Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Grrr...now the volcano is costing domestic folks, too. My Sunday night westbound transcon went from NF0 but F9 (wait-listed for ug for a couple weeks with CR1) to F0 overnight, presumably with rebooked connections from missed trans-As.

Yay, another transcon in coach after applying a CR1 several weeks in advance...this time on a 757.

UNLESS the ash hangs around through Sunday.

Sorry folks, at this point I'm rooting for the ash. [ducking]
You will need to duck quicker - have a virtual slap !
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1K line is messed up. Trying to call for my int'l cancellation. After the warning about higher call volume, it goes to a busy signal.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by LessO2
1K line is messed up. Trying to call for my int'l cancellation. After the warning about higher call volume, it goes to a busy signal.
I got through to the UK 1K line in about 1 minute and was done and dusted within about 3 minutes. I suspect that a lot of cancellations all went out at the same time so they all of a sudden got flooded. Good luck.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:34 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
You will need to duck quicker - have a virtual slap !
OUCH! You could have at least taken that clunky ring off first!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I got through to the UK 1K line in about 1 minute and was done and dusted within about 3 minutes. I suspect that a lot of cancellations all went out at the same time so they all of a sudden got flooded. Good luck.
After about seven tries, I'm in the queue on U.S. 1K line. Expected wait time is a reasonable 17 minutes.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Same thing

Second time is a charm-- wait time only 16 minutes (supposedly--). My IAD ORD MUC was cancelled so maybe I will get a direct flight on the re-schedule (what a wishful and optimistic thinker!).

My first RCC meet-up cancelled too! Bummer was looking forward to meeting my first FT'er w RCC!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by drklain
This is certainly a mess! I'm supposed to fly IAD-BRU on Sunday for some critical meetings at NATO HQ (with most folks coming in via train or driving from most parts of Europe). No words or even chicken bones on possibilities for Sunday flights (I know if it does go it will be full so my SWU upgrade chance is pretty much nil), but have no idea if it will actually go...

grrr
If your meeting is very important: Fly to Madrid and take a train to Brussels. That's your only safe bet.

Flights to MAD are pretty full, but there are still a few possibilities:

Air Europa flight JFK-MAD departing today at 9:30pm.
Iberia flight SJU-MAD departing tomorrow at 8:45pm.
Air Europa flight MIA-MAD departing tomorrow at 9:15pm.

The Madrid-Paris train then departs on Saturday or Sunday night at 7pm and you would be in Brussels around 11am on Saturday or Sunday morning.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Appreciate the suggestions. Unfortunately I'm limited in my options due to government fare and requirements as what carriers we fly on. Will be interesting to see what happens. Saw a volcano expert on TV who indicated even if the volcano stops spewing ash now, it would still be 2-4 days before things cleared up over the UK, so I'm not holding out much hope.

.bomb shows today's flight canceled and tomorrow's still good. My guess is United is only canceling flights when in the 24 hour window or so in the hopes they will get some flights out...

Geez!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Well-- rescheduled....

Monday evening flight to MUC instead of today! We'll see. Put me on LHmetal so no E+ and no time for a paper certificate for upgrade-- and instead of 5 evenings in Europe's beautiful Munich, I get two, one with tired eyes and the other packing to come home.

Prepaid hotel with Hilton is another story!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:55 am

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
From BAA site

Flight cancellation update

Last updated: 15:30 GMT, 16 April 2010

Flights are cancelled at all London airports, until at least 07:00 tomorrow morning, Saturday 17 April. This is due to volcanic ash spreading across the UK from Iceland which has caused the closure of English airspace by the UK air traffic control service (NATS). Passengers should contact their airline for re-ticketing information.

NATS has advised that from 19:00 today, Friday 16 April, some flights will be allowed to operate from Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen airports. However, these will only be transatlantic flights and those to Ireland and other Scottish airports. Please note these arrangements do not mean that all flights will operate and passengers should check with their airline before travelling to the airport.

NATS will make a further announcement around 20:30 this evening, Friday 16 April. We will continue to update this site with the latest information available.

We are sorry for the disruption and inconvenience this will cause.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
What about the backlog?

Once the airspace is opened up again, how are the airlines, specifically UA, going to handle the backlog of passengers? It's not like they have a bunch of widebodies sitting around that they could use for extra flights to "catch up".

My parents are scheduled to fly from FRA to ORD in XF next week Sunday (4/25). Presumably UA can't/won't just go ahead and cancel "free" award tickets in order to accommodate stranded revenue ticket holders from earlier flights?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Currently at Burbank making use of the free wi-fi after being cancelled yesterday and rebooked today, and then cancelled again today.

Our BUR-SFO-LHR is now rescheduled to Monday as LAX-IAD-MUC-LHR after an hour on the phone with a 1k supervisor.

Big to the UA staff at Burbank - they did nothing to help, and basically said go and wait for your rebooking call.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:19 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Things at BUR have really gone downhill since it became a UX-only station. I believe all of the UA employees were replaced with SkyWest ones. While I like the airline and their flight crews, I've not had as good of luck with the staff of that particular station. Good luck in getting home (but, at least enjoy the nice weather!).
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All Swiss airspace will be closing as well from midnight until 9h00 SA - for now.

http://www.nzz.ch/nachrichten/panora...1.5461833.html
(in German)

Looks like the only options left is Southern Europe. However there was a report that the Northern EU airspace such as Sweden, Norway might be clearing up on SA.

Originally Posted by ir68
didnt take my OGG-LHR flight tonight, got rebooked to 04/20
The are worse places to be stranded, I guess

Everything to Europe just canceled for tonight's flights....including Zurich.
Sofar IAD-FCO / UA 966 seems to be still operating, zeroed out in all booking classes. A 744 sure would have come in handy.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 16, 2010 at 1:22 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Once the airspace is opened up again, how are the airlines, specifically UA, going to handle the backlog of passengers?
I suspect that the disruption will take at least one or two weeks to clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.