Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:25 pm

922 Apr 18

Looks like the daytime IAD-LHR flight tomorrow (April 18) morning is now canceled.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
Well, it could be our fault too. Mr SFOisHome does have tickets for Mon, Tues, and Wed out of LHR and we were trying to get him one on Tues out of Madrid. I'm sure whatever CS person answered was thoroughly confused about all the tickets. I'm sure they haven't had the easiest go with this either, so I'm not holding it against them.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAL4life
The DXB and KWI flights have been flying directly east and below the ash cloud -following the north African coast etc. Probabaly more weight restricted than usual too due to the longer flight time.
And I've heard that route is a big cargo haul for UA.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:31 pm

Any of you ever sign up for news bulletins and other info by email when you create a user ID on a site? When I booked a flight to New York, I signed up with NWA and Orbitz for this sort of stuff. I might be dead wrong, but I have a feeling those email lists are being vigorously used right now. A lot of people appear to be really paranoid about handing out an email address to a business they use. I'm pretty enthusiastic about doing it. If it ever starts to bug me, I just put the business's domain in my blocked list and the mail stops.

But really, business has a gold mine for communication in the customers who sign up.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:38 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I think I've refunded more tickets in the past 3 days than I have in the past year.

With school vacations next week, a ton of people had booked flights to CDG/LHR/FRA/etcetc...

I had a group of 28 students on a school trip...and they can't get to Europe until after their school vacation ends.

The problem is, even if we rebook a flight for a week from now, it could very well cancel. People have been very, very good...they realize this is a huge event that we have zero control over, and that if we didn't cancel, we'd be flying in very dangerous conditions.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PWMRamper
People have been very, very good...they realize this is a huge event that we have zero control over, and that if we didn't cancel, we'd be flying in very dangerous conditions.
I've had to re-book a trip to CDG three times so far. Twice I got to a small conversation level with a couple of 1K agents, asking them how others are handling it.

Both said that most people are understanding, with the occasional grouch chiming in.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:50 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
Originally Posted by PWMRamper
I think I've refunded more tickets in the past 3 days than I have in the past year.
Same here. Seems like out of CLE we have about 7-10% TATL. Especially on the afternoon flights. And even more on our 1430 flight to IAD. And this being the weekend and end of schools breaks even more so...

Makes me think how lucky a group of 49 schoolchildren with chaperones ( they had to be about 15-18 yo) got back to FRA the day before. (13Apr departure from CLE. 14apr arrival FRA). That would have been a big pain to rebook.
Edit: Although it was funny that they were the only passenger on the 50 seat ER4.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: former {UA 1k // SPG Gold, HHonors Silver}, now starting up again
advice - going to LIS via LHR

Hi all,

I currently have the following itin midweek:
SFO-LHR Y->NC confirmed (SWU)
four hour layover in LHR, then on a separate ticket, LHR-LIS (TAP)

As you can see, I want to get to LIS, which is currently open. What would my best bet be when I talk to 1k line, if LHR is still shut down in a couple of days? Do they have the power to put me on Continental via EWR? Could they do that in C?

Not very familiar with what is possible in case of IRROPS, so I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

(and here I was looking forward to possibly getting NC on the new 777! )
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by bmir
Do they have the power to put me on Continental via EWR? Could they do that in C?
If seats available, they might be able to put you on CO, but not in C.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:42 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Hi all,

As you can see, I want to get to LIS, which is currently open. What would my best bet be when I talk to 1k line, if LHR is still shut down in a couple of days? Do they have the power to put me on Continental via EWR? Could they do that in C?

Not very familiar with what is possible in case of IRROPS, so I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

If they don't let you book to LIS, consider MAD on AerLingus metal/UA flight number and then taking the train or bus here. I don't think the trains MAD>LIS are full, but they are full the other way.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum/2MM
I just called GS line. The hold time was longer than usual but only a few minutes. I had to book a flight to LHR on 4/26, although I doubt this job really happens considering the situation. On the map, the ash doesn't seem to be moving away (but I haven't heard about the official word of cancel, so I need to have a ticket in a meantime. I booked fully refundable one, of course. ) I heard a lot of other GS reps' voices which was unusual. I said "are you busy dealing with all the re-bookings?" She said "yes!!" I said "I hope sky clears up over LHR before my trip, even though I doubt it." She said "you will be fine! I promise!."
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Hi all,

Thanks!

I think a bigger question is do you HAVE to go? Anyone with a trip in the next 2 weeks should really be asking themselves that. Besides the flights, consider the shortage of hotels, rental cars, possibly food if cargo remains interrupted, etc. Unless it was life or death, I'd not even look at traveling until May.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Should I be nervous about IAD-DXB route early this week?

Anyone care to speculate on probability that IAD-DXB route gets impacted by the ash situation?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA1K 1MM
All appendages crossed

The First Mate and I are ticketed IAD-FCO via UA 966 with a 4/24 departure from IAD. So far UA 966 has continued to operate. On 4/24 there are seats available for sale IAd - FCO in all classes although E seats are almost gone. Y/B/M are all = 4 while C is C/D/Z = 9. There are even NF = 2 but no free award seats of any flavor.

So far 966 has operated essentially on schedule the last few days. Everything I've looked at still shows the ash to be staying just north of Rome.

In an effort to find some useful info for those of you stuck in Europe I did some checking on seat availability on UA 967, FCO - IAD. I tried to do dummy, standard award seat bookings.

On 4/24 and 4/23 UA 967 has a few seats available in all classes. When I tried any date closer to today than 4/23 .bomb gave the "We are unable to retrieve fare information at this time. Please try again later. "message in red.

Lots of "ifs" but if you can get to Rome; if 966 / 967 continue to operate; if you're willing to book something 4/23 or later then you've got a shot at FCO - IAD.

Good luck! As for us we've got every available appendage crossed hoping for luck.

CB
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by RickFuller
Anyone care to speculate on probability that IAD-DXB route gets impacted by the ash situation?
Unless something drastic changes with the ash situation, it should be fine. Flights from the US east coast to the Middle East will just be taking a more Southerly route than normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.