Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 1K GS 1MM, AA GOLD 1MM, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Silver, National EC Executive
Just got off the phone with GS support. UA 901 FRA to SFO is canceled for Monday (because UA 900 SFO to FRA is canceled for Sunday - presumably incoming aircraft)

I asked her if she could put me on a LH flight... could not find anything until Friday/Saturday. I guess LH is trying to protect their own pax.

There's also nothing available out of FCO or MAD for the next few days as far as I can tell, not to mention the effort it takes to get there so I guess I'm stuck in FRA unless someone has better ideas
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:56 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Forecast map for Tuesday, 20 April:

Looks like a possible break late in the day for LHR, CDG is possible.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Looks like the wind is shifting a little in the correct direction for the UK at least unless I am misreading it.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi, I'm new to UA having recently had a status match from BA Gold to UA 1P. In Orlando at the moment with a party of 7 hoping to get back to LHR tomorrow via IAD (booked via travel agent). Flights still show as confirmed on the UA website but I think they are highly unlikely to fly.

Any ideas / advice on what to do in this situation? What what I've read 1P doesn't count for that much......
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:13 am

UA966 IAD-FCO Sunday April 18

Canceled due to concerns the ash cloud is heading south. This cancels the return, 967, on Monday April 19.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by rogerj
Hi, I'm new to UA having recently had a status match from BA Gold to UA 1P. In Orlando at the moment with a party of 7 hoping to get back to LHR tomorrow via IAD (booked via travel agent). Flights still show as confirmed on the UA website but I think they are highly unlikely to fly.

Any ideas / advice on what to do in this situation? What what I've read 1P doesn't count for that much......
From my experience with United cancellations this week, sometimes I get an email saying cancelled, today I didn't and had to check the website to find that out, rebooked and the first available flight was 23rd (LHR-SFO). The problem is that the plane I need is in SFO and cannot get to LHR, and I think I read that there is 1 United plane on the ground at LHR - so your plane might be at IAD but you are at the mercy of UK airspace and it does not look too rosy for tomorrow. If it were me I would be making enquiries as to what flights are open later in the week and take it from there, I have no idea how they will approach dealing with the backlog but by ringing now I would assume you will have a better chance of getting away earlier rather than later. Good luck.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Total time on the phone was 4 minutes - I may have to go to one of the BA threads where they seem to have to wait 3+ hours in some cases to gloat. I know I shouldn't but ..............................
+1

Originally Posted by rogerj

As a 1P, you don't count as much as a GS or a 1K, but you count more than a 2P or a GM. So UA will take care of you, but after they do the GS and 1K.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 18, 2010 at 9:40 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
Stuck in FRA at present with 917 cancelled tomorrow but the 1P line wait was 64 mins (!!) so I guess I'll try later. Anyone had any luck rebooking from FRA?

Thanks
KiwiPanda
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:19 am

and I think I read that there is 1 United plane on the ground at LHR - ...[/QUOTE]

The only UA plane in Europe is N780UA in CDG.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:43 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
The southern route along Spain and then thru the Azores is very crowded. Our flight DXB to IAD was held Friday at the Gate for 3 hours to get a slot -- add and extra 1.5 hours of travel and UA had to off load cargo too.

But at least we are home...^
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by skywalkerbeth
Thanks WorldTrav, I'd expect so - would this event (act of God) be reason for the airline to get out of it, though?
Apparently most airlines consider this act of god, but some refunds while others don't.....
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by servus
Well, it seems like the volcano isn't blowing out much ash at the moment. Less ash = better chances for departing flights within 48h. Don't you think so?
Not necessarily. DH says it's more dependent on weather pattern and blowing it away than on current volcanic activity.
Originally Posted by skywalkerbeth
Does anyone have any idea if your flight ends up cancelled if you can just request a refund instead of rebooking? Or are you pretty much stuck with endless waiting for the next flight out (or cancel the tix yourself and suck up the change fee).
This is clearly explained on the website -- http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,53414,00.html
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Flew out of IAD yesterday around 1700- saw a lineup of about seven aircraft- UA, SAS, Air France, Austrian, LH, and a few others- presumably waiting to get out at the first slot available. Kind of an interesting thing to see....
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: United 1K; WN A List
Time lapse...

http://i.imgur.com/flMMU.gif
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
According to USA Today and several other newspapers, KLM, Lufthansa, Air France, and Air Austria successfully tested flying at 31,000 feet or below 10,000 feet using empty planes (mostly for repositioning purposes):
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...ns-worse_N.htm

KLM is now petitioning the European aviation authorities for resumption of flights. Keeping fingers firmly crossed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.