Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club

Originally Posted by edcho
I would write it in so that the issue gets corrected with the FA assuming you are a 1K/GS (your profile says plat).

I think the surveys even say to write in (either via the feedback form or via e-mail) to address issues with the flight.

While it still isn't perfect, it's gotten much better lately IME.
Yes, I am 1K (haven't updated my profile in years). And while I have consistently gotten a snack and drink on previous flights, I didn't want to get confrontational in the event that: 1) perhaps I misunderstood the official policy and previous FAs were merely being generous, or 2) perhaps the policy had recently changed without my knowledge.

P.S. Still waiting for the email survey...
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by sakaike
I've been generally pleased with this relatively new perk until yesterday...

Flew UA1075, EWR-SNA in E+. Requested a tapas box and two red wines and provided the FA with one drink chit for the second wine. She proceeded to ask whether I had paid for the box (which was provided to me by the second FA). I said no. She proceeded to charge me for the second wine while also taking the one chit. I told her I was entitled to the box and one drink and she insisted it was one or the other. She went on to say that if she gave me that wine for free, that she would have angry pax across the aisle because she did the same thing to them.

Not wanting to argue (I was tired and it was late), I just gave her a second chit and let it go.

If I get a survey email, I'll make note of it. Execution of this perk is still inconsistent...
I took a screenshot of the mystatus.com blurb that states it's both food and drink for this reason. I say something like, "The only reason I knew to ask is I saw this [shows FA pic] on the website after I qualified for 1K."

If that doesn't work I don't push the issue - I just hope for a survey or another opportunity to address it. It just blows my mind that something so easy to get right is somehow not able to be communicated to all FA personnel.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM

Flew UA1075, EWR-SNA in E+. Requested a tapas box and two red wines and provided the FA with one drink chit for the second wine. She proceeded to ask whether I had paid for the box (which was provided to me by the second FA). I said no. She proceeded to charge me for the second wine while also taking the one chit. I told her I was entitled to the box and one drink and she insisted it was one or the other. She went on to say that if she gave me that wine for free, that she would have angry pax across the aisle because she did the same thing to them.

Not wanting to argue (I was tired and it was late), I just gave her a second chit and let it go.

If I get a survey email, I'll make note of it. Execution of this perk is still inconsistent...
Our last flights LIH-SFO-LIH we were offered drinks and sandwiches proactively. I asked for and got white AND red wine, my husband mai tai and beer. Great FA, thanked us for being 1K!
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:05 pm

I just flew UA1175, SFO/HNL in economy, and I asked for a wine and a Tappas Snack box. The FA said I would have to pay for the Tappas because, I already was given a complimentary drink. I replied that I am entitled to a drink and a snack box, but she said the policy is one or the other. I politely asked her to check with the onboard purser, which the FA did. When she returned, from asking the purser, she apologized and said I stand corrected! Still, there are FA's who don't know the policy!
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by LimeySD
I never been denied and rarely questioned about status. They have gotten better with knowing who you are. International flights have been inconsistent. It seems to be down to the crew if they want to recognize 1K or not.
To be fair, the only international flights that this policy applies to are ones within North America.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
To be fair, the only international flights that this policy applies to are ones within North America.
+1 .. this. Policy is Domestic only and there have been sporadic mentions of this happening on Int'l flights, but those should be counted as exceptions and not the rule.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I have had great experiences lately. Either they already know and offer me the free stuff or once I say it, they acknowledge it quickly and in a very respectful friendly manner.
also they alway say, "thank you for your business sir".
As for the drinks, I always ask for two and have. Chit ready for the second one but they never ask for payment. 👍🏻
Old Dec 22, 2016, 3:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
+1 .. this. Policy is Domestic only ....
per T&Cs
Flights within North America" is defined as all travel within the 50 United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.
While not exactly the same, similiar to CPU-eligiblity. And PS/Hawaii flights included.
Long haul international seems to be an occasional above and beyond FA/crew.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
As 2016 comes to an end, I must say that I'm VERY pleased with this benefit!

Not once have I've been asked to show my 1K card or prove my status, or needed to show the UA page on this benefit on my iPad.

About 75% of the time, the crew already know that I'm a 1K, they proactively offer me my drink and meal with a smile, and thanked me for my business. The other times, they needed to check with another FA but there were no further incident.

This benefit is most handy for me at breakfast when the eggs with sausage and the Bloody Mary make for a nice start to the day! ^
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
If that doesn't work I don't push the issue - I just hope for a survey or another opportunity to address it. It just blows my mind that something so easy to get right is somehow not able to be communicated to all FA personnel.
No need to wait for survey, just email 1kvoice - let them know of the need for additional training and that you would appreciate a refund of the incorrect charge. They will likely direct you to the refund request page, so you could also start there, but they could also throw some miles at you for the inconvenience.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sapguy
As 2016 comes to an end, I must say that I'm VERY pleased with this benefit!

Not once have I've been asked to show my 1K card or prove my status, or needed to show the UA page on this benefit on my iPad...
I'm pleased, too - have been getting both items w/o fuss. About half the time proactively receive them and the other half I just have to remind them that I'm 1K. My CPU percentages have plummeted this year with UA's move to mostly 738s between Left Coast and OGG. The "free" sandwiches and meatball w/ pasta are pretty good and the Moscow Mules alleviate some of the disappointment.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:24 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G

I assume you're 1K… your profile says Plat (which gets free nothing). If you are, I'd write to 1KVoice and expect a small token of comp. You shouldn't have to pay or give up chits for this.

Complaining does us all a favor ensuring that UA FAs are kept accountable for following policies.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
First flight in Y since the benefit started. Please so far. Got a food item and drink no questions asked. FA even offered it to my wife as well. FA also came back at least twice to ask if I wanted anything else.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 6:37 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As promised earlier, when the thread was temporarily closed, it is now reopened. The consensus of the United forum Moderator team, is to move the recent posts discussing sharing with or giving to non GS/1K passengers the food and beverage benefits provided to GS/1K in economy.

Those posts have now been made into a new thread which can be found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...non-gs-1k.html

Let's keep this original thread on the central topic of how well or not the benefit is offered to 1K/GS. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 29, 2016 at 7:41 pm
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA GS
If I'm traveling with a companion, and we split our PNR, and I get upgraded but they do not, and I offer them my seat while I stick back in coach, can I show my card to get the benefit? On the manifest it would show up as my non-status companion seated where I am. Anyone with experience?

The policy technically says "traveling in economy" so I would think the crew would oblige especially if it was explained.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.