Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by knifeandfork
Fine.

Then BA has to pay for that. And the UK education system has to provide that.

Again: you can't have it both ways. You can't have a body of cabin crew who know their white Burgundy from their Armagnac and pay them 12k p.a. plus benefits.

Truly, you get what you pay for.
Very true guv.

Some BA passengers need to get a grip on reality and stop living in the past.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:18 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by Speedbirdjclass
The 'lets contract with each other CSM' im sure he used to work for Britannia years ago, minus the goaty ??? But really mindless management speak where everyone is rolling there eyes inside there head, think WHAT?? Just cant help thinking a lot of the trainers, CSM etc. were very patronising.

I couldn't help thinking also that you can get treated better getting paid more else where....
I'm not a fan of some of the 'business speak' either but each branch and generation has its own way to communicate, language evolves and is a living thing (even more so now that English is the international working language) and with our modern, social media driven world the cycle is only getting shorter for drastic changes...anyway, I digress!

I really just wanted to say that I have been lucky enough to have met that CSM and he was one of the nicest, most motivated chaps you could hope to have onboard interacting with you, representing BA and the new aircraft. I know many other FTers have met him as well and feel the same way. Indeed the CSM is (or used to be) on FT, so very much an aviation enthusiast as well.

I do hope people realise that it is very easy to criticise but when one is on the other side of the cameras (and they are always rolling...) and then watched their own performance, I wonder whether the comments would be the same?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:46 am

Yes. Also, like, no.

Originally Posted by BOH
They do manage it because I didn't hear anything quite so grating from the other recruits on the course. Only one recruit stood out negatively......as soon as the sentence with the multiple "like" word was uttered.
I hear you. But I must assume that you're quite oblivious to the business of television, "narrative" and "structured reality."

I'm terrifically important and impressive. I work in TV and film. Many close friends of mine in LA work as reality TV casting directors and show-runners. That said, I'll admit, my area of the coalmine is more pulling faces for money, not "reality."

You have no idea what the other recruits are like. You say "only one stood out." Yes, because the editing led you there. They will have got, not a word of a lie, hundreds of hours of raw footage. With that sort of material to cut down to a 58:45 hour of BBC television they can make anyone look like anything. Anything.

The three that were highlighted through the edit were Jodi, the "ebullient" Patrick who got sh!tcanned and the girl we saw being very impressive with her fire dill in the lavs. We have no idea about the rest

My money is on the "narrative" that Jodi is a girl from the wrong side of the tracks, someone who skirts extremely funking close to a failing number of "snapshots" and yet triumphs in the end.

It's Chinatown, Jake. It really is.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
OK folks - lets just stop dissing a poor girl that is trying hard. I do think that a programme about BA could have focused more on things that appeal to us geeks, such as the engineering and programming side, however we are not all geeks and we must remember that they are trying to appeal to the masses!

I actually quite liked Jodi - I thought she showed an old fashioned aspect as to why folks want to be cabin crew - ...... life and want to see the world - I most certainly do not judge her or knock her for that thought!

Who are we to judge - I fly First regularly and CW most of my other trips - however when I meet Cabin Crew who have an 'accent' or who don't know white from red wines I don't mind as long as I get a smile and feel they are genuinely trying to help or try. In fact what I really hate is the ones that think they should be sat next to me in First and that serving me my dinner is really beneath them - we have all met the type!

I also think the programme failed to point out that Cabin Crew generally tend to work their way to First so will learnt the wines and etiquette - and it really is not their fault when the food is crap!

In fact it was the chef in the programme that I disliked the most! He came across as arrogant and self opinionated - I would love to have seen his face when the feedback about the food started to come in from the First pax! It may be worth him reading the reviews on the food and being a little less worried about sauces and a bit more worried about taste!

All in all I liked the programme - I am someone who travels a fair bit and thought the first episode gave a good flavour of BA.

aks120

Last edited by aks120; Jun 5, 2014 at 12:20 pm Reason: and another thing!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
Suggest you listen to her again. I immediately picked up on the huge and incorrect overuse of the word "like" multiple times in a sentence on more than one occasion. And she certainly used words such as "fink", "fort" etc rather than the correct "think" and "thought". Is just lazy and sloppy IMHO. Thankfully I didn't hear any "whateva", or "init" or "mush" from the girl ^

Well you have like, well to-ally, to-ally misunderstood me my friend init. Regional accents are of course ok.....I would have zero problem with the young Jodie's sarf-ov-the-river type accent - provided she didn't use the word "like" every 3-4 words and "fink" and "fort" etc.

So are you like, awight wivvat bruv?
No I'm not "alright" with that. You still come off as a pretentious snob to me (not that I'm saying you are as a person - just this particular aspect of your personality!). And I just went back to the programme on iPlayer to listen to a few of the scenes where she speaks to the camera and I can confirm that you're grossly exaggerating it. The first scene she didn't say "like" once. The next scene I found (the make-up scene) she said it out of context three times (out of over a hundred words, not "every 3-4 words") and it was only slightly out of context - it wasn't just randomly placed for no apparent reason.

It's not "lazy and sloppy", it's how some people speak. Language continually evolves and I wouldn't be surprised if the English you use would be looked down upon in the same manner by the upper classes a few centuries ago. The exact same way regional accents developed, which for some reason are ok with you (why are people from the regions exempt from your requirement to "speak proper English"?).
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:36 pm
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
I would imagine that I have a regional accent, certainly my daughters do, in fact they have an Essex accent, although they weren't born in Essex, it's pretty much where they've all grown up. That said, they don't use all those awful 'Esex-isms' so prevalent now but they do occasionally drop their 'aitches'.

I do admire people like Jodi who is trying to make a career for herself. I spent eight or nine years working with young people with so little ambition and aspiration that they didn't want to apply for jobs 4 or 5 miles away, they preferred to claim what benefits they could. It drove me demented that they had no work ethic, which is often a learned behaviour. Good for her in my view, albeit she may have found out that it wasn't going to be the fun job she thought it might be.

I will add as well that I don't believe social class should come into it at all. Many a high flyer - no pun intended - came from an under privileged background and a life of relative poverty but had the balls to rise out of it through a good work ethic & determination.

Last edited by LadyB; Jun 5, 2014 at 12:38 pm Reason: Spelling error
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:23 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by callum9999
No I'm not "alright" with that. You still come off as a pretentious snob to me (not that I'm saying you are as a person - just this particular aspect of your personality!) .
Not at all. I have already said I have no problem with the accent of the girl (or any accent for that matter). But I do think it lazy and sloppy for anyone (regardless of background or accent) to drop into this awful chavvy yoof speak that is so prevalent nowadays.

So to be clear, if it was someone with a frightfully posh accent who also used the word "like" inappropriately, used an "f" rather than a "th" etc, I would think the same. Nothing to do with class, snobbery or anything pretentious....regardless of background it just grates I'm afraid.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
A preview clip of the second episode is now online, featuring a tour of the JFK CCR:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p020830r

As is a preview of the third and final episode:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/pro...ritish-airline

Originally Posted by BBC
In this final episode, were in the main control room with operations manager Kevin Mackenzie.

Kevin reveals how the airline manages the challenges of operating out of the worlds most congested airport, Heathrow, and handles the knock-on effects of passengers actions - from panic attacks before take-off, to suspicious items discovered in luggage.

Finally, at BAs flight centre we follow the airlines first intake of cadet pilots since the downturn in air travel after 9/11. Joel Garabedian and Andy McLellan are reaching the final stages of their 18-month course training them to fly passenger planes. As the 18-month course costs the cadets 84,000, times are tense and failure would be expensive.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
They do manage it because I didn't hear anything quite so grating from the other recruits on the course. Only one recruit stood out negatively......as soon as the sentence with the multiple "like" word was uttered.
Hmmm, I wonder if her accent was all that 'stood out' for you

Just a thought
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:36 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by dc2447

Just a thought
If I remotely knew what you might be suggesting I'd try and answer
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by dc2447

Just a thought
I think that's unfair.

Nothing BOH, or, indeed, anyone in this thread has said thus far strays into that territory.

I don't think that's on.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:48 pm

Using the word 'like' in every sentence has come from certain members of our American cousins. It is no reflection on education or class. You can go to the pubs of SW London and hear ex public school boys/girls doing exactly the same, and many will have high powered jobs in banking/advertising etc.

If it upsets you, I suggest you lobby the US reality shows that made this lazy speech mainstream.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I put the over use of 'like' down to nervousness. Obviously BA think she will make a good member of crew otherwise they would have dropped her at the interview stage and not decided to put her through an expensive training course.

As well as the pressure of doing an intensive course she had the added pressure of being filmed for posterity (and I'm guessing little or no chance to refuse).

Once she knows her stuff and can relax into the job I'm sure she'll turn into a proper Eliza Doolittle.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by aks120
In fact what I really hate is the ones that think they should be sat next to me in First and that serving me my dinner is really beneath them - we have all met the type!
I have the impression some people join to work to live.

Originally Posted by aks120
In fact it was the chef in the programme that I disliked the most! He came across as arrogant and self opinionated - I would love to have seen his face when the feedback about the food started to come in from the First pax! It may be worth him reading the reviews on the food and being a little less worried about sauces and a bit more worried about taste!
Lol he will blame it on the ovens
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by GodAtum

Lol he will blame it on the ovens
I have no doubt he will!

aks120

Last edited by aks120; Jun 5, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.