Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fezzington
Something along the lines of having paid the same price for the same service...
Tell 'em you've given United $12,000+ for your "free" cheeseburger.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/Starwood Platinum Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by transportprof
I thought the premium wines were exempt from the free drinks for 1K/GS, and from the chits too?

Congrats on the honeymoon, btw!
Thank you! I believe they are as well, but the FA offered and we weren't going to turn it down
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
FAs are being told in the annual training that warm meals are not part of this benefit. I was able to pull up the page in the wiki to convince my crew otherwise, but you all may see some pushback as well.

I've already written in to have the folks at recurrent to stop telling people this.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
FAs are being told in the annual training that warm meals are not part of this benefit. I was able to pull up the page in the wiki to convince my crew otherwise, but you all may see some pushback as well.

I've already written in to have the folks at recurrent to stop telling people this.
From the website:

"All Choice Menu options, both Snack Shop and Bistro on Board items, are included."

1K Economy Benefit
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
The last few months or so I haven't even mentioned that I'm 1K; I just ask for the meal and drink and never have I been asked for proof or payment. I'd like to think I have some Jedi mind control but I think it has more to do with the FAs just being more proactive at checking the manifest.

However, regarding the current food available, I think it's disappointing...The burger is OK considering it's plane food but I would have hoped UA would have at least one healthy hot menu item.

I'm not in Y that much so it's not that big a deal to me anyway.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

If the trainers cannot get the policy correct while administering classes, no wonder there is such inconsistency and misunderstandings.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
During the last 20 flights, I have always been given my meal (usually a fresh item) and my IPA or Bloody Mary without any fuss.

A few times I was asked for payment, to which I replied that I'm a 1K, and the FA just moved on.

Several times, I have received 'Thank you for being a 1K, and sometime with hand written notes on the pilot's business card.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Asked for my usual Moscow Mule yesterday. FA said "Just to let you know, those aren't part of the program, but I'll let you have that one. Just keep it in mind for the future". I asked "Since when?". "Since start of program - we only get two. The wine and Tito's are excluded also". I decided to approach him at back of a/c after everyone deplaned in manner that might get him to look at his service guidelines. I apologized for my belligerent response and told him I've always gotten them and was acting on what I knew/thought was the current limitation (the wine) mentioned in the mailing we got and on the web site, which I showed to him on my iPhone. I suggested maybe they have directives that vary from the program details we've been provided. He then said he "seemed to recall a recent service bulletin limiting Mule distribution" - which ran contrary to his initial "forever" response. Hopefully the service bulletin is a figment or fabrication and the Mule will be offered by him in the future. He was professionally courteous in our conversation. He said UA sort of makes it hard at times. Said the Mules were popular and there's usually not enough to meet demand. I suggested that's a catering issue and (being cynical) maybe there's an idea at UA that there's a cost saving in not catering too many of them because that "idiot from Maui" and like-minded 1K/GS Mulers are the only ones drinking them (and for 'free' at that).
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Asked for my usual Moscow Mule yesterday. FA said "Just to let you know, those aren't part of the program, but I'll let you have that one. Just keep it in mind for the future". I asked "Since when?". "Since start of program - we only get two. The wine and Tito's are excluded also". .... I suggested that's a catering issue and (being cynical) maybe there's an idea at UA that there's a cost saving in not catering too many of them because that "idiot from Maui" and like-minded 1K/GS Mulers are the only ones drinking them (and for 'free' at that).
Us Mulers have to stick together! I asked for an Oktoberfest with my coach-burger last trip, so didn't experience any new rules. But I'll be sure to request a Mule on next month's flights. Perhaps an email in to 1K Voice is called for?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
First flight as a 1K and very unimpressed with service. Start the day with long 10pp line at SFO Gate 60 UC (need an express line for those who don't have service issues @:-)). Once plane takes off three is no service for about 1 hour on a transcon - heck I've seen meals cleared in less time. I am eagerly looking forward to my first free meal but no dice on the pretzel roll ( sorry sir we didn't stock any). What about protein plate? Sorry none of those either. Well what do you have? I don't do crappy burgers, or the sandwiches ruined by aioli (why on earth can't they put condiments on side) so I end up with cheese plate. I mention I am 1k - there is no acknowledgement. Then the drink server comes by and gives me a G&T (thankfully they stocked Bombay) and does not ask for payment.

About an hour later I go back to ask for a can of Diet Coke. The FA who is reclining & jamming to his music reluctantly rises to grab a can. I then have to ask for ice. I am made to feel a as though this is a big imposition by one of those overentitled elites.

All in all,can't complain about my exit row aisle rez 2 months in advance but I can't say UA did much to make me feel extra valued. We'll see about the return flight.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Boraxo
First flight as a 1K and very unimpressed with service. Start the day with long 10pp line at SFO Gate 60 UC (need an express line for those who don't have service issues @:-)). Once plane takes off three is no service for about 1 hour on a transcon - heck I've seen meals cleared in less time. I am eagerly looking forward to my first free meal but no dice on the pretzel roll ( sorry sir we didn't stock any). What about protein plate? Sorry none of those either. Well what do you have? I don't do crappy burgers, or the sandwiches ruined by aioli (why on earth can't they put condiments on side) so I end up with cheese plate. I mention I am 1k - there is no acknowledgement. Then the drink server comes by and gives me a G&T (thankfully they stocked Bombay) and does not ask for payment.

About an hour later I go back to ask for a can of Diet Coke. The FA who is reclining & jamming to his music reluctantly rises to grab a can. I then have to ask for ice. I am made to feel a as though this is a big imposition by one of those overentitled elites.

All in all,can't complain about my exit row aisle rez 2 months in advance but I can't say UA did much to make me feel extra valued. We'll see about the return flight.
Sounds about normal although I am usually offered ice when I get up for a drink in economy. Aside from the free food and booze I wouldn’t expect a higher level of service in economy as a 1K. It’s still economy.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

This sounds like a 738 or 739 that's not a t.p.s. (SFO/LAX-EWR/BOS) route. That being said, even on t.p.s. they have not had the pretzel dogs irrespective of what the inflight b.o.b. menu seems to be offering.

David
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the beginning, my experience was either "FA did not know this" or "FA did it with enthusiasm proactively based on their manifest on who the GS/1K are". Now, no one actively offers and no one refuses either when I ask for something.

It is just crazy that they can't even get such a simple thing consistent for their most loyal customers. What's wrong with this company?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I am eagerly looking forward to my first free meal but no dice on the pretzel roll ( sorry sir we didn't stock any). What about protein plate? Sorry none of those either...can't complain about my exit row aisle rez 2 months in advance...
Since UA's put in E+, I can't remember the last time I sat that far back. Maybe you were stuck with the exit row, but I tend to sit as far forward as possible to 1) maximize choice of food/drink and 2) exit earlier.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Given the progressively dreadful food offerings in First these days, I am interested in others' experiences asking the FA for the snacks/sandwiches offered for sale in Coach in place of the dreaded calzone or "EGG ?" sandwich

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.