Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Why?
Well, it seems like the volcano isn't blowing out much ash at the moment. Less ash = better chances for departing flights within 48h. Don't you think so?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by servus
Well, it seems like the volcano isn't blowing out much ash at the moment. Less ash = better chances for departing flights within 48h. Don't you think so?
I would love to agree but I think that this is the volcano live and looks like it is still spewing - but your Icelandic might be better than mine !
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:52 am

Holly crap! You are right, so please forget about my prevous post Sorry for that
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:04 am

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
But anyone traveling ANYWHERE in the world should reconfirm they have a hotel on arrival. All flights into Europe are grounded, so hotels everywhere are booked and will likely stay that way. I heard Singapore was almost out of hotel rooms. Until planes start going, it will be tough everywhere.
The hotels are going crazy. I'm stranded in MUC, and hotels are near impossible to come by. There is some trade show on here next week and mediocre hotels are charging over 1000 Euro per night. Of course they will come down when they realise that no-one will be coming, but wonder when that will be. I found a hotel until Monday morning and hope that the prices come down before I have to extend it.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
In scanning this 18 pages thread, it would appear that UA is taking good care of their GS and 1K as expected ^

I need to go to FRA & CDG in the second week of MAY, and would certainly hope that life is back to normal by then.

But then the volcano experts are saying on TV that this kind of eruption could last for months, perhaps years

So, should I plan for more southernly routes, e.g. FCO or MAD to get across the pond, and then figure out how to go the FRA and CDG once I'm in Europe, or simply do my usual thing and let the chips fall however they may?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:30 am

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
Originally Posted by follonica2
i'm currently in Paris, having made it in on last inbound #914 from IAD on 15 April. Supposed to return 20 April, but we'll see....

My question: are the crews that worked the last inbounds still stuck here in places like London, Frankfurt, Paris, etc., along with the rest of us?
Yes the US based crews from ORD,SFO and IAD that worked the last US-Europe flight on the 14th are stuck in Europe since the 15th. We also have the FRA and LHR based crews that were due to fly back from the States also stuck in LAX,SFO,DEN,ORD, & IAD.

I'm pretty sure most can't wait for the airports to re open so they can back home.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:27 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Looks like United has just cancelled the London flights today, and tomorow's TATL flights from London. Guess that won't surprise anyone.

The only option really for TATL now is Madrid (for now) or wait 3-4 weeks.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:53 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
I'm on UA967 sitting at FCO right now. Airspace over Spain is jam packed. We are on our 3d flight plan and adding more fuel. UA smartly subbed a 777ER onto the route. Every seat is filled. The captain's done a good job keeping us updated and the FAs are keeping us watered. Pax are handling the delay well; I think we're all just glad that it looks like we'll make it out of Europe today.

Update:

Flight plan approved and fueled up. Looking at a flight time of 10 hours and 12 minutes. As soon as the paperwork for the additional fuel is done, it looks like we'll be departing. Good luck to everyone else trying to cross the Pond.

Update 2: I jumped the gun. Now waiting for clearance from Algeria.

Last edited by gvdIAD; Apr 18, 2010 at 6:09 am Reason: update
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:45 am

Programs: MP
On one of the radar sites posted, it appears that the ash is no longer over MANCHESTER. Anyone have a clue whether they are operating flights to US?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:07 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 2P
Does anyone have any idea if your flight ends up cancelled if you can just request a refund instead of rebooking? Or are you pretty much stuck with endless waiting for the next flight out (or cancel the tix yourself and suck up the change fee).
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:15 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I would love to agree but I think that this is the volcano live and looks like it is still spewing - but your Icelandic might be better than mine !
That's an incredible website! Thanks for sharing the link. UA967 FCO-IAD is running late today but may depart and use a very southerly route over the Azores!
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerbeth
Does anyone have any idea if your flight ends up cancelled if you can just request a refund instead of rebooking? Or are you pretty much stuck with endless waiting for the next flight out (or cancel the tix yourself and suck up the change fee).
If your flight has been canceled you are eligible for a full refund.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:50 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 2P
Originally Posted by worldtrav
If your flight has been canceled you are eligible for a full refund.
Thanks WorldTrav, I'd expect so - would this event (act of God) be reason for the airline to get out of it, though?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
My flight for tomorrow, LHR-SFO got cancelled, earliest rebook date they gave me was 23rd April, but as I wanted to fly on the 24th I took that and it seemed to have a lot of availability. Total time on the phone was 4 minutes - I may have to go to one of the BA threads where they seem to have to wait 3+ hours in some cases to gloat. I know I shouldn't but ..............................
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold
UA 933 cancelled for tomorrow (Monday), since 932 is not flying in tonight. 1k line was helpful, rebooked for Thursday on LH metal. We'll see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.