Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
This is really good news but honestly it's what they should have done in the first place. How much can one snack cost and people are probably flying the international routes in economy a lot less than domestic anyways.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by VWang1111
This is really good news but honestly it's what they should have done in the first place. How much can one snack cost and people are probably flying the international routes in economy a lot less than domestic anyways.
And if they are traveling in Y internationally, it's highly likely that they bought a W fare and the GPU failed.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I don't get a proactive offer very often. I just ask for what I want. Sometimes the FA says "1K?" Sometimes she asks for a credit card and I just say "I'm 1K" and she says "OK and moves on"
Very simple. The only issue is that I either sit in Row 7 bulkhead or Row 21 exit row. If in Row 7, the drink cart comes first and the snack cart after sometimes much later. Sometimes they serve me my drink and forget to come back to ask about a snack. I have therefore become very proactive and ask for what I want at the same time I tell them my drink order.

If in Row 21, the issue is that they often run out of what I want.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
I don't get a proactive offer very often. I just ask for what I want. Sometimes the FA says "1K?" Sometimes she asks for a credit card and I just say "I'm 1K" and she says "OK and moves on"
Very simple. The only issue is that I either sit in Row 7 bulkhead or Row 21 exit row. If in Row 7, the drink cart comes first and the snack cart after sometimes much later. Sometimes they serve me my drink and forget to come back to ask about a snack. I have therefore become very proactive and ask for what I want at the same time I tell them my drink order.

If in Row 21, the issue is that they often run out of what I want.
I now just show them my ticket with 1K on it and that does it. I have of course had them charge (on occasion) for a double or a second round. Sometime if l know the flight crew they will throw a freebie at me after round one.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by VWang1111
Forgive my ignorance, but is there non-free food in Y on Polaris marketed routes?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by findark
Forgive my ignorance, but is there non-free food in Y on Polaris marketed routes?
Yes — UA sells BOB on the ULH flights to Australia/NZ and the nonstop(s) to SIN.

(Although some parts of the website seem to also imply that you can get BOB on flights to the rest of Asia as well: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...my/dining.aspx)
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by truncated
Yes — UA sells BOB on the ULH flights to Australia/NZ and the nonstop(s) to SIN.

(Although some parts of the website seem to also imply that you can get BOB on flights to the rest of Asia as well: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...my/dining.aspx)
Where, you I think mean: BOB = "Bistro on Board".

That being said, the food served in Y for ULH/International is simply airplane food - food trays with meals heated from the galley. This is not the Bistro on Board where you can purchase cheeseburgers, earlier made sandwiches from ground catering. What's actually sold is the "Snack Shop" of Snackboxes (Tapas, Classic, Select, Kids) and bags o' snacks.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...nomy/menu.aspx

David
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by DELee
Where, you I think mean: BOB = "Bistro on Board".

That being said, the food served in Y for ULH/International is simply airplane food - food trays with meals heated from the galley. This is not the Bistro on Board where you can purchase cheeseburgers, earlier made sandwiches from ground catering. What's actually sold is the "Snack Shop" of Snackboxes (Tapas, Classic, Select, Kids) and bags o' snacks.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...nomy/menu.aspx

David
Nah I've probably spent too much time on the BA forum — where BOB = "buy on board" and was using it in that sense. Was referencing the snackboxes not the burger and whatnot.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by truncated
Nah I've probably spent too much time on the BA forum — where BOB = "buy on board" and was using it in that sense. Was referencing the snackboxes not the burger and whatnot.
Ah. Got it. Thanks!

David
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No mai tai?

I just tried to get a mai tai on my flight back from the islands. The FA looked me up on the phone and tried to comp it, but 'the system' declined me. After some conference with the other FA, she decided to just give it to me and forget about logging it.

One off technology fail? Or are mai tai's supposed to be exempted from the 'free'? I think while consulting the other FA, she said she'd already comp'd one of the mai tai's for another passenger but didn't hear clearly.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by fumje
I just tried to get a mai tai on my flight back from the islands. The FA looked me up on the phone and tried to comp it, but 'the system' declined me. After some conference with the other FA, she decided to just give it to me and forget about logging it.

One off technology fail? Or are mai tai's supposed to be exempted from the 'free'? I think while consulting the other FA, she said she'd already comp'd one of the mai tai's for another passenger but didn't hear clearly.
Same thing happened to a 1K seat mate a month ago. They also comped off book on that occasion.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:02 am

What food item should 1K ask for?

So I’m finally a 1K and really looking forward to embracing the disappointment of bad service, slightly higher upgrade list
misses, and continually redeposited RPU and GPUs.

BUT.....On the plus side I do get a free drink and food item to drown my sorrows.

im taking morning flights between ORD and EWR, what is my best food choice? Is the flight too short for any Bistro sandwiches? Should I just pocket a Moscow mule and a snack box? I’m looking to maximize this one benefit I’ll actually receive! 😂

Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Not sure there is a universal answer to this. Peruse the hemisphere magazine back pages and just choose something that will hit the spot.

Typically, the FAs will open any drinks, so "pocketing" a Moscow mule is not practical.

Congrats on hitting 1K.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by BeeeJay
So I’m finally a 1K and really looking forward to embracing the disappointment of bad service, slightly higher upgrade list
misses, and continually redeposited RPU and GPUs.

BUT.....On the plus side I do get a free drink and food item to drown my sorrows.

im taking morning flights between ORD and EWR, what is my best food choice? Is the flight too short for any Bistro sandwiches? Should I just pocket a Moscow mule and a snack box? I’m looking to maximize this one benefit I’ll actually receive! 😂

Thanks!
I'm not sure that route specifically but the short flights are usually just snacks and light on food options, so unlikely a bistro sandwich.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
I suggest ordering whatever you want to eat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.