Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
+1 ^ Totaly agree sorry upgraders, Paid should always trump upgrades imo.

Originally Posted by climmy
No, I'm not suggesting that. I was unclear.

It's apparent that the flights are filling with re-accoms. I find it hard to believe every [LATER] possible flight routing is filled to capacity with paid customers (including SWU's, miles, etc).

What I'm suggesting is that a GS on paid fare should get the seat, even at the expense of downgrading a RE-ACCOMODATED upgrader. In other words, and upgrader taking a flight a couple of days later should be downgraded to accomodate a GS paid fare.

Anyone taking their ORIGINALLY scheduled flight in a premium cabin, regardless of how they got there should remain.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
travel waiver extended

Waiver now covers 14-22nd April.

My re-booked flight on Sunday now doesn't look so good....
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by hh1
Waiver now covers 14-22nd April.(
Now what to do.... Flight to LHR is on the 21st... It's for a family member. They want to return as close to the 21st as possible. So not sure which option to go for:

* Wait 48 hours and see if it looks like they can keep their LAX-LHR flight
* Call & see if the LAX-LHR flight can be switched to LAX-FCO or LAX-MAD (not sure what fees this would incur)

Sigh.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:07 pm

I was supposed to fly out of AMS on UA today and thus far have had 3 flights canceled. Booked a one-way award ticket and have been put on LH ex-DUS, CO ex-AMS and now I'm back on UA ex-BRU. All no problems at all despite being on an award ticket. Though while I was on LH and CO my fare class popped up as being full Y and indicated I would earn 150% of the miles. Would be nice if I could have flown and actually earned miles for a redemption ticket.

I'm hoping my BRU-ORD flight doesn't get cancelled on Monday
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Here I sit in the UK and according to the BBC it looks like the ban may be lifted in the Morning. I hope so because I am on the LHR-ORD 7:45 AM flight.
Think Positive for me please
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by BDLORD
Here I sit in the UK and according to the BBC it looks like the ban may be lifted in the Morning. I hope so because I am on the LHR-ORD 7:45 AM flight.
Could you please give me a source for this news because all that I'm reading is this

Restrictions currently in place across UK controlled airspace will stay until at least 1200 GMT on Saturday, officials say
source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8623534.stm

though I'm hoping what you say is true because that might be a sign of things to come for the continent.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
according to who? BA just cancelled everything tomorrow in and out of LHR! A few planes are coming in to the Scottish airports from the US (and pax put on buses to London ), but no indication the planes will leave the UK again.

and unfortunately unless United sends some aircraft over to LHR, there won't be any to return to the US - am thinking UA may resume a day after BA.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Well I tried to but it is cancelled according to the United website:

Airline: United
Flight: 929
Date: Sat, Apr 17

Sorry.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
News of restrictions being lifted in England pertains to airports to the north......

NATS said airports in Manchester, Liverpool and all airports to the north of those may be available for some flights between 0400 BST and 1000 BST on Saturday, but only for flight heading north and west. Forecasts indicated the ash cloud was expected to return over northern England at 1000 BST and it was likely that restrictions would be reintroduced.
Next update will be at 0900 BST.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
BBC News
Don't attack me, I'm stuck here.

Flight 958
Not Departed
More details Chicago, IL (ORD)
Sat, Apr 17
Scheduled: 4:00 PM
Estimated: 4:00 PM
Reason: --
Terminal 1 Concourse C
Gate: C20
London, United Kingdom (LHR)
Sun, Apr 18
Scheduled: 5:55 AM
Estimated: 5:55 AM
Reason: --
Gate: --
Baggage claim: --

So like I asked please think positive!!!!!!
I hope to be on 929 on Sunday Morning!!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 16, 2010 at 3:53 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Are there any UA planes on the ground in LHR?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:08 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Are there any UA planes on the ground in LHR?
Negative on that one. Looking at our schedule last plane to operate in and out of LHR was N793UA. Operating as IAD-LHR-IAD 918/919 15apr (local LHR).

So our operations now rest on being able to get a plane in safely to anywhere in the area affected. Not sure what type of equipment it may be that we could finally get through. Unfortunately only time will tell.

Sorry folks. Wish i could help more.
-CLE-
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CleUnited
So our operations now rest on being able to get a plane in safely to anywhere in the area affected. Not sure what type of equipment it may be that we could finally get through.
Is there a chance to come up with some 744s to ease the backlog?

Sightly OT: Just noticed at the DL forum 1 thread with 6 posts about impact on DL flights and another one sporting 14 post re "Volcano Rebooking". Yet overhere 148 posts. FT UA guys are really on top of things, especially given the much larger TATL DL schedule.

Last edited by cesco.g; Apr 16, 2010 at 4:27 pm Reason: Add DL remark
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:25 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Is there a chance to come up with some 744s to ease the backlog?
I believe Corporate and SOC are planning on upgauging some of the flights and maybe adding extra sections to clear the backlog up once we are able to land a plane. with as much backlog as there is now we won't know for sure until we can get at least one piece of equipment in there safely. As soon as we do, I would say plan on seeing some of the bigger boys flying and maybe a few extras. But again that's all up to mother nature and the think tanks up top.

I'm just a lowly cs.
-CLE-
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by CleUnited
I believe Corporate and SOC are planning on upgauging some of the flights and maybe adding extra sections to clear the backlog up once we are able to land a plane. with as much backlog as there is now we won't know for sure until we can get at least one piece of equipment in there safely. As soon as we do, I would say plan on seeing some of the bigger boys flying and maybe a few extras. But again that's all up to mother nature and the think tanks up top.

I'm just a lowly cs.
-CLE-
What happened to 959 that I was on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.