Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by spearsba
I guess this sums up that the FA has not once recognized you as a 1K on any of these flights.
Some routes it seems to happen regularly - some none at all. I'm assuming so far that "none at all" is more common.

Happened to me twice in the past year DEN-IAD, not once IAD-DEN, IAD-BOS, DEN-SAN or DEN-ORD.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by spearsba
I guess this sums up that the FA has not once recognized you as a 1K on any of these flights.
Correct.

I guess it is kind of crazy to expect FAs to know all the 1Ks on all the flights, but it feels just a little cheesy to order something and then say, "Well, I'm 1K".
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
Correct.

I guess it is kind of crazy to expect FAs to know all the 1Ks on all the flights, but it feels just a little cheesy to order something and then say, "Well, I'm 1K".
The implementation is all over the place. In theory, the FA (even on UAEX) should have a manifest that identifies all of the 1Ks onboard.

I think one of the oddest implementations I've experienced was last summer on LEX-ORD on a 145 where the FA schlepped an entire galley can of snacks by hand (no cart) to me in the exit row, thanked me for being a 1K, told me to pick whatever I wanted and asked if I wanted a drink and then schlepped it back up to the galley [apparently I was the only 1K onboard], before doing the normal cart-based drink service to the rest of the cabin without offering any food for purchase.

I've been recognized more discreetly a few other times on single-cabin flights [including one where the FA was practically begging me to take alcohol -- I don't drink and fly] but the majority have been no proactive recognition, but no problem if I really wanted something.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:55 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Sitting in row 20 (last minute booking on a sold out flight) I asked for 2 buffalo traces. FA was very nice and brought them to me right away, not asking for payment even for the second bottle.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:59 pm

2 questions
1) Can you order the combo meal? I tried and was rejected (I forgot...it was a breakfast meal that was like a skillet and yogurt)
2) Is this valid on international? I've been rejected twice for a shot of vodka in International Y (although one insisted it wasn't policy, but she didn't care and would give it to me and just take one from Business Class)
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by deskover54
2 questions
1) Can you order the combo meal? I tried and was rejected (I forgot...it was a breakfast meal that was like a skillet and yogurt)
2) Is this valid on international? I've been rejected twice for a shot of vodka in International Y (although one insisted it wasn't policy, but she didn't care and would give it to me and just take one from Business Class)
1. The policy does say one item...
Any thing you see here
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...nomy/menu.aspx
with a single price is one "item"

I've not been turned down with ordering the sandwich with fruit for breakfast

2. Not valid on intl Y
I'm 50% for being comped drinks on intl Y, Just show your card and ask and the worst they will do is say no
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
We realized last week that the policy is only for flights within North America. It doesn't apply for instance in Guam-Honolulu or Honolulu-Tokyo, where the flight attendant denied us in both flights the alcoholic drink (they had free wine to Tokyo but not to Guam) and asked us for coupons or to pay, no 1K recognition on either flight.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Mrs. Narvik (1K through my MM) on a flight EWR-SFO in E+ pays for a snack.

Later during the flight, a different FA comes up to her seat and verifies her name, and then proceeds to inform her that she is entitled to a free drink & snack, and says the previous FA should not have charged her, asks for the same credit card used to purchase the food, and issues a refund.

Well done UA. ^
Poorly done "me" for not letting Mrs. Narvik know beforehand!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 1KHI
We realized last week that the policy is only for flights within North America. It doesn't apply for instance in Guam-Honolulu or Honolulu-Tokyo, where the flight attendant denied us in both flights the alcoholic drink (they had free wine to Tokyo but not to Guam) and asked us for coupons or to pay, no 1K recognition on either flight.
Should ask for refund if you were charged on GUM-HNL flight. FA provided drink and hot food for me without asking on GUM-HNL last year. I think that GUM-HNL should be an international flight.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by deskover54
2 questions
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28081259-post769.html
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
One or the other

On UA 5719 DEN/EUG today flown by Skywest and likely the only 1K on the plane(but since a group 2 person blocked the boarding lane and the GA then called Groups 1 and 2, I don't know). I asked for wine and a snack box and was told it was one or the other. I said it was supposed to be both and the flight attendant acted like I was wrong but as a favor, gave me both.

It's bad enough that flight is on a CRJ200 anyway but not a fave day on the friendly skies. To be fair, the GA doing the boarding actually apologized for not waiting between boarding groups. And again to be fair, the yellow handle wrap on my plane side checked bag worked its magic because it was the first one up.

I watched them loading bags on the cart and they did put it aside to bring up first.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Have only been asked once to show my 1K card to get a snack box. However, this doesn't work when they don't serve/sell food which I found strange on my EWR-AUS and return flight this week. I should have asked for a drink instead.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by 1KHI
You're flight attendant(s) was misinformed. At least on on flights between HNL and GUM, it says from UA's website:

"One new way that we're enhancing the inflight experience for our most frequent flyers is by offering MileagePlus members with Premier® 1K® status free alcoholic beverages and snacks in United Economy®. If you’re a member with Premier 1K status, you'll receive one free alcoholic beverage and one free Choice Menu food item when traveling in United Economy on United- or United Express®-operated flights within North America and between Guam and Honolulu."

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...y-benefit.aspx
Old May 22, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Charged for a burger on UA2005 today.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
My wife was traveling the other day as a 1k in E+ FA came back and gave her and the 1k sitting next to her wine, a warm cookie and apologized that they weren't in F today.

Very nice. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.