Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: UA Gold
United should train their flight attendants better? My wife who was a 1k last year asked for a snack box and drink and the FA insisted she only gets one or the other. She ended up giving both to her but made it sound like she did us a favor.. and there were other instances where FAs were awesome and didn't even take drink vouchers for extra drinks.. night and day...

Originally Posted by pindi
Was on 557 IAH-EWR yesterday. One flight attendant gave me the snack I requested. Did not charge for it when I mentioned my 1K status. The drinks attendant refused to give me Smart Water bottle for free saying the free beverage is applicable only to Alcoholic beverages... I knew it was a whopper but was too tired to argue with her. I rarely complain and am in general happy with UA. But somehow this really riled me up - tot he extent that I am venting here!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting experience on my morning flight this week...

I asked for the Jimmy Dean. She gave me the sandwich and a cup of fruits. I thought the fruit belonged to my neighbor. It turned out they come together. https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...nomy/menu.aspx

My neighbor ordered the Power Breakfast. He got the fruits and yogurt. He then asked the FA where the skillet was. FA said he only could get the fruit and yogurt. He had to pull out the menu and show her he would get both items.

I remember on an earlier flight, the guy got his cheeseburger. Then later the FA came with the condiment box. The guy never got the french fry cookies.

FA asked me for credit card but did not ask him at all - we were both 1Ks.

So, not only they need to train the FAs better on proactively offering the food to 1Ks, they also need to make sure the FAs know what comes with some meals.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by LimeySD
I never been denied and rarely questioned about status. They have gotten better with knowing who you are. International flights have been inconsistent. It seems to be down to the crew if they want to recognize 1K or not.
All the flying I do with United is international, and I've only been recognized ONCE by a FA for being 1K. Once.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by username
Interesting experience on my morning flight this week...

I asked for the Jimmy Dean. She gave me the sandwich and a cup of fruits. I thought the fruit belonged to my neighbor. It turned out they come together. https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...nomy/menu.aspx

My neighbor ordered the Power Breakfast. He got the fruits and yogurt. He then asked the FA where the skillet was. FA said he only could get the fruit and yogurt. He had to pull out the menu and show her he would get both items.
I had the same experience when I ordered a Power Breakfast, the FA said its not a problem to get both items since it was such a light load and I deserved it as a 1K, but he definitely considered it as two items.

How was the Jimmy Dean? I'm not a huge fan of sweet potatoes so I might skip the skillet next time.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Silver
Last year in January, I was flying First from MEX-IAH not only was I recognized by the head FA, but the Captain came up to me and another 1K and thanked us for our loyalty. This month, our FA from DSM-IAH didn't recognize any 1Ks, but as soon as we told her and she verified on her manifest, she would thank us for our business and loyalty. Basically the only times I've been truly recognized.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: AC SE
Flying today, I'd asked for a drink and food item and was told it's either a drink OR a food item, but not both. The FA's had some chatter among themselves where one of them had asked the other if they saw the e-mail about it. UA's website still lists it as a drink AND a food item.

I'm hoping this is just a misinformed flight attendant, as I really appreciate this benefit when flying in Y, but it sounds like one of the FA's was under the impression it was being scaled back.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by gcashin
Flying today, I'd asked for a drink and food item and was told it's either a drink OR a food item, but not both. The FA's had some chatter among themselves where one of them had asked the other if they saw the e-mail about it. UA's website still lists it as a drink AND a food item.

I'm hoping this is just a misinformed flight attendant, as I really appreciate this benefit when flying in Y, but it sounds like one of the FA's was under the impression it was being scaled back.
They were probably mistaken. I've heard the same confusion a few times as well. Regardless, I always order a meal and drink, and only a handful of times they charged me for the 2nd item.

I've posted before that a quick email to 1kVoice usually results in a satisfactory resolution if they do charge me, with the (hopeful) added benefit of crew training.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I have a short flight (90 minutes) from SFO-LAS and back next week with the family. Are any of the choice options available on a sub 2-hour flight? More curious than anything - we won't really need to eat on such a short flight, after all.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cricketer
I have a short flight (90 minutes) from SFO-LAS and back next week with the family. Are any of the choice options available on a sub 2-hour flight? More curious than anything - we won't really need to eat on such a short flight, after all.
Just snacks (cookies/chips/etc) you choose from a basket in F. Hour and 15 minutes flight time, if that. Drink service and small snack (think stroopwafel/pretzels) in back. You'll survive.

From UA.com in-flight services - "Choice Menu Snack Shop offers snacks and snackboxes for purchase throughout the day in United Economy on most United mainline and United Express flights with a scheduled flight time over two hours."

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 4, 2017 at 4:19 pm
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Just snacks (cookies/chips/etc) you choose from a basket in F. Hour and 15 minutes flight time, if that. Drink service and small snack (think stroopwafel/pretzels) in back. You'll survive.

From UA.com in-flight services - "Choice Menu Snack Shop offers snacks and snackboxes for purchase throughout the day in United Economy on most United mainline and United Express flights with a scheduled flight time over two hours."
I sometimes ask if there is a snack cart anyway, and I've never been denied a box if there happens to be one on board, regardless of the flight length.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I sometimes ask if there is a snack cart anyway, and I've never been denied a box if there happens to be one on board, regardless of the flight length.
Had a pretty tremendous experience yesterday, flying from IAH-COS on a CRJ-700. The FA in first loaded up a basket with all of the snack shop items (i.e. The tapas box, pringles, cheese package etc) and offered the basket to both of us 1K's in F. Then, she swept through the F cabin front to back with the "traditional" snack basket (as this was a 'light snack' flight.)

I thought that was quite nice actually. Really well done.

Enjoyed the hummus & pita chips.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Had a pretty tremendous experience yesterday, flying from IAH-COS on a CRJ-700. The FA in first loaded up a basket with all of the snack shop items (i.e. The tapas box, pringles, cheese package etc) and offered the basket to both of us 1K's in F. Then, she swept through the F cabin front to back with the "traditional" snack basket (as this was a 'light snack' flight.)

I thought that was quite nice actually. Really well done.

Enjoyed the hummus & pita chips.
Did everybody in F get the 1K treatment with the snack boxes and deluxe snack offerings? Or was it just you and the other 1K, and if so, what did the other F pax get when you got the deluxe snacking?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
What kind of treatment should I expect on a 3-hour haul (EWR-MIA)? Looks like I'm going to get stuck in the back, even though this was an easy CPU last year.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
What kind of treatment should I expect on a 3-hour haul (EWR-MIA)? Looks like I'm going to get stuck in the back, even though this was an easy CPU last year.
From dining section of onboard services at UA.com:

"Choice Menu Snack Shop offers snacks and snackboxes for purchase throughout the day in United Economy on most United mainline and United Express flights with a scheduled flight time over two hours. Choice Menu Bistro on Board offers freshly prepared meals available for purchase in United Economy on most United mainline flights with a scheduled flight time over 3.5 hours departing before 8 p.m."
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by transportprof
Did everybody in F get the 1K treatment with the snack boxes and deluxe snack offerings? Or was it just you and the other 1K, and if so, what did the other F pax get when you got the deluxe snacking?
No, it was only the 1K's that got offered the "first" basket with the snack shop items... Even gave us a little speech, something along the lines of "Thank you for being a 1K member. Your status entitles you to a complimentary snack from our Snack Shop; can I offer you an item from this basket?" After she got to all the 1K's, then she went back with the normal F basket front-to-back for all of the F pax.

It was nice as a 1K; not sure how it'd feel as a non-1K.

(ps - I'm using 1K to mean 1K/GS, but I don't think we had any GS onboard.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.