Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:18 pm

I got the message to pre-order food and drink on an upcoming flight. I went to the link and it shows the price of each item in the menu as well as in the cart. In checkout, it still shows the price of the items like it will charge my card. Will they just not charge it, or reverse the charges? Or is it better to just wait until I'm on the flight? I'm a newbie so don't quite know what is the best way to proceed.
Old May 9, 2022, 7:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I got the Asiago bagel on EWR-LAX. Pretty greasy and cold but hey...free.
Old May 9, 2022, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CMK10

I got the Asiago bagel on EWR-LAX. Pretty greasy and cold but hey...free.
I had one last week from ORD-LAX and mine was hot and toasty:

Old May 9, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Had the same on LAX-EWR. Was in the first row and FA neglected to offer. Just asked if we wanted the cookie or stroopwafel. Later, a few of us asked at the same time and she said "we already came by with food". However, when we all disagreed at the same time, she did go back and get our food. I keep forgetting to be proactive when sitting near the front.

Originally Posted by CMK10
Flew SBP-SFO yesterday on a CRJ-200. The FA came around with Biscoff for everyone. She asked me if I wanted something to drink and addressed me by name. I was the only person on the plane to get a drink. This was a nice touch.
I get this pretty often on ORD-MKE. Sometimes, (in the past) I'd even be offered a snack box.
Old May 9, 2022, 6:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
Had the same on LAX-EWR. Was in the first row and FA neglected to offer. Just asked if we wanted the cookie or stroopwafel. Later, a few of us asked at the same time and she said "we already came by with food". However, when we all disagreed at the same time, she did go back and get our food. I keep forgetting to be proactive when sitting near the front.

I get this pretty often on ORD-MKE. Sometimes, (in the past) I'd even be offered a snack box.
If you’re on Air Wisconsin, they are by far the best at recognizing loyalty. As much as I hate the CRJ-200, their flight crews are almost always phenomenal.

Also agree about being in the front - recently had to ring the call bell after I realized the FA wasn’t going to see if anyone wanted to buy something since the snack cart started a bit farther back.
Old May 9, 2022, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lilpisher
Also agree about being in the front - recently had to ring the call bell after I realized the FA wasn’t going to see if anyone wanted to buy something since the snack cart started a bit farther back.
Yes it's a systematic issue!

I usually sit in the exit row in a narrowbody so don't have this issue, but in widebodies (especially on flights where there are PP seats sold as E+) I do sit in the front and you have to be proactive to get food.
Old May 9, 2022, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I haven't experienced this since BoB started up again, but pre-pandemic, there were times the breakfast sandwich or burger would be depleted just a couple of rows into E+. I don't see any point in sitting further back than the first aisle or window seat available at time of booking. Only exception to my rule is if a mid-cabin lav is present (757, some 737s) - then back away a little.
Old May 9, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Doppy
Yes it's a systematic issue!

I usually sit in the exit row in a narrowbody so don't have this issue, but in widebodies (especially on flights where there are PP seats sold as E+) I do sit in the front and you have to be proactive to get food.
My goto seat is row 7, except on a 739/39M where I chose row 21 because of the lav. The issue with row 21 is them running out of the item you want.
Sitting in row 7, if you're proactive, the FA sometimes gets annoyed and says something like "hold your horses, the food cart is on its way!", if I'm not, I risk them forgetting.
Old May 9, 2022, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by eng3
My goto seat is row 7, except on a 739/39M where I chose row 21 because of the lav. The issue with row 21 is them running out of the item you want.
Sitting in row 7, if you're proactive, the FA sometimes gets annoyed and says something like "hold your horses, the food cart is on its way!", if I'm not, I risk them forgetting.
Try being a 1K in row 39/40 or 45 on a 772 or 773 or 42 on a 787. I'll sometimes go back to the aft galley prior to departure to basically raise my hand and ask a) if fresh fare has been catered and b) if I can request a (something) ahead so they know there's a hungry 1K in those exit rows.

David
Old May 9, 2022, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Try being a 1K in row 39/40 or 45 on a 772 or 773 or 42 on a 787. I'll sometimes go back to the aft galley prior to departure to basically raise my hand and ask a) if fresh fare has been catered and b) if I can request a (something) ahead so they know there's a hungry 1K in those exit rows.

David
I do the same. Otherwise it is snack box only.
Old May 9, 2022, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

David
After everyone's boarded or early (and then have to swim back to your seat against the flow)?
Old May 9, 2022, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
After everyone's boarded or early (and then have to swim back to your seat against the flow)?
Gotta use your 1K pre-board, stash your bag (since its an exit row and nowhere to stow at feet), and go back to the galley to ask. Minimal other passenger traffic at that point.

David

p.s. Other issue sitting in those seats is folks trying to open the lav bifold doors during the flight by pulling or opening (if installed) the cigarette ashtray.
Old May 9, 2022, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gotta use your 1K pre-board, stash your bag (since its an exit row and nowhere to stow at feet), and go back to the galley to ask. Minimal other passenger traffic at that point.

David

p.s. Other issue sitting in those seats is folks trying to open the lav bifold doors during the flight by pulling or opening (if installed) the cigarette ashtray.
I ask after takeoff, before the service begins. Sometimes I will write a note and hand it to FA.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread is
Complimentary Food & Beverage for Global Services & 1K Members when Seated in Economy

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 24, 2024 at 3:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.