Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
CO has added 2 extra widebodies and upgraded the 1 daily 752 into and out of MAD, all 764's. LIS got 1 extra widebody along with an upgrade of the daily to a 762. May be the way to go if you are on the continent. BCN cancelled.

Last edited by zoegksf; Apr 17, 2010 at 8:30 pm Reason: bcn info
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mr.Nuke
Unless something drastic changes with the ash situation, it should be fine. Flights from the US east coast to the Middle East will just be taking a more Southerly route than normal.
Can they carry enough fuel for such a diversion?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Can they carry enough fuel for such a diversion?
A 777 will make it fine on fuel, plus on the way over their will likely be a nice tailwind.

Last edited by Mr.Nuke; Apr 17, 2010 at 8:40 pm
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Mr.Nuke
Unless something drastic changes with the ash situation, it should be fine. Flights from the US east coast to the Middle East will just be taking a more Southerly route than normal.
But anyone traveling ANYWHERE in the world should reconfirm they have a hotel on arrival. All flights into Europe are grounded, so hotels everywhere are booked and will likely stay that way. I heard Singapore was almost out of hotel rooms. Until planes start going, it will be tough everywhere.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:10 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
By the way, thank God for United's flight from IAD to KWI...rebooked a GS going through FRA to AUH on Thursday through KWI...though he mentioned he wasn't sure how he would get back...

The next month or more could be very, very interesting.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by Downdog
I said "I hope sky clears up over LHR before my trip, even though I doubt it." She said "you will be fine! I promise!."
Well, that's a relief!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM
Calming the Waters

A few things to keep in mind during what is a trying time for many: although filled with ash, the sky is not falling.

In response to a few posts above:

1) There are rooms going begging tonight in both Singapore and London and elsewhere. Just did a check and you have dozens of choices at every price point - so there is room at the inn. Remember, people may be stranded and needing rooms, but all the people who had reservations are stuck elsewhere. Same goes for NYC - when you see all these reports of people camped out in airports, it is because they either have exhausted their holiday funds (which is quite tough) or they are cheap.

2) Someone raised the issue of food shortages. As a longtime London resident, other than out-of-season apricots from Kenya and the like, food supplies are not AND WILL NOT be an issue. Please. Little in the Sainsbury's comes by air.

A couple of practical tips:

1) If you need to cross the channel in either direction, consider the major ferry ports like Dover and Calais. The gigantic car ferries have a capacity for huge numbers of foot passengers, plus there are regular trains with good capacity (you may need to stand) to and from the ports. Don't try reserving, just turn up for trains and ferries. Eurostar will be over-subscribed, so travel the way people did for decades, by ferry.

2) Trying for Madrid? Ignore the silly overnight train from the Gare d'Austerlitz in Paris. Fast TGVs from the Gare Montparnesse regularly go to Irun on the Spanish border where you transfer to a Spanish train to Madrid - this takes 12 hours and is shorter than that overnight train. I would simply go to the SNCF windows in Montparnesse and buy a ticket. Otherwise, you may well end up in the raileurope.com website, which the European railroads run for Americans. It is a joke: wrong info, ridiculous prices and simply no end of hurt.

3) The German Rail website does have a good schedule function for the continent at: https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?, but I would buy my tickets from a station.

4) If trying for Rome and the UA service still operating there, note that the highspeed train line recently went into full service from Milan, putting Rome well under four hours from Milan, which itself is well-linked to much of Europe (eg Paris seven hours by TGV etc).

Good luck!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:21 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by PWMRamper
By the way, thank God for United's flight from IAD to KWI...rebooked a GS going through FRA to AUH on Thursday through KWI...though he mentioned he wasn't sure how he would get back...

The next month or more could be very, very interesting.
IAD - DXB would have been a good option, no?

Last edited by SAN 1K; Apr 17, 2010 at 11:27 pm
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:35 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by flyinbob
I heard Singapore was almost out of hotel rooms. Until planes start going, it will be tough everywhere.
Just checked and the Sheraton Singapore Towers is available for 325 SGD which is the normal rate. Basic rooms area available too.

Funny thing you mention Singapore as my colleague is stuck in Singapore as she tries to get back to Europe!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:54 pm

I'm scheduled to fly IAD - LHR on Sunday evening, and I'm guessing it will be cancelled. Not having anywhere to stay in Washington, does anyone know if we are covered by the EU passengers bill of rights for a hotel room? Also, will UA be willing to rebook me on other airlines if space is available?

Thanks *
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by martian
Not having anywhere to stay in Washington, does anyone know if we are covered by the EU passengers bill of rights for a hotel room?
Flying UA, no.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by martian
....Also, will UA be willing to rebook me on other airlines if space is available?...
Who else is flying??
Old Apr 18, 2010, 1:22 am

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
i'm currently in Paris, having made it in on last inbound #914 from IAD on 15 April. Supposed to return 20 April, but we'll see....

My question: are the crews that worked the last inbounds still stuck here in places like London, Frankfurt, Paris, etc., along with the rest of us?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 1:45 am

Hi folks,

Check this out: http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajoku...thorolfsfelli/

If it stays like this, things might clear up soon
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by servus
Hi folks,

Check this out: http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajoku...thorolfsfelli/

If it stays like this, things might clear up soon
Why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.