Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
I had great luck with the GS line this morning. I have family traveling on an award ticket from my miles. They were originally scheduled to fly tomorrow out of Eurpoe, but obviously that isn't going to happen. I called GS and they were able to fix everything in one call. They confirmed them on later flights using both Lufthansa and United metal. One agent took care of everything without me having to ask for anything special. I was expecting a long call with lots of bad news, but was pleasantly surprised that it went so well.

^ UA!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
If this kept up, would UA have to start turning the widebodies on domestic runs just to get the pilots their required take-offs and landings?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by kathleen104
I have two -1st class tickets booked at the saver award milage level to France for May, If this flight is disrupted by the volcanic eruption, will united automatically re-book at the saver award level or will I be subject to saver level availability issues ?
Ditto on this question...I'm in the same boat (err...plane) as you. Also, is there any chance that UA would "bump" saver award travelers to accommodate the vast wave of paying flyers that will be taxing the system for weeks? I suspect not, but when I'm this close to my vacation I tend to get a bit paranoid.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by LessO2
They say the ash is moving south and east....that would affect Madrid and Rome quickly.
I would say Rome, Barcelona, & Madrid would definitely be affected quickly -- if you look at this map
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...tml?ref=europe
Originally Posted by SFOisHome
continued to buy full fare B or F tickets with the idea that the tickets we don't use will just be refunded.
That is a clever idea ^
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Not to make light of anyone's problems, but when you are this rich, you don;t have to worry about stranded planes. (In German only, but the video speaks for itself!

I have emailed with a few friends .... and they with their friends. Alternative routing from Rome and Madrid thru Africa (both Egypt and Jo-berg) and/or South America or Carib is becoming an expensive but realitistic option for many folks who can afford it or who must get home.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:06 pm

If you manage to get to MADRID, does anyone know just how time consuming it would be to get back to London?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
If you manage to get to MADRID, does anyone know just how time consuming it would be to get back to London?
Overnight train to Paris, then Eurostar if tickets are available...
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by climmy
If this kept up, would UA have to start turning the widebodies on domestic runs just to get the pilots their required take-offs and landings?
This is only speculation, but it seems like it would mainly be a problem for 744 flight crew, as 777 and 763 both have domestic versions with scheduled flights that crew could be cycled through.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:27 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
Shortest train ride I could find was nearly 17 hours via TGV and Eurostar on the Deutsche Bahn website www.bahn.de

The question, though, is whether seats are available. Getting a seat on Eurostar might be a tough proposition right now.

Renting a car seems to be out of the question; dummy bookings for a one-way from Madrid to London were rejected by Hertz and Sixt.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Well we do have the scheduled 747 SFO>ORD and back...

My uncle is now going to try and go through Madrid.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by us2
Shortest train ride I could find was nearly 17 hours via TGV and Eurostar on the Deutsche Bahn website www.bahn.de

The question, though, is whether seats are available. Getting a seat on Eurostar might be a tough proposition right now.

Renting a car seems to be out of the question; dummy bookings for a one-way from Madrid to London were rejected by Hertz and Sixt.
For the really desperate, another alternative would be train-->Portsmouth-->Brittany Ferries to Santander (24 hours)-->Train to Madrid (4.5 hours).

Sailings are not daily though. Next is Tuesday.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by UAL4life
My uncle is now going to try and go through Madrid.
On what DAY? There is the risk of the cloud moving south
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:37 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by climmy
If this keeps up that long, pilot currency will be the least of UA's concerns. Of all the US carriers, this may hurt UA the most, due to the revenue sharing agreement with LH, for whom transatlantic traffic is a large share of revenue.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:53 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Thanks US2. So for Star Alliance escapes out of (or into Europe)

it looks like LIS to EWR is available on both CO and TAP

BCN to EWR is available on CO

FCO to PHL on US, FCO to IAD on UA, FCO to EWR on CO

MAD to EWR on CO and MAD to IAD on UA.

(Maybe a few others i missed)

I see seats on many of these routes available on Sunday... so you just have to be willing to take the train wherever you want to go from there. France, Germany and Switzerland are probably best reached by Barcelona--its right over the border from France

Last edited by NeoOfTheCRS; Apr 17, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.