Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MTJTraveller
Hmmm, I did purchase the ticket with my Club Card. XXX-DEN-IAH-SJU should show some CPU eligible I'm supposing. I need to call to change my flight times to earlier as my connecting time in DEN has changed. I can ask then.
Did the miles come from your account? There have some issues if not.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2014-16-a.html

Are you the primary cardholder?

Originally Posted by MTJTraveller
21+days out I can change award flights if there is availability online without fee, no change in ticket other than times, right? ...
If booked before Oct 6, 2016 -- yes. If after, the window is now 60 days.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-changes.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 5, 2017 at 8:31 pm
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Hello everyone,
Newbie question, please excuse my lack of familiarity with Silver benefits. I status matched, and will be traveling for the first time on Thursday with my Silver status. It will be my husband, my infant daughter, and myself on one confirmation number. We are flying on Mileage award tickets. We are going from LAX-LIH. Right now, there are about 15 economy plus seats open, and about 15 regular economy seats open.
Since I will only get access to economy plus seats for myself and one guest, I'm pretty much out of luck, right? My daughter is under 2, but I am using miles for a seat for her because she will sit in her carseat on the flight. My husband would kill me if I left him in economy with the baby and stretched my legs up in economy plus
I get access to the economy plus seats at the 24 hour online check-in mark, right? Am I able to just buy an economy plus seat for third member in my group during online check-in?
Thanks for any helpful tips!
Ashley
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by ashley1245
I get access to the economy plus seats at the 24 hour online check-in mark, right? Am I able to just buy an economy plus seat for third member in my group during online check-in?
Thanks for any helpful tips!
Ashley
Yes, you can. However, there's no harm in moving you and your daughter into E+ at the 24h mark and then being extremely gracious to the Gate Agent while explaining your situation before boarding. 7.5 or 8 x out of 10, they'll move your husband up as a favor. All they can do is say no and you can roll the dice that the paid E+ is open to move your husband next to you...

On a Thursday to LIH, I'd give it a go, but my risk aversion threshold is low...

Edited to add: If you do roll the dice, pick an aisle/window so that the middle hopefully remains unassigned. Assuming you're on #1227, Row 15 is the only option for this w/carseat and it does have limited recline due to exit row behind you...
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Yes, you can. However, there's no harm in moving you and your daughter into E+ at the 24h mark and then being extremely gracious to the Gate Agent while explaining your situation before boarding. 7.5 or 8 x out of 10, they'll move your husband up as a favor. All they can do is say no and you can roll the dice that the paid E+ is open to move your husband next to you...

On a Thursday to LIH, I'd give it a go, but my risk aversion threshold is low...

Edited to add: If you do roll the dice, pick an aisle/window so that the middle hopefully remains unassigned. Assuming you're on #1227, Row 15 is the only option for this w/carseat and it does have limited recline due to exit row behind you...
Thank you NoLa! Very, very helpful! Fingers crossed!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Upgraded on an Award Ticket!

I had an unexpected experience last week DEN-DSM. I was on an award ticket with my wife. Because I'm a cardholder, I technically had a chance for an upgrade, but I had zero expectation of getting one.

The key, however, was that I was traveling on a Wednesday morning to a non-hub airport. I was indeed upgraded! The only disappointment there was that because it was an award ticket, my wife was not eligible for an upgrade (the plane went out with one empty F seat).

I traded seats with my wife, and so she got the F seat, and I had a nice exit-row seat with the row to myself. I was perfectly happy. What was even nicer was that the FA found out that I had given my seat to my wife, and went out of her way to treat me really well. They even gave me a free snack box.

Overall a great flight for me - and it was definitely worth trading seats. It made everyone happy.

I learned to never say never. I never thought I'd be upgraded as a Silver on an award ticket. By the way, on the return flight I ended up #1 on the wait list for upgrades.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:42 pm

I got an upgrade email for my red eye flight from LAX to chicago tonight twelve hours out. Still at least 10 seats open in F.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
A friend of me got upgraded from an el-cheapo ticket (G-fare) in Economy Plus to Business Class.
Flight was international and operated by a Chicago-based longhaul Boeing 777-200ER.
He was a lonely MP Silver member. He could only select Economy Plus at check-in. My friend noticed the upgrade about one hour before the flight, because he noticed on the United app that his seat was changed to Business. There was no active request from him. At the gate he received the Business Class boarding pass (a window seat / forward facing). His sequence number was 1.
I thought Silvers could only get CPUs on domestic routes and not international ones? What is the difference between this and an op-up (why do those happen)?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:22 am

Business is short-haul international (Canada, Central America, Caribbean), which is eligible for CPUs. Polaris (and previously BusinessFirst) is long-haul international and is not eligible for CPUs. If it was a Polaris/BusinessFirst flight as aacharya previously mentioned it's a rare op-up.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Southwest RapidRewards
Super stoked - I got my first United Elite CPU ever - and as a Silver nonetheless..

Took a $75 option to do a T-24 change to an earlier flight SYR-> ORD.

Did not have a confirmed seat when I arrived at the airport and my name was not on the upgrade list on my phone. When I got to the gate, not only do I see my name on the list, but I see my name with a check mark by it and a seat assignment! There were also other elites that did not clear, as well as the flight is overbooked.

I'm sure it's got something to do with the fact that I did a same day change - but either way, excited to be flying up front on the CPU.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 4:25 pm

Question: If i hit United Silver with Marriott Plat this year, do my current PQMs stack on top of the minimum 25,000 needed for Silver?

So if I have like 8,000 PQM right now, will I have 33,000 and be on my way to gold?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingP3nguin
Question: If i hit United Silver with Marriott Plat this year, do my current PQMs stack on top of the minimum 25,000 needed for Silver?

So if I have like 8,000 PQM right now, will I have 33,000 and be on my way to gold?
No, you’d have to earn all 50,000 PQMs...
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingP3nguin

A simple way to think about PQM's. Your butt has to be in the seat to earn them.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:28 pm

I have only been Silver for one flight, but I am now 1-for-1 on CPU's. Based on this thread, I think this is incredibly rare, and I certainly won't expect it in the future. But what a nice way to start Silver status

For data point's sake, it was a Friday night ORD-LGA - there were 11 on the list, I was #9, and 9 cleared. I had already boarded in an exit row aisle seat, and the gate agent came on and moved me up right before the door closed. What a pleasant surprise... So for others that have Silver, there is hope!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:47 pm

I got the upgrade on my first flight of the year last week. Late morning flight IAH-MEM.
Ended up #1 on the list coming home. I would have made it that time, too, but there was one seat blocked. An employee, I assume.
So, very near 2 for 2 for the season.

In 2016 I was up front at least 10 times out of about 26 flights. Mostly out of IAH, MCO, ATL and even once out of SFO on a 787. It was a good year.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by dukesantos
A simple way to think about PQM's. Your butt has to be in the seat to earn them.
not true. Premier Accelerator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.