Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:25 pm

Last year I flew ORD-IAH a couple of times in Y and I got that hot roast beef sandwich ( for free ).
think that's part of the Bistro menu. Where can I find the Bistro menu, I looked in the Hemisphere
magazine, but didn't see it? And are Bistro serving times limited to certain hours of the day besides
minimum flight length?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Last week on UAX, I was asked for a card and then the FA immediately remembered she could check her list...
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Last year I flew ORD-IAH a couple of times in Y and I got that hot roast beef sandwich ( for free ).
think that's part of the Bistro menu. Where can I find the Bistro menu, I looked in the Hemisphere
magazine, but didn't see it? And are Bistro serving times limited to certain hours of the day besides
minimum flight length?
Like this?

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...nomy/menu.aspx
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by findark

Thank you^
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
...Where can I find the Bistro menu, I looked in the Hemisphere magazine, but didn't see it?...
There's now a separate pamphlet in seat pocket that covers food/entertainment/etc
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
On ORD-SFO and PDX-ORD in Economy (other segments in F)

ORD-SFO - Had my BP with the giant "Premier 1K" out and asked for the Classic box "You know we have hot stuff, right?" -- "er...the Classic would be perfect thanks" -- done and done. My FA took the opportunity to show the other FA she was working with how to enter the comp on the mobile device, something the 2nd FA apparently had never done.

PDX-ORD - Had my 1K card out, again asked for the classic, got a momentary "deer in the headlights" look, but got handed the box with no fuss. Guy next to me was a 1K but couldn't find his card until after the service and had self-downgraded from First to sit next to his wife. [I did see he had a 1K/1MM virtual card in the UA app]-- just told the FA "I'm a 1K, may I have the Tapas and some Hummus" -- again, done. The FA never asked for proof or anything and the manifest wouldn't have shown a 1K in that seat.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think UA really needs to have better execution on this front. It is very inconsistent from the FA proactively thanking you and offering the food to FA even trying to deny you food and make you feel not valued, which totally defeats the purpose.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:26 pm

SEA-SFO yesterday, FA just asked: "would you like a complimentary snack item?" She had a printout, checked the list and asked a few people near my seat. For other passengers she asked "would you like to purchase any snacks" while handing out the pretzel bags.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Recently flying with a non-1k friend (same booking, but the PNRs seemed to get split at the airport), we were both offered free food/snacks. (The other person in my row was also a 1k, they were also offered automatically.)
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by televisor
Recently flying with a non-1k friend (same booking, but the PNRs seemed to get split at the airport), we were both offered free food/snacks. (The other person in my row was also a 1k, they were also offered automatically.)
Maybe the FA just decided to comp the third person. A little demeaning if the FA says two people can get a free snack, but one can get nothing for free.

Better than the FA not knowing about the rule and not comping anything to anyone.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
A few possibilities:

1. Perhaps there was a bug in the system and your non-1k friend showed up as 1K?
2. Maybe your FA had really poor eye sight and looked over the print out and mistakenly thought your friend was 1K as well
3. A few times, I saw the lead FA look over the sheet then verbally tell the other FA's which seat numbers are 1K. Maybe something got lost in communication
4. The FA didn't care or felt nice and just comped your friend.
5. One time, I requested a meal and as I said "I'm 1K" she sorta winked at me and said "I thought you looked like a 1K". I don't know if that is good or bad but maybe your friend has the 1k "look"
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
Maybe the FA just decided to comp the third person. A little demeaning if the FA says two people can get a free snack, but one can get nothing for free.

Better than the FA not knowing about the rule and not comping anything to anyone.
FAs do have a "Comp" button on their mobile device and from what I understand very wide discretion as to its use. I've been told by some FAs that as long as you're polite/treat them like a human and not demanding they'll basically give you anything on the plane if you ask nicely regardless of status.

Especially when 2/3rds of the row (virtually guaranteed to be a window and aisle, because let's face it what kind of 1K would voluntarily wedge themselves in a middle seat?) comping the last person regardless of status is a "surprise and delight" opportunity and may take some of the sting out of being shoulder-to-shoulder with two strangers for 5 hours.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
(virtually guaranteed to be a window and aisle, because let's face it what kind of 1K would voluntarily wedge themselves in a middle seat?)
People on last minute purchased tickets who had no other choice?
Happens to me all the time.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: UA MM
Was on 557 IAH-EWR yesterday. One flight attendant gave me the snack I requested. Did not charge for it when I mentioned my 1K status. The drinks attendant refused to give me Smart Water bottle for free saying the free beverage is applicable only to Alcoholic beverages... I knew it was a whopper but was too tired to argue with her. I rarely complain and am in general happy with UA. But somehow this really riled me up - to the extent that I am venting here!

Last edited by pindi; Mar 16, 2017 at 8:18 am
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by pindi
The drinks attendant refused to give me Smart Water bottle for free saying the free beverage is applicable only to Alcoholic beverages... I knew it was a whopper but was too tired to argue with her.
I've gotten this statement before. I usually counter with "I don't drink alcoholic beverages on planes or during work trips" and so far 100% of the time, UA flight attendants give in and give me a smart water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.