Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:44 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
Originally Posted by BDLORD
What happened to 959 that I was on?
Currently as it stands, still shows operating as a 767, and still operating.
I wish you the best of luck in all due respect.
-CLE-
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by CleUnited
Currently as it stands, still shows operating as a 767, and still operating.
I wish you the best of luck in all due respect.
-CLE-
Thank you Cle you're kind. better to be safe than.....
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K GS 1MM, AA GOLD 1MM, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Silver, National EC Executive
Originally Posted by climmy
No, I'm not suggesting that. I was unclear.

It's apparent that the flights are filling with re-accoms. I find it hard to believe every [LATER] possible flight routing is filled to capacity with paid customers (including SWU's, miles, etc).

What I'm suggesting is that a GS on paid fare should get the seat, even at the expense of downgrading a RE-ACCOMODATED upgrader. In other words, and upgrader taking a flight a couple of days later should be downgraded to accomodate a GS paid fare.

Anyone taking their ORIGINALLY scheduled flight in a premium cabin, regardless of how they got there should remain.
my choices were F on Tuesday or Y on Sunday... I picked Sunday... I am waitlisted for C but we'll see what happens. My original fare was D not Z so I am thinking even full Y should result in a significant refund. Anyway, at this time I just want to go home - already lost the weekend

Good luck to everyone trying to get home also.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:20 pm

Here I sit in the UK and according to the BBC it looks like the ban may be lifted in the Morning. I hope so because I am on the LHR-ORD 7:45 AM flight.
Think Positive for me please
There are no UA planes leaving the US on Friday April 16 for LHR so there will be no plane to operate any flights out of LHR on Saturday April 17. Sorry.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:34 pm

Programs: GS UA+3MM
Originally Posted by couscous
Eurostar is not a solution at this point. The black market is in full speed at the Gare du Nord.. one of my collegues sold his ticket to London for 400 euros !
When I travel on Eurostar, the tickets are not transferable and require a passport (obviously).

I would rate this comment as unlikely.

s
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM
Originally Posted by 21H21J
Big to the UA staff at Burbank - they did nothing to help, and basically said go and wait for your rebooking call.
Agreed. I was on a BUR-DEN-PHL flight a few weeks ago. The BUR-DEN flight was delayed an hour, meaning we'd miss our connection, and the UA staff there waited until we tried to check in, and then said "what do you want to do?"

There were other flights they could have rebooked us on, but by that time they were all full. I had to remind them that LAX was nearby. They were totally useless at coming up with ideas on their own.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CleUnited
I believe Corporate and SOC are planning on upgauging some of the flights and maybe adding extra sections to clear the backlog up once we are able to land a plane. with as much backlog as there is now we won't know for sure until we can get at least one piece of equipment in there safely. As soon as we do, I would say plan on seeing some of the bigger boys flying and maybe a few extras. But again that's all up to mother nature and the think tanks up top.

I'm just a lowly cs.
-CLE-
They should put a couple of domestic 777s on the Europe to east coast run. Shorter than ORD-HNL, so those planes should be able to handle it, and increase capacity a bit.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by hh1
Waiver now covers 14-22nd April.
That's what I read, too.

I am scheduled to fly out tomorrow to FRA, connecting to HAM. But now, the purpose of my trip has passed .... I was staying longer, just on holiday. And it only gives me a few days in HAM Before I have to fly home again.

But when I called (was connected to the GS Desk) and asked for a refund, she said that refunds only are offered on cancelled flights.

I figured GS agents know what they are talking about .... but .... is that correct? Refund not issued on a flight tomorrow, unless it is canceled, despite the travel waiver April 14-22?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
So the IATA is saying that carriers will be losing more than $200 million a day. (there goes my UAUA.)

How hard would it be for UA to fly as close as they can to their destinations be it even north Spain to get the flow starting again and arrange ground transport links between temp destinations and affected airports?

-Would Passengers even be willing to embark on a road trip to get to these temp airports?

Would that even put a dent in the loss of revenue?

You would think keeping the flow going as much as possible would be the best course of action. (Maybe this post doesn't belong here)

Last edited by UAL4life; Apr 16, 2010 at 6:12 pm Reason: It says edit, therefore I edit!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UAL4life
How hard would it be for UA to fly as close as they can to their destinations be it even north Spain to get the flow starting again and arrange ground transport links between temp destinations and affected airports? Would that even put a dent in the loss of revenue?
It would be incredibly hard. The 'alternate' airport would have to have the facilities and capacity to accommodate X of aircraft, etc. There's a ton of issues. Maybe even regulatory ones.

When you mentioned UA arranging ground transportation, it reminded me of this story discussed in this thread. (Yes I know UA has successfully arranged ground transportation in other situations)
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:48 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
It would be incredibly hard. The 'alternate' airport would have to have the facilities and capacity to accommodate X of aircraft, etc. There's a ton of issues. Maybe even regulatory ones.
That would be a correct assumption. Besides filing flight plans, extra segment paperwork, making sure we have the right amount of staffing, making sure we have the equipment available, having a ground transportation agreement with whichever company is out there. There's a lot of key plays that have to be accomplished in such a short order of time. And the best part is, is trying to get everyone to play ball, including Mother Nature.

Most of the aircraft that we would run are running some other international runs, domestic missions, and i think a few are getting some spruce ups to make sure everything is in working order for when the bans lift.

As soon as that happens, I believe UA is gonna go gung-ho for picking up where we left off and maybe a little more. The situation is tense, and corporate is trying to keep all employees up to date with our plans. But unfortunately, we're still playing the wait and see game.

I hope soon we can get back to normal and get you to your destinations safe and sound.
-CLE-
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)

So like I asked please think positive!!!!!!
I hope to be on 929 on Sunday Morning!!
Ok, Ok, we will think positive (positively?) for you and all others!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:00 pm

Programs: Velocity Platinum, UA MM
I guess a side effect of all these cancellations is that when things get going again and UA start to jam affected passengers onto flights, anyone waitlisted for an award flight or upgrade is likely to be very disappointed
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
I'm pretty sure there is no way to get to alternative airports. Mr SFOisHOME has been trying to get out of LHR since Thursday to no avail. Eurostar is booked as are the ferries. He's confirmed on a Sunday LHR-DEN and a Monday LHR-DEN hopefully one of those happen.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SFOisHome
I'm pretty sure there is no way to get to alternative airports. Mr SFOisHOME has been trying to get out of LHR since Thursday to no avail. Eurostar is booked as are the ferries. He's confirmed on a Sunday LHR-DEN and a Monday LHR-DEN hopefully one of those happen.
Keep in mind that it appears there are no UA aircraft on the ground in LHR, so there will be no flights out until there are flights in. If all the flights to LHR on Saturday are canceled, there won't be any Sunday LHR departures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.