Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Keep in mind that if she got standby on another airline she would be airborne now and not able to contact you. Just stay by the phone and you may get good news. ^
Old May 17, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Regarding changed engine thresholds I mentioned:

http://www.nats.co.uk/

I'm putting on my Aerospace engineering hat for this one... I'm irked at the assumption that the ash levels was dangerous for this latest one and the media and everyone went behind it.

From what I've heard through those in the industry; the engine mfr's and airlines were saying the data the Met office and CAA were using was BUNK over the last week and into the weekend. Even DLR (Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V)/German Aerospace center sent up their Falcon aircraft Sunday into UK airspace along with a Lufthansa A340 with additional test equipment. Both profiled data above the ash cloud and rumor in the industry from those who profiled the data was that the ash concentrations are NOT as intense as thought once the distance drift from Iceland is taken into account.

In other words we should see LESS airspace closures now that DLR sent REAL data that the CAA used to determine it really isn't an issue. Basically new standards went in place Sunday night/Monday AM.

Now anything within the actual ash plume spout from the Volcano is highly dangerous for aircraft engines - but this level of concentration is RARELY even more than 100NM from the event. Hence when Mt. St. Helens erupted large swaths of US airspace was NOT closed just restrictions placed in areas - even in the 2009 eruption at Mt. Redoubt in Alaska went forward it was controlled and Alaska Air had two days of severe disruptions but once it was determined how to properly determine ash levels flights resumed. CAA/Met office was clueless on this one until this weekend. It's been a month of pure BUNK data being used and it needed to stop.

Too right for Branson and BA to call out the Met office and CAA on this one. Poor assumptions on data were used and flights were cancelled for no reason.
Old May 17, 2010, 1:11 pm

Well, and I now figured out the reason United had some issues, and why I couldn't pull up her itinerary, was because she made her reservation through Continental. Her itinerary there hasn't changed. She should know to contact CO about rebooking, she's had this issue when CO and NWA were partners.

I'm just going to sit back and check again later tonight for updates on flights.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old May 17, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by wanna go now
Well, and I now figured out the reason United had some issues, and why I couldn't pull up her itinerary, was because she made her reservation through Continental. Her itinerary there hasn't changed. She should know to contact CO about rebooking, she's had this issue when CO and NWA were partners.

I'm just going to sit back and check again later tonight for updates on flights.

Thanks again for all your help.
When you view her itin at CO.com does it show you the United record locator? There is definitely a United record locator out there..and if you can get it you will be able to view the itin at United.com and see any changes that UA made to it. It's not always necessary to contact the ticketing carrier. If her remaining flights were all UA then I believe UA would just take care of her (although she would have had the option of contacting CO as well).
Old May 17, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
What about FRA?

Anybody know if German airspace is affected? I wonder how LH is doing out of FRA
Old May 17, 2010, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Anybody know if German airspace is affected? I wonder how LH is doing out of FRA
So far so good. All UA and LH flights seem to be operating normally <knock wood>.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.