Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I scored CPU both directions this past weekend DEN-SLC. My wife (no status, but traveling with me) got the upgrade on the way out, but not on the way back. But she had window exit row, and chose not to trade with me. Overall - nice to get the unexpected upgrades!
Old Oct 5, 2016, 4:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
RDU-ORD-RDU this week.

- Tuesday RDU-ORD: #25/26 on the upgrade list, a new low! Got 21A on the 737-800 though after I declined the insulting $179 upgrade offer.

- Wednesday ORD-RDU: Originally upgraded at the Silver window, then the plane was downguaged from an E75 to an E70 so myself and two others were kicked back to Y. Ended up in 7D which was fine.

Guess I'm now either 2/7 or 1/7 on upgrades this year depending how you look at it.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CMK10

- Wednesday ORD-RDU: Originally upgraded at the Silver window, then the plane was downgauged from an E75 to an E70 so myself and two others were kicked back to Y. Ended up in 7D which was fine.
Did you get downgrade compensation?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
At the gate, I understand more than over the phone. As Silver gets a companion into E+, as long as you were within 24 hours, that should have been fine.

Can you in the future book your wife and you together and then split (in case of work accounting)?
My wife reservation is always an award ticket while mine is a revenue one. That's why it is impossible for us to have one PNR.

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Are you certain that there were E+ seats available?
Yes.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
Did you get downgrade compensation?
Seems to have.
I went to the gate this morning and asked about compensation. The gate agent told me "you got upgraded for free, you are entitled to nothing". I pressed her on this point and she claimed everyone in First was on a paid F fare. I showed her where the UA app said four people were upgraded. She still refused to help. I then spoke to a service director who eventually did issue the voucher but told me the policy was silly and made no sense. Poor showing by United this morning.
Appropriately so.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
BNA-IAD-CLT this Tuesday. Got 7D (bulkhead on the CR7/E75) at T-24 for both flights. On IAD-CLT I was #2 for 2 seats on the upgrade list and the two seats were sold out from me and the #1 person on the list. That was sad
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:07 pm

BNA-IAD-CLT this Tuesday. Got 7D (bulkhead on the CR7/E75) at T-24 for both flights. On IAD-CLT I was #2 for 2 seats on the upgrade list and the two seats were sold out from me and the #1 person on the list. That was sad
I assume you mean that someone paid for, or used miles to upgrade shortly before departure. How can you know that for sure? Maybe someone with high status booked the flight at the last minute. Or someone with high status was on the standby list, made the flight and then got the upgrade. A high status reroute?

Or... maybe someone, indeed, popped the hundred bucks for the upgrade when they check in at the airport. It happens. (Don't ask me how I know}

But I understand the frustration. I've sat #1 on the upgrade list before and a guy on the standby list got cleared right before departure and got the last FC seat. Bummer!
Old Nov 6, 2016, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
I assume you mean that someone paid for, or used miles to upgrade shortly before departure. How can you know that for sure? Maybe someone with high status booked the flight at the last minute. Or someone with high status was on the standby list, made the flight and then got the upgrade. A high status reroute?

Or... maybe someone, indeed, popped the hundred bucks for the upgrade when they check in at the airport. It happens. (Don't ask me how I know}

But I understand the frustration. I've sat #1 on the upgrade list before and a guy on the standby list got cleared right before departure and got the last FC seat. Bummer!
I don't know it for sure, but I was watching the upgrade list closely as well as E+ (which I was the sole person in) so I think the best scneario is that two people took buyups. If they had higher status, they'd be shown on the upgrade list with the seat assignment, they didn't.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 4:46 pm

I don't know it for sure, but I was watching the upgrade list closely as well as E+ (which I was the sole person in) so I think the best scneario is that two people took buyups. If they had higher status, they'd be shown on the upgrade list with the seat assignment, they didn't.
Roger that. That's a good clue.

I once negotiated an upgrade as part of a VDB. I gave up my seat on an afternoon flight for $500 bucks, hotel and meals, and FC on the red eye the next morning, which I already knew was wide open. Lots of FC seats open and virtually no one in E+. Went out with two empties in FC.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Now up to 5 out of 12 for CPUs since turning Silver.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:48 pm

I got a CPU on ORD-LGA a couple Fridays ago. I think I was the only silver to clear. Cleared almost immediately after checking at T-24 (I figured I had good odds given that E+ was wide open in the days before checking, indicating very few golds or higher).
Old Nov 6, 2016, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
SDCs, reroutes due to IRROPS, and last minute tickets also happen (and are not upgrades).
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Denied again

I was in the 20's on the waitlist on both of my segments today (MCO-IAH, IAH-PHX).

0-6 since the end of September.

Should I book on the first flight of the day?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by dukesantos
I was in the 20's on the waitlist on both of my segments today (MCO-IAH, IAH-PHX).

0-6 since the end of September.

Should I book on the first flight of the day?
Your chances as a silver are extremely low. I wouldn't bet on a CPU and I wouldn't inconvenience myself by booking flights just to clear a CPU.

Although early morning flights may increase your chances, why not just settle for a good E+ seat. And if you happen to get a CPU, well, surprise and delight. As a Gold, my CPU rate was extremely extremely low, as a 1K it's improved, but with the average waitlist that I've seen always around 50-60 passengers deep, why hold out for one?

Just take the flight that works best for your schedule. And get that E+ seat at T-24.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Just take the flight that works best for your schedule. And get that E+ seat at T-24.
Agreed. E+ is the benefit that I really desire, so, I usually have a good flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.