Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Once the airspace is opened up again, how are the airlines, specifically UA, going to handle the backlog of passengers? It's not like they have a bunch of widebodies sitting around that they could use for extra flights to "catch up".

My parents are scheduled to fly from FRA to ORD in XF next week Sunday (4/25). Presumably UA can't/won't just go ahead and cancel "free" award tickets in order to accommodate stranded revenue ticket holders from earlier flights?
Keep in mind a lot of traffic is leisure, and people who will reschedule for another time of year or to another destination. Even business travel is influenced by the calendar, and a meeting missed today isn't necessarily required again tomorrow. I think the weeks-ahead calendar will absorb a lot of the traffic so it won't be quite as bad as feared.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyinbob
Even business travel is influenced by the calendar, and a meeting missed today isn't necessarily required again tomorrow.
Correct. I just put TATL business travel scheduled for end of the month on hold, waiting until things clear up.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Keep in mind a lot of traffic is leisure, and people who will reschedule for another time of year or to another destination. Even business travel is influenced by the calendar, and a meeting missed today isn't necessarily required again tomorrow. I think the weeks-ahead calendar will absorb a lot of the traffic so it won't be quite as bad as feared.
True, but a portion of those leisure/business travelers are also stuck with their *return* flight, i.e. They are in need to get back home. A coworker of mine was scheduled to fly back to Europe today, from SFO. Not going to happen. Those people aren't going to want to hang out at their current location any longer than necessary.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K GS 1MM, AA GOLD 1MM, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Silver, National EC Executive
I'm stuck in FRA trying to get home to SFO. Was rebooked to Saturday - but the flight is now cancelled. Am rebooked on Sunday in a connection through IAD in Economy. The next business/first seat availability is Tuesday.

should United refund a fare difference if I end up flying economy on paid C?

ugh!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by nirajashah

ugh!
I have just been told yes by the GS desk. I was offered a rebooking on Sunday in Y or Monday in C. I could either waitlist for C on Sunday, or get the refund if I took Y - not sure how much it'll be though!

Had to wait 7 mins for the GS line to be answered, after getting a busy signal several times - never had that before!

I was disappointed there was no proactive rebooking by United, but suppse there is little that can be done.

Seems to be some talk of operating some TATL flights from DUB/GLA but think I stand a better chance of getting on a plane from London. Media here making it sound as though this cloud could be around for weeks if not months!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by hh1
Media here making it sound as though this cloud could be around for weeks if not months!
Although they may turn out to be correct they are drama queens about it all.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hh1
Media here making it sound as though this cloud could be around for weeks if not months!
The lost revenue to the airlines from weeks of cancelled transatlantic travel would virtually guarantee double EQM
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Although they may turn out to be correct they are drama queens about it all.
Actually what is needed is a wind shift. If they could get the cloud to drift further north for a few days it could help clear some of the jam.

Or a giant cork in the volcano...
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Originally Posted by nirajashah
I'm stuck in FRA trying to get home to SFO. Was rebooked to Saturday - but the flight is now cancelled. Am rebooked on Sunday in a connection through IAD in Economy. The next business/first seat availability is Tuesday.

ugh!
That's CRAP. A GS on paid C and they can't protect you a seat? I mean, really, you should have absolutely #1 priority for any biz or first seat, period. Even at the expense of downgrading a previous SWU or mileage upgrader.

This isn't a DYKWIA type of thing either. What's worse is that even if you get refunded the difference, it will be from C to full Y. Likely, if you chose to fly economy at the outset you wouldn't have bought full Y so you get screwed. It's happened to me before.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It shouldn't be too complicated - Schengen has nothing to do with it, it's all EU. CDG could even be used as a divert airport for LHR in some circs. However, there are a number of complications, even going beyond practicalities such as inadequate staffing at CDG or BRU. First off, as I understand it, it's possible that LHR will be shut down this afternoon. Eurostar will continue running from Paris and Brussels, but it has limited capacity for all the flights terminating. Second, how are UA pax flying out of London going to get to CDG or BRU in reasonable time for the plane's return flight? Third, LHR is a major transfer airport for UA pax on to other *A flights. *A is weak in both CDG and BRU. In that sense, it would be more sensible simply to increase flights to ZRH, GVA, FRA or MUC (or maybe CPH if it's outside the smoke zone).

UA has cancelled its last three incoming flights to LHR today. Its afternoon arriving flights to FRA are running very late, with significantly extended flight times. The SFO/FRA flight (at least when I have been on it) flies pretty well over LHR, so I'm guessing that route diversions will cover pretty well all of UA's TATL flights and introduce delays.
I'm not sure I'd call BRU "weak" anymore, considering it's the home airport of a *A member (SN).
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:39 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by climmy
That's CRAP. A GS on paid C and they can't protect you a seat? I mean, really, you should have absolutely #1 priority for any biz or first seat, period. Even at the expense of downgrading a previous SWU or mileage upgrader.
Wait, you are suggesting UA should remove a person with a booked, confirmed seat on a future flight to accommodate someone whose flight was canceled!?

UA already has one inconvenienced and upset customer. Why would they want to create another!?

And if you downgrade a customer on a future flight, are you going to remove the Y passenger whose place the ug passenger took?

So now you have THREE inconvenienced and upset customers?

That makes very little sense, and I can't imagine that there is any way in the world that UA would do it.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
That's CRAP. A GS on paid C and they can't protect you a seat? I mean, really, you should have absolutely #1 priority for any biz or first seat, period.
My original ticket was paid C. Rang GS several times, 1st 2 people I spoke to did not want to rebook me until me original flight was actually cancelled, even less protect me. Only offered a Sunday flight when I forced it - ie asked why I could see seats still being sold on bomb!

Times like this is when GS is supposed to make it worthwhile - 3 of the 4 people I spoke with didn't even seem to be trying to help.

Even at the expense of downgrading a previous SWU or mileage upgrader.
Now if that happened we would have loads more rants against GS pax!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Well I had to revamp my vacation but got a pretty good result out of it.

Original plan was DEN-ORD-CDG today in upgraded C
Return on Sunday, 4/25 BCN-MUC-ORD-DEN in upgraded C

Decided to completely cancel that trip and get the full refund.

Then found a rountrip flight on US to BCN Tuesday 4/20 to Tuesday 4/27 for $800 in Y. No upgrade but I think I came out ok. Still get to be in BCN on the days that were planned plus a couple extra to make up for missing Paris.

As an aside, if anyone's looking to get over to Europe, US to BCN seems like a cheap option!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Actually what is needed is a wind shift. If they could get the cloud to drift further north for a few days it could help clear some of the jam.

Or a giant cork in the volcano...
From today's MSNBC:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36589294...d_news-europe/

"More floods from melting waters are expected as long as the volcano keeps erupting — and in 1821, the same volcano managed to erupt for more than a year."
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Wait, you are suggesting UA should remove a person with a booked, confirmed seat on a future flight to accommodate someone whose flight was canceled!?

UA already has one inconvenienced and upset customer. Why would they want to create another!?

And if you downgrade a customer on a future flight, are you going to remove the Y passenger whose place the ug passenger took?

So now you have THREE inconvenienced and upset customers?

That makes very little sense, and I can't imagine that there is any way in the world that UA would do it.
No, I'm not suggesting that. I was unclear.

It's apparent that the flights are filling with re-accoms. I find it hard to believe every [LATER] possible flight routing is filled to capacity with paid customers (including SWU's, miles, etc).

What I'm suggesting is that a GS on paid fare should get the seat, even at the expense of downgrading a RE-ACCOMODATED upgrader. In other words, and upgrader taking a flight a couple of days later should be downgraded to accomodate a GS paid fare.

Anyone taking their ORIGINALLY scheduled flight in a premium cabin, regardless of how they got there should remain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.