Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K / *A Gold
Volcano in Iceland Disrupts Europe Travel
http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/t...tml?id=4708556
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moncton and Shannon ATC centers are going to be very lonely the next couple of days.

Had a flight to Frankfurt canceled today, rebooked tomorrow (but uncertain as to whether it will go).

Not good when the 1K person said "everything into Europe is canceled." They even canceled Moscow today.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:31 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by fastair
This is turning into a real pain in the ash!
<tweeeeeet> 2 minute penalty. o-pun the penalty box door

Originally Posted by Bralo20
It seems that UA cancelled flight to and from the following airports:

LHR
CDG
AMS
BRU
FRA
DME

more later...
actually....

today (april 15)
914 iad-cdg: cancelled
915 cdg-iad: in flight
942 ord-cdg: cancelled
943 cdg-ord: in flight
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Gold
Oh man, I'm supposed to fly tomorrow's ORD-CDG run...let's hope it clears up by then!

UA seems to be the most proactive so far in cancelling the CDG flights. CO, AC, and AA all still show on time. If the flights will end up cancelled anyway, kudos to UA for pulling the trigger early.

Question: Is it better/easier to do OLCI or not for a flight that may end up cancelled? It may not even matter but I haven't really experienced that before. Thanks!

Last edited by GoPUBoilers; Apr 15, 2010 at 10:02 am Reason: added question
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: UA: 1P, SPG: PLT
Flew into DEN last night and noticed they were boarding 948 DEN-LHR. Checked this morning and 948 was cancelled. At least they made the decision so folks that are local could head home and not get stuck in another city.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by us2
Bob, Keflavik (BIKF) is a key alternate for ETOPS.
Apparently, Iceland, the big troublemaker in all this, isn't affected. Keflavik is open and operating, as the volcano is downwind from them. How totally unfair!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:28 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Apparently, Iceland, the big troublemaker in all this, isn't affected. Keflavik is open and operating, as the volcano is downwind from them. How totally unfair!
It's a huge mess to be sure. The big question is how long this is going to drag on. This volcano has apparently once had a very lengthy eruption:

"The previous eruption of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano, whose ash cloud has shut down airspace over Britain, lasted for more than a year, according to an expert. The Eyjafjallajökull volcano erupted for the first time in 200 years on March 20, in a dramatic display that sent fountains of lava spewing into the air.

All flights to British airspace have been suspended after ash caused by the eruption forced air traffic controllers to restrict take-offs and landings.

Professor Bill McGuire, of the Aon Benfield Hazard Research Centre at University College London, said the previous eruption, in December 1821, lasted until January 1823.

He said air travel could be curtailed repeatedly if the current eruption lasted the same amount of time.

However, he added: "There is no way of knowing for certain how long this eruption will last based on previous events. The level of disruption would also depend on how much gas and ash is produced."

The above was lifted from a post over at PPrune.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by GoPUBoilers
Oh man, I'm supposed to fly tomorrow's ORD-CDG run...let's hope it clears up by then!
Airspace in N France (including Paris) is scheduled to close at 2100 GMT.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flights today (4/15) into

GVA
MUC
ZRH

are operating. But all 7 flights into FRA are cxld.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Is it best to OLCI for a flight I will be taking LHR-SFO on 17/4 if it lets me tomorrow at 1035am (T-24) ? Obviously assuming it has not been cancelled/rescheduled by then? Or is it best not to OLCI and just wait?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
I wonder if UA will upgauge any of the flights, especially to MUC, to a 747 to accomodate the stranded passengers that might have been making connections in FRA and other cities?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by UAL4life
Hmm, I wonder what UA's contingency plan is if this volcano decides to stay for a while. This has the very real potential to badly hurt UA as well as other airlines. (Correct me if Im wrong)
The airspace is closed completely - no flights of any sort - even air ambulance flights have been severely curtailed - in seven European countries and partially in five others. Yeah, I guess there might be some impact on UA
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UAL4life
I wonder what UA's contingency plan is if this volcano decides to stay for a while.
Merger with Carnival Cruise Lines?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Merger with Carnival Cruise Lines?
...or fly to LHR.... via NRT??
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by daron4000
I wonder if UA will upgauge any of the flights, especially to MUC, to a 747 to accomodate the stranded passengers that might have been making connections in FRA and other cities?
That would be nice, except UA doesn't have the planes. They'd have to pull them off their 86% load factor pacific routes. And I don't think they can get any out of VCV that quickly.

My only question is why don't they start flying the southerly route into Europe to avoid most of the ash. Could this be the (temporary) end of the northern circle route to Europe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.