess as the flights are now all distance based one way. I redeemed two mini RTWs in First for 120k and more recent two Business roundtrips to Europe for 110k, and on first glance it looks like these kinds of trips now require substantially more points. Has anyone actually calculated levels of devaluation for some common trip scenarios?

Last edited by Merlin666; Nov 30, 2020 at 9:15 pm
Old Nov 30, 2020, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Merlin666
I had a look at the new Flight Reward Chart and the level of devaluation is difficult to assess as the flights are now all distance based one way. I redeemed two mini RTWs in First for 120k and more recent two Business roundtrips to Europe for 90k, and on first glance it looks like these kinds of trips now require substantially more points. Has anyone actually calculated levels of devaluation for some common trip scenarios?
Yes, several of us have. Is there any particular math you're trying to get to, or are you just looking to tell yourself How Bad Things Have Gotten? Honestly, whether the new program represents a huge improvement or a total disaster *really* depends on where you're trying to fly and what status you hold. In my personal view, the new program is much worse for SEs, but massively better for 75Ks, with everyone else falling in between.

YYZ-LHR got a lot worse if you're an SE, while YVR-TYO got a lot better for everyone. YHZ-YYZ-YVR-SYD has gone way up, while TLV-IST has cut almost in half.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you talk about 90K business round-trips to Europe in the context of a devaluation. The previous cost of NA-Europe in J was a fixed 110K round-trip, so are you telling us you've booked cheaper trips since the changeover?
unclepants and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Seen & noted in an email today from Aeroplan:

Starting today, Aeroplan Members making new eligible international round-trip bookings until and including January 31, 2021 with Air Canada, will receive complimentary Manulife COVID-19 Emergency Medical and Quarantine Insurance, underwritten by The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company (Manulife). Travel must be completed by April 12, 2021.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:00 pm

Mark Nasr reached out to me today and confirmed that "Business Flexible and First Flexible awards will, indeed, have Signature Suite access if the passenger is departing on AC in Business class from YYZ or YVR. In the rewards world, it has nothing to do with the booking code - it's all in the branded fare selection".

He also noted that they're not making any mention of this on the booking engine because the Suites are currently closed.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Mark Nasr reached out to me today and confirmed that "Business Flexible and First Flexible awards will, indeed, have Signature Suite access if the passenger is departing on AC in Business class from YYZ or YVR. In the rewards world, it has nothing to do with the booking code - it's all in the branded fare selection".

He also noted that they're not making any mention of this on the booking engine because the Suites are currently closed.
Good to hear. Definitely not Latitude though
D582 and hoipolloi like this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:18 pm

Good to hear. Definitely not Latitude though
...aren't you glad a diligent blogger followed up on that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.