Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by DELee
You can always ask for a box when sitting in front. Whether catering provided some for shorter flights, the FAs can always tell you.

David
Yeah, my wife got one recently in F. A bit odd situation - a heavily delayed flight in the afternoon had been catered for breakfast, and she really wans't interested in that. But didn't seem to be an issue for the FAs.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
What is the polite way of saying that you are a 1k when getting free snack and drink in eco? I always feel very awkward when they ask for money just saying "oh, I'm a 1k"...
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A Little Cow
What is the polite way of saying that you are a 1k when getting free snack and drink in eco? I always feel very awkward when they ask for money just saying "oh, I'm a 1k"...
I haven't had to say anything about it in over a year. I just don't offer payment, they check their phone, confirm my identity, and it's done.

If they did ask, that means they're ignoring something that's right in front of them, and I wouldn't feel awkward about saying "I'm a 1K" at all.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by A Little Cow
"ummm, I'm a 1K, I don't pay"

not sure why you feel awkward
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jsloan
I haven't had to say anything about it in over a year. I just don't offer payment, they check their phone, confirm my identity, and it's done.

If they did ask, that means they're ignoring something that's right in front of them, and I wouldn't feel awkward about saying "I'm a 1K" at all.
The only time I've been questioned is if I've switched seats with a family member so their phone doesn't show them. Once you know to order like a boss, just do it and let them sort it out. Usually they beat me to the "it should be free".
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
The only time I've been questioned is if I've switched seats with a family member so their phone doesn't show them. Once you know to order like a boss, just do it and let them sort it out. Usually they beat me to the "it should be free".
The only time I have to identify myself as a 1K is if I've accommodated another passenger in a seat swap.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Recently, on a flight to OGG from Denver, I asked for the tapas box and a glass of red wine. FA says "credit card". I say; "I am 1K". She says: "There are no 1Ks in the economy cabin". SO I pull out my paper boarding pass and hand it to her. She says: "Wow, it says your 1k". And heads off to first to get a knowledgable person to say grace over my boarding pass. She took it with her.

She comes back and harrumphs at me, and gives me the tapas box and a glass of wine. I mean really; what a scene. But I have no reluctance to ask for the free stuff.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by denver19
She says: "There are no 1Ks in the economy cabin".
If only that is true. My last 2 Hawaii flights (SFO), F were fully booked no one got upgraded.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:54 pm

Anecdotally, my issues getting a drink as 1K are always mainline - never on the regional.

I've been really fortunate to have outstanding service on the puddle jumpers last few years.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
Anecdotally, my issues getting a drink as 1K are always mainline - never on the regional.

I've been really fortunate to have outstanding service on the puddle jumpers last few years.
Except when they keep the screwcap on the liquor minis!! My wife likes to have a snort at her bridge game and book club. So, in order to prevent this killjoy move, i travel with a few screwcaps
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manstein58
Except when they keep the screwcap on the liquor minis!! My wife likes to have a snort at her bridge game and book club. So, in order to prevent this killjoy move, i travel with a few screwcaps
Clever. Do you bring a funnel and a spare for when they won't even give you the bottle?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:38 pm

I like those FAs who proactively offer complimentary food and acknowledges your business. You know you have a great FA when they look at their phone prior to your row, sees that you're 1K and greets you with "Mr. ________, thank you for your loyalty. May I get you something off the menu?" Sadly, this happens more on regional flights than mainline... so you know which airline is doing it right...(not UA).
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by fumje
Clever. Do you bring a funnel and a spare for when they won't even give you the bottle?
Not permitted these COVID-19 days
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by denver19
Recently, on a flight to OGG from Denver.... She says: "There are no 1Ks in the economy cabin".
There are so many ridiculously low BE fares to/from Denver, as well as transcons, in the new Coronovirus age, that this is simply not true. My flight the other day was on BE, I was joined by many 1ks who were getting free food & alcohol.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by npei
There are so many ridiculously low BE fares to/from Denver, as well as transcons, in the new Coronovirus age, that this is simply not true. My flight the other day was on BE, I was joined by many 1ks who were getting free food & alcohol.
The 1K benefit does not depend upon what tickets you hold. As long as you sit on your own seat, you do not have to explain anything to get the benefit. Sometimes, I was not in any mood to get the drink or snack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.