Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by worldtrav
There are no UA planes leaving the US on Friday April 16 for LHR so there will be no plane to operate any flights out of LHR on Saturday April 17. Sorry.
But aren't there UA planes grounded at LHR that were unable to take off?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Boghopper
But aren't there UA planes grounded at LHR that were unable to take off?
See post 147

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13786089-post147.html
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:14 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by swixo
When I travel on Eurostar, the tickets are not transferable and require a passport (obviously).

I would rate this comment as unlikely.

s
No, they don't. You have a home-printed ticket and just scan it at the boarding gate. At passport control, the passport is checked but they don't care about your ticket. I think it is fairly common that Eurostar tickets are traded (although not allowed obviously).
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:17 am

Hi fellow FTers !

I'm based in FRA. As you all know FRA is temporarily closed as any other airport within Germany. No reliable info on how long the closure will last but at least until 04/18/2010 - 02:00 am. *TO BE EXTENDED FOR UP TO 72 MORE HOURS ! So this might be also the time frame for any UA flight to / from Germany.

For everybody planning going to / via German airspace, they just showed a forecast on German TV. This is the first time something link this happened, since Eurocontrol was founded, so they have no real data to make any reliable predication. Also I would like to recommend not only to think about how to get home asap, but also bearing in mind your safety. Have a look at this post, found by tomh009 http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...-volcanic.html

If you are in need of a "cheap" hotel in FRA, or any suggestion what to do meanwhile, or look for alternative travel suggestions feel free to PM me. I'll do my very best to help you out. The airport is already crowded with 1000s of people sleeping on cots. No fun place to spend several hours / days or days.

Last edited by servus; Apr 17, 2010 at 8:56 am Reason: *updating
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CleUnited
...and i think a few are getting some spruce ups to make sure everything is in working order for when the bans lift.
-CLE-
This is excellent news if it really does happen. Just what is needed to keep the 777 interiors serviceable until they are fully re-vamped. Perhaps something good might come out of this bad.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:55 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
If anyone is REALLY desperate to get in/out, there's MAD and LIS. CO has nonstops from EWR to both, UA has a NS to MAD. Seats are still available. From/to either there are train and bus options, but both will take a long time to get to France and to points north.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:04 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by Palal
If anyone is REALLY desperate to get in/out, there's MAD and LIS. CO has nonstops from EWR to both, UA has a NS to MAD. Seats are still available. From/to either there are train and bus options, but both will take a long time to get to France and to points north.
I did think of that, but given 24-36 hrs to get to these destinations from LHR, I am worried that the cloud will have moved there by then, at least LHR has most options when the cloud clears.

I do wish they wouldn't keep rolling the cancellations over 12 hours, it is hard to believe they don't have more visibility than that, but guess the airlines want to protect revenue. Makes it hard to plan.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
The fact that the thing is still coughing up its lungs is not making this looking like clearing anytime soon. I am fairly certain I will not be flying Monday. I am wondering whether to change flights now or wait until the cancellation that I feel is inevitable. Ho hum. Extremely bored with this now.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by hh1
I did think of that, but given 24-36 hrs to get to these destinations from LHR, I am worried that the cloud will have moved there by then, at least LHR has most options when the cloud clears.

I do wish they wouldn't keep rolling the cancellations over 12 hours, it is hard to believe they don't have more visibility than that, but guess the airlines want to protect revenue. Makes it hard to plan.
I thought the cloud was there already. Where's a good link to a satellite view of it?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
I thought the cloud was there already. Where's a good link to a satellite view of it?
This is ok from the BBC.

And this is a live cam of the Eytiuhrgtiuriurehgiurehgiurehgul volcano and it takes ages to load.

PS. I just could not resist just hitting any old keys on the keyboard for the name of the volcano. I think I got pretty close. :-)

Last edited by Silver Fox; Apr 17, 2010 at 5:28 am
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:32 am

Programs: United 1MM 1K, KLM/AF Plat, BA Gold, Marriott Plat
Barcelona Airport

Barcelona has a large brand new massive terminal. Based on what I see on the website it's fully operational. If United Operations truly have to get creative -- this may be an airport to look at because of it's brand new and available infrastructure. Although trains and planes would likely not be ideal.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Latest news is that the cloud is likely to be around for 4-5 days.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:43 am

Programs: MP
For those keeping up on LHR-ORD information, I was orginally on Saturday 4/17 929 (7:45am). That was cancelled and Monday same flight appeared. Now that is stil llisted but so is a new one on Tuesday so I have a sinking feeling that Monday aint gonna happen.

At least I have a hotel room
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:48 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by lowlyORDPremier
For those keeping up on LHR-ORD information, I was orginally on Saturday 4/17 929 (7:45am). That was cancelled and Monday same flight appeared. Now that is stil llisted but so is a new one on Tuesday so I have a sinking feeling that Monday aint gonna happen.

At least I have a hotel room
You got lucky! My original flight on Saturday was switched to Sunday, now see they have rebooked it for Wednesday - also re-booked in Y, although original ticket was C, and they are still selling C! Who says GS get the best treatment?

Just missed a call from them (no call after the Saturday cancellation) will call back, but not sure what good it'll do.

Last edited by 2358; Apr 17, 2010 at 6:15 am
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold
I just wanted to say that I appreciate everyone's (and particularly CLE's) updates, it's great to have a place to find some decent info. I'm rebooked for Monday's 5PM FRA-IAD, but realistically I guess the chance is 50:50 at the moment. The irony is that there's not a cloud in the sky here...

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.