Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by villox
If I'm traveling with a companion, and we split our PNR, and I get upgraded but they do not, and I offer them my seat while I stick back in coach, can I show my card to get the benefit?
Yep, just show the card. Usually when I show the card that's the end of it, but if they were to ask questions I think it's a common enough explanation. (I had one FA trying quite valiantly to swipe my 1K card as a credit card a half dozen or so times before saying "it's not working, do you have another?" and I had to delicately point out that it was a 1K card... she just said "Oh", handed it back, and moved on. That's been my only notable experience with the card)
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
I have had great experiences lately. Either they already know and offer me the free stuff or once I say it, they acknowledge it quickly and in a very respectful friendly manner.
also they alway say, "thank you for your business sir".
As for the drinks, I always ask for two and have. Chit ready for the second one but they never ask for payment. 👍🏻
The FAs have a manifest of all GS/1K sitting in E+ thats in hardcopy. The iphone they carry also lists out by seat map where GS/1Ks are sitting.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAHFlyBoi
The FAs have a manifest of all GS/1K sitting in E+ thats in hardcopy...
The manifest actually lists all passengers and GS/1K status is noted even if they're in E-.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The manifest actually lists all passengers and GS/1K status is noted even if they're in E-.
From the copy I snuck a peak at during boarding a couple weeks ago it looked like all passengers had their status noted (1K, GS, PLAT, YY*G, YY*S -- actually, come to think of it I don't recall seeing any designations for Gold/Silver, but that may be because only a small portion of the manifest was visible)
Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
From the copy I snuck a peak at during boarding a couple weeks ago it looked like all passengers had their status noted (1K, GS, PLAT, YY*G, YY*S -- actually, come to think of it I don't recall seeing any designations for Gold/Silver, but that may be because only a small portion of the manifest was visible)
The app shows all status passengers by darker-colored seat symbols, from which the FA could query status. Last hardcopy manifest I had a good look at (admittedly a couple of years ago) showed even Gold and Silver status.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Discussion of E+/E- manifest is casting doubt on my understanding that a 1K/GS anywhere in the Y cabin (last row even) should be offered free food/bev item?
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Discussion of E+/E- manifest is casting doubt on my understanding that a 1K/GS anywhere in the Y cabin (last row even) should be offered free food/bev item?
I have sat in both Economy 'sections' and have received a free drink and snack item, even in the last row when I SDC/standby, and am lucky enough to get the last seat available on my flight of choice. The manifest may make it easier for them to be proactive, and some FA' are great at that, while others wait for you to tell them of your status, then type in your seat # to their iphone and move on.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
No, anywhere in the Y cabin, references to E-/E+ are a bit of a red herring (as most of the time a 1K or GS will be found in E+ but that's far from a certainty and is not a prerequisite for the perk)
Old Dec 31, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
No, anywhere in the Y cabin, references to E-/E+ are a bit of a red herring (as most of the time a 1K or GS will be found in E+ but that's far from a certainty and is not a prerequisite for the perk)
While the food and bev entitlement is independent of seating location, the reality is that some of the more popular meal items (esp the hot ones) will be gone by the time the FA's get to the E- seats in their service. So if you are 1K in E-, you may be entitled to hot pasta and meatballs, etc., but there will be none left to give you by the time you get service. Likewise for the Glenfarclas, especially if I'm on your flight.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by transportprof
While the food and bev entitlement is independent of seating location, the reality is that some of the more popular meal items (esp the hot ones) will be gone by the time the FA's get to the E- seats in their service. So if you are 1K in E-, you may be entitled to hot pasta and meatballs, etc., but there will be none left to give you by the time you get service. Likewise for the Glenfarclas, especially if I'm on your flight.
Ditto WRT popular hot items at a noonish or dinner time transcons.

Also, sometimes you settle for Glenfarclas when no Mai Tais are stocked on an LAX-KOA run (UA 1296 on 12/27)!

David
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Speaking of drink chits, I also have some I will give away but before I do, if I am MM and 1k and my adult son is my MM companion, will he also receive the drink/food benefit when flying w/o me ?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Speaking of drink chits, I also have some I will give away but before I do, if I am MM and 1k and my adult son is my MM companion, will he also receive the drink/food benefit when flying w/o me ?
He will get all the same 1K benefits as you whenever he travels alone
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sapguy
He will get all the same 1K benefits as you whenever he travels alone
Thanks - I'll keep a few for him to share with friends and then find some perfect strangers Actually I fly a fair number of places with significant military so likely to go to them.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:10 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I ended up back in Y today (12B LAX SFO--forgot seat assignment which was a dumb move). For the first time since this benefit was introduced a year ago, I was a asked for payment. Responded, "I am 1K," and the FA asked to see my membership card. Shower the UA app main screen and she said "ok" and moved on.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA1K Marriott Gold Hertz PC
DEN-SFO 1/21/17 morning on award ticket in E+ exit row.

Me in a discrete hushed tone "as a 1K may I have a Tapas snack box"
FA, loudly "Err, I think that's still a benefit"
Me "I believe so. Thanks"

FA didn't ask for 1K card or boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.