Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
No, it was only the 1K's that got offered the "first" basket with the snack shop items... Even gave us a little speech, something along the lines of "Thank you for being a 1K member. Your status entitles you to a complimentary snack from our Snack Shop; can I offer you an item from this basket?" After she got to all the 1K's, then she went back with the normal F basket front-to-back for all of the F pax.

It was nice as a 1K; not sure how it'd feel as a non-1K.

(ps - I'm using 1K to mean 1K/GS, but I don't think we had any GS onboard.)
I think that is a very cool thing. The snack shop items are nicer than what is typically in the First Class basket, so it makes sense that they should be offered to 1Ks/GS in First.

Probably not official policy, but probably should be. Kudos to the flight staff on that one.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I think that is a very cool thing. The snack shop items are nicer than what is typically in the First Class basket, so it makes sense that they should be offered to 1Ks/GS in First.

Probably not official policy, but probably should be. Kudos to the flight staff on that one.
I've always found it odd that on short flights, SEA-SFO for example, that I actually get treated better in the back than I do in First. You're not limited to the small snack basket, and I often get 2 beers without pushback.

I've passed my upgrade many, many times to opt for an E+ seat with the middle empty and I much prefer it. Also less DYKWIA drama in row 7...
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
No, it was only the 1K's that got offered the "first" basket with the snack shop items... Even gave us a little speech, something along the lines of "Thank you for being a 1K member. Your status entitles you to a complimentary snack from our Snack Shop; can I offer you an item from this basket?" After she got to all the 1K's, then she went back with the normal F basket front-to-back for all of the F pax.

It was nice as a 1K; not sure how it'd feel as a non-1K.

(ps - I'm using 1K to mean 1K/GS, but I don't think we had any GS onboard.)
That’s nice, but something like that should be on request only, or just mentioned when they bring the drinks and the regular basket, like “Here’s you coffee, sir, should you want a snack beyond the snack basket, your 1K status entitles you to any SnackShop item”.

I wouldn’t be happy as a Silver if they came around with a basket I wasn’t entitled to, even though passengers in First usually get SnackShop items comped anyway.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
That’s nice, but something like that should be on request only, or just mentioned when they bring the drinks and the regular basket, like “Here’s you coffee, sir, should you want a snack beyond the snack basket, your 1K status entitles you to any SnackShop item”.

I wouldn’t be happy as a Silver if they came around with a basket I wasn’t entitled to, even though passengers in First usually get SnackShop items comped anyway.
As a silver, you'd certainly be welcome to ask for anything in the basket.... the difference is the price. No different than in economy. Don't see that as an issue, but then again, I'm up here in the ivory tower as a Lowly 1K. ;-)
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Just came back from a very pleasant E+ flight MUC-EWR as a 1K. We were each given a small bottle of champagne just prior to take off with "thanks for being a 1K" talk. Then when the carts came up one of the FAs announced to the other that "these 2 are VIPs". I asked for chardonnay and they fetched some from the front of the plane. We were given water bottles from business and the Purser came back during the flight to personally thank us for being 1K and for giving our business to UA. The food was not too bad and the FAs were very friendly and helpful (except for one who rarely smiled). About 2 hours before the end of the flight another FA brought us another small bottle of champagne with 2 cups but at that point I had had enough wine (boyfriend doesn't drink) and thanked her kindly. I still wouldn't do E+ on the way to EU due to the need for sleep, but for daytime flights, I would certainly fly UA again.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
Best experience yet LAS-SFO last week. F was sold out weeks in advance, so there were plenty of 1K's riding in Y, myself included.

While seated in 7A waiting to pushback, the lead FA popped his head through the F curtain, greeted me by name, shook my hand and thanked me for being a valued 1K. He also informed me there might not be a main cabin drink service due to the expected turbulence but told me to ask him if I needed anything throughout the flight. He even offered me a PDB!

After takeoff, we did find some air smooth enough to allow drink service. I ordered an IPA from the main cabin FA but I didn't get a chance to see if she was going to try and charge me because Mr. Awesome from the F cabin overheard my order and said he would take care of it. He promptly brought an ice cold goose island from the F galley along with a glass! I even watched him come through the main cabin to refill wine glasses a few times.

My guess is a majority of those seated in F on that flight were low or no status pax on $200 UPDI fares. Kudos to this guy for sincerely recognizing those of us in the back who are not only loyal to UA, but probably paid double the fare of most people seated in F.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't know if I should post this here or in DYKWIA thread...

IAH-LAS this past Saturday as two FAs started drink and food service in economy.

FA1: "I don't have the list, do you?"
FA2: "No - don't worry about it, they tell us"
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I didn't know if I should post this here or in DYKWIA thread...

IAH-LAS this past Saturday as two FAs started drink and food service in economy.

FA1: "I don't have the list, do you?"
FA2: "No - don't worry about it, they tell us"
Sounds like a DYKWIA flight attendant. :-) UA's policy is clear: "Before ordering, make sure your flight attendant knows that you’re a member with Premier 1K status, and show your digital MileagePlus membership card, available in the United app, or your Premier membership card or boarding pass."

I've had a "thank you for being 1K... you can choose a snack" on exactly one flight, from a very nice UX flight attendant on a CR2. Then again, I was the only person in Group 1 on that flight, so the list was probably pretty easy to parse. :-)
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
"Before ordering, make sure your flight attendant knows that you’re a member with Premier 1K status, and show your digital MileagePlus membership card, available in the United app, or your Premier membership card or boarding pass."
Has anyone actually had to show their digital or physical membership card? My scenario either plays out as: I am greeted as a 1k or I tell them I'm a 1k.

I've never been asked to prove it (which would be really cumbersome for me as I never have a paper ticket, I don't carry my membership card, and the united app is cumbersome at best and would take a minute or so to pull up).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
One time I got on an earlier flight flying standby. Me and another guy got BP's to board, but someone was in our seat. The FA asked us to stand in the rear galley as they sorted it out. Finally he came back and gave us the choice of a middle exit row or middle last row E-. Before I had a chance to speak, the other guy (silver status) said he'd take the Exit row. Oh well. Anyways, the same FA came back much later with drinks and ask about food. I said I wanted the french toast or something. I verbally told him I was 1K. He looked confused and said "Do you have your card or a BP?" I showed it to him thinking "You spent a while looking at my BP while I was standing in your galley". I guess he has a short memory. That was the only time.

While seated in F, I've often heard the FA yell back to the Main Cabin FA the seat numbers of who is GS/1K. (I assume she doesnt do this when its a long list)

I also had an occasion where I asked for an item and said I was 1K. The FA sorta winked at me and said "Yeah, I thought you looked like a 1K". I wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing.

I wouldn't worry about it, worst case you can pull it up on your app. Absolute worst case, they can look you up on the manifest.

Last edited by eng3; Apr 10, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:36 pm

I'm not worrying about it at all! Just figured it would be annoying to pull up the app, pass my phone over from the window, all to confirm that yes, I can have a free bag of chips.

I've also had the "I thought you looked like a 1k" to me too. Funny thing is I don't think I DO look like a typical 1k as I'm never in business attire

as for

Finally he came back and gave us the choice of a middle exit row or middle last row E-
I would have been a bit peeved at that... you should have had first pick but, the FA's probably don't really give a damn at that point, nor are they able to process the myriad of fare/class rules united goes by! haha.. and I guess you were flying standby so you'd be good with whatever you ended up with.

Last edited by sholnay; Apr 10, 2017 at 2:42 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sholnay
I'm not worrying about it at all! Just figured it would be annoying to pull up the app, pass my phone over from the window, all to confirm that yes, I can have a free bag of chips.
I'd say 50% the time I have my app open and flash it as I say I'm 1K - that's when they haven't pro-actively recognized it (sometimes with a list or, impressively, without).

The whole gesture is much more effective if they know who you are prior (obviously).
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Sounds like a DYKWIA flight attendant. :-) UA's policy is clear: "Before ordering, make sure your flight attendant knows that you’re a member with Premier 1K status, and show your digital MileagePlus membership card, available in the United app, or your Premier membership card or boarding pass."

I've had a "thank you for being 1K... you can choose a snack" on exactly one flight, from a very nice UX flight attendant on a CR2. Then again, I was the only person in Group 1 on that flight, so the list was probably pretty easy to parse. :-)
I've had a little better percentage. My take is the asking FA wanted to be proactive and the answering FA usually depended on 1Ks to identify themselves. I kind of appreciate the proactive method rather having to discretely flashing the big "1K" on the BP.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I clearly need to pay attention better.

I thought the benefit was only available on flights that had a first class, but in reading the actual policy, it appears to be a benefit on all flights that are offering food for purchase.

I've been ignoring my free drinks and snacks on my ERJ-145 IAH-RIC flights for a year.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
I clearly need to pay attention better.

I thought the benefit was only available on flights that had a first class, but in reading the actual policy, it appears to be a benefit on all flights that are offering food for purchase.

I've been ignoring my free drinks and snacks on my ERJ-145 IAH-RIC flights for a year.
I guess this sums up that the FA has not once recognized you as a 1K on any of these flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.