Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fezzington
Shouldn't be asking for a card. If you do get charged, file for a refund.
@Hipplewm is correct, the app shows us who's who. If you seat swap, things get fuzzier but it shouldn't be impossible to find. The new app that was just released out of beta makes things even easier (the old one required switching out of the sales app, to the info app, then back to sales to comp. The new one has the GS/1k info integrated in sales)

A question for you all though -- FAs are told it's strictly ONE Drink and ONE Choice item. No substitutions (i.e. 2 drinks and no box), and no doubles. Is this communicated to you as well, or is it (another) case of let's tell the FAs one policy and the Pax another?

I've seen plenty of pax ask for doubles or 2 of something and get upset when told we're not supposed to. I also see the discussion about the combo upthread, and I'll ask for clarification on that since I also assumed it wasn't allowed.
@fezzington funny you mention seat swap, was on a 764 and my seat was 6B (served by front galley), my son had 7B (served by aft galley) but we swapped, so FA came to my son and greeted him as Mr Hipple (he is a Jr, so same exact name as me) she clarified his name as he is only 18. Thanked him for being a 1K etc.... That is when he said, I think you mean that Mr Hipple and he pointed to me...

Back to question about doubling, I have never tried. I am generally grateful for what I am given and try to stay in the boundaries. My wife loves the Tapas box, so whenever we fly, I try and get one for her, but we don't drink, so it is easy, one box and we are done.

Along the same lines, we had a flight from CHS-IAD, leaving at 11am, landing at 1pm, they offered the boxes and a variety of what used to be the snack basket items to FC passengers. Is this going to be the norm for shorter flights? if so, this is a huge upgrade. wasn't sure if they didn't cater snack basket or this is the new norm??
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A question for you all though -- FAs are told it's strictly ONE Drink and ONE Choice item. No substitutions (i.e. 2 drinks and no box), and no doubles. Is this communicated to you as well, or is it (another) case of let's tell the FAs one policy and the Pax another? ....
I believe it should be pretty clearly understood by everyone, but of course you are going to encounter many GS/1K on board who either never heard of this option and don't bother asking for anything (probably the majority), FT folks from here who (should) know the actual policy as we have the post from UAInsider right in this thread's WIKI and have the correct expectation, or others who know of the policy but assume it has flexibility or can be tailored to their specific desires (obviously, it can't).

In a perfect world, UA would provide a laminated policy card with your catering service kit that can be handed to a customer or referenced by an unsure crew member and explains in short point form the actual policy so there is no misunderstanding from less experienced crew, and there is official material to show customers who are demanding something to which they are not entitled and avoids you getting into an unpleasant argument.

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with greeting each GS/1K as the cart goes through the cabin and say "hello Mr/Ms Smith, thank you so much for being a GS/1K member of MileagePlus, would you like a complimentary alcoholic beverage or a selection from our onboard food on your flight today?" I am not concerned what other non GS/1K think, nor should the crew, so there is no need for acrobatics will boarding passes, membership cards, or fake runs of credit cards...it's not like the rest of the passengers are going to riot over this.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with greeting each GS/1K as the cart goes through the cabin and say "hello Mr/Ms Smith, thank you so much for being a GS/1K member of MileagePlus, would you like a complimentary alcoholic beverage or a selection from our onboard food on your flight today?" I am not concerned what other non GS/1K think, nor should the crew, so there is no need for acrobatics will boarding passes, membership cards, or fake runs of credit cards...it's not like the rest of the passengers are going to riot over this.
Should it be and instead of or above? Some FAs have insisted that it's only one drink or one food item.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
complimentary alcoholic beverage AND a selection from our onboard food
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by transportprof
Should it be and instead of or above? Some FAs have insisted that it's only one drink or one food item.
Good catch, I mulched what I was trying to convey - meaning an alcoholic drink and food item (but not two of one or the other....too hard to write that).
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
@fezzington
Back to question about doubling, I have never tried. I am generally grateful for what I am given and try to stay in the boundaries. My wife loves the Tapas box, so whenever we fly, I try and get one for her, but we don't drink, so it is easy, one box and we are done.

Along the same lines, we had a flight from CHS-IAD, leaving at 11am, landing at 1pm, they offered the boxes and a variety of what used to be the snack basket items to FC passengers. Is this going to be the norm for shorter flights? if so, this is a huge upgrade. wasn't sure if they didn't cater snack basket or this is the new norm??
I've noticed an influx in people trying, hence why I asked. Thanks for keeping it easy for us though.

Without hijacking the thread, that's not the norm but some FAs will do it if there are boxes available. I personally won't include it in the basket but if someone asks, I do have the option to comp one for a premium cabin passenger -- though that option was added into the sales app, I'm not sure I ever saw official guidance on it.

I believe it should be pretty clearly understood by everyone, but of course you are going to encounter many GS/1K on board who either never heard of this option and don't bother asking for anything (probably the majority), FT folks from here who (should) know the actual policy as we have the post from UAInsider right in this thread's WIKI and have the correct expectation, or others who know of the policy but assume it has flexibility or can be tailored to their specific desires (obviously, it can't).

In a perfect world, UA would provide a laminated policy card with your catering service kit that can be handed to a customer or referenced by an unsure crew member and explains in short point form the actual policy so there is no misunderstanding from less experienced crew, and there is official material to show customers who are demanding something to which they are not entitled and avoids you getting into an unpleasant argument.

Gotcha. A card would be awesome, but given our inability to even get the printed menus in time for the new stuff July 1st, I'd be skeptical that we could keep those up to date. As far as greeting, that's fairly close to what I say, though to be honest, if it's my third or fourth flight of the day and I've got 6 GS/1K scattered in the back, I'm likely to miss one or two whilst pushing through with the carts. And as someone said, it's closer to "and/or".

Unfortunately, I have had kettles call me out on this (whilst on a BE fare in E+ ) so I can see why not everyone would want to do it.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Honestly, I don't much care if I get greeted or whatever. FA's got better things to do than to check the app every row to see if they will upset someones feeling by not greeting them as a 1K, GS etc. I realize your bosses and some passengers may not agree but cest la vie, I won't say anything.

I have never been asked for my card though, typically I see them look at the app, hand me what I asked for and say "Thanks for being a 1K"
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:14 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I've noticed an influx in people trying, hence why I asked. Thanks for keeping it easy for us though.

Without hijacking the thread, that's not the norm but some FAs will do it if there are boxes available. I personally won't include it in the basket but if someone asks, I do have the option to comp one for a premium cabin passenger -- though that option was added into the sales app, I'm not sure I ever saw official guidance on it.

Gotcha. A card would be awesome, but given our inability to even get the printed menus in time for the new stuff July 1st, I'd be skeptical that we could keep those up to date. As far as greeting, that's fairly close to what I say, though to be honest, if it's my third or fourth flight of the day and I've got 6 GS/1K scattered in the back, I'm likely to miss one or two whilst pushing through with the carts. And as someone said, it's closer to "and/or".

Unfortunately, I have had kettles call me out on this (whilst on a BE fare in E+ ) so I can see why not everyone would want to do it.

I have successfully declined the prepared meal and asked for a Y snack box instead sitting in domestic F a few times… oftentimes the hot food is so unappetizing it's a downgrade over the economy snack.

Regarding the drinks in Y, I usually order a double and no food. I'm not trying to get it for free, I have wads of drink chits ready to pay for the second one, though I'm very very rarely charged for it. I don't care much for eating mediocre airplane food, but I do like a drink and getting a double at the beginning is much easier than trying to ask for more later in a full plane.

One time, on an SFO-LAS flight, the wonderful FA came to me in the first row of economy, and after taking my drink order (a single Buffalo Trace & soda), returned with a first class glass and told me "I took the liberty of making you a double, hope that's alright!"

It's come down to my main issue being that I earn drink chits faster than I spend them—because the majority of the time the kind FAs will tell me to keep them and use them again later.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/Starwood Platinum Elite, National Executive Elite
I just keep my ticket out (paper) when they come around. Can only remember one time when the FA took it and went through the app to check.

On a positive note, was flying HNL->EWR on Tuesday and the FA gave my wife a premium bottle of red and I got a beer. I had the coupon out to take care of my beer and she said "You're 1K, don't worry about it". Was a nice way to end our honeymoon!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:37 pm

What did they say? Demand free food for themselves or complain it's unfair? I just don't see how it's any of their business.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
What did they say? Demand free food for themselves or complain it's unfair? I just don't see how it's any of their business.
Something along the lines of having paid the same price for the same service and they're tired of being treated like a second class passenger and they were going to write and complain about me. It was right after the Dao incident/one of the first BE flights I had seen. I imagine they were looking for a quick buck and a free meal.

Another time it was claimed to be a racial thing, but I won't get into that one.

And while you're right, it's not their business, unfortunately the reality on the plane is that every interaction FAs have with passengers is under a microscope from other passengers-- which makes staying discreet difficult
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
they're tired of being treated like a second class passenger
I can definitely see someone uttering this and the irony going completely over their head
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:38 pm

Something along the lines of having paid the same price for the same service and they're tired of being treated like a second class passenger and they were going to write and complain about me. It was right after the Dao incident/one of the first BE flights I had seen. I imagine they were looking for a quick buck and a free meal.

Another time it was claimed to be a racial thing, but I won't get into that one.

And while you're right, it's not their business, unfortunately the reality on the plane is that every interaction FAs have with passengers is under a microscope from other passengers-- which makes staying discreet difficult
I would hope if they wrote in and you received a service inquiry, the short answer is the passenger was complaining about the 1k complimentary snack and made a fuss because they can't have one too - I see absolutely no valid reason for the company to ding you for this interaction. If I was in your shoes, I know exactly what I would have said to shut them up, with a smile of course.

People still fail to realize that while God created all men to be equal, the Bible says nothing about customers being equal....and thus customers are rarely, if ever, equal. When I fly UA as a 1K I have my expectations based on the products and services I should receive and could care less what the Kettles think about it, and when I fly another airline as a non-status nobody, I know my place in the pecking order and don't make a fuss when I see other airline Elites receive benefits to which I am not entitled.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eisejm
I just keep my ticket out (paper) when they come around. Can only remember one time when the FA took it and went through the app to check.

On a positive note, was flying HNL->EWR on Tuesday and the FA gave my wife a premium bottle of red and I got a beer. I had the coupon out to take care of my beer and she said "You're 1K, don't worry about it". Was a nice way to end our honeymoon!
I thought the premium wines were exempt from the free drinks for 1K/GS, and from the chits too?

Congrats on the honeymoon, btw!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Honestly, I don't much care if I get greeted or whatever. FA's got better things to do than to check the app every row to see if they will upset someones feeling by not greeting them as a 1K, GS etc.
This does not seem to be problem on the better airlines,more a lack of discipline in following an SOP at UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.