Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
I was a silver last year. I flew UA internationally a half dozen times and never failed to get Economy Plus on long haul flights. Good luck if you're trying a heavy business route like IAH-YYC (medium hauls were sometimes difficult). The trick is that you must check in right at 24 hours prior to departure because others will be trying the same thing. I also pretty much flew cheapest possible fare in coach on those international segments. Which usually puts you on flights with lower numbers of elites. No guarantees, but unless you're exceedingly unlucky, there's a good chance.
I pretty much have always got E+ on my trips between US and Europe. I'm Silver, also.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: UAL Silver Hilton Diamond Hyatt Plat
I'm kind of excited as I achieved Silver purely on leisure travel, no business travel for me. This most likely will be my one and only year to have Silver and I'm ok with that. I will like the E+ seating.

I have a few flights booked for this year and have a few questions;
1) flying out of my regional airport, will I be able to pick my E+ seats for connecting flights at checkin? This is also true for one companion on same Reservation?

2) I'm confused about the upgrade list as I have never been on it before. Let's say there are 10 silvers on the list, who clears first? How is that determined? Checkin time?

3) do you keep an eye on the upgrade list at the gate for how long? I know they post that it's full at one point, but I read of people not being upgraded and seats in first going out empty. How does this work? What should I be watching?

4) travelling with my no-status husband, I understand I can clear (I know, I know, don't hold my breath but my husband may not. Will he be listed on the upgrade list right below me or are companions upgraded after other priority passengers. Again, I'm a bit confused about the order of clearing

5) can I pick E+ seats on award tickets as well at checkin? Do award tickets also put me on the upgrade list? I know not internationally, but I have an award ticket to San Juan PR and it does not say CPU eligible on the reservation.

Thanks so much for answering my questions. I'm looking forward to utilising my silver benefits as much as possible...every little bit helps! Lol
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
After almost three years as a UA silver, I received my first ever upgrade on yesterday's 1020pm IAD YYZ flight. Flight flew with 4 open seats in FC... but I'll take it!

Besides that, I'm 100% with e+ upgrades, which is notable in that as a platinum on delta, I can get comfort+ at purchase ("with upgrade space available") available and I've managed to not be 100% on C+. Fortunately, my first class upgrade rate as a platinum from NYC is better than a lot of 1ks on united, so I'll take the good and the bad.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MTJTraveller
I'm kind of excited as I achieved Silver purely on leisure travel, no business travel for me. This most likely will be my one and only year to have Silver and I'm ok with that. I will like the E+ seating.

1) flying out of my regional airport, will I be able to pick my E+ seats for connecting flights at checkin? This is also true for one companion on same Reservation?

2) I'm confused about the upgrade list as I have never been on it before. Let's say there are 10 silvers on the list, who clears first? How is that determined? Checkin time?

3) do you keep an eye on the upgrade list at the gate for how long? I know they post that it's full at one point, but I read of people not being upgraded and seats in first going out empty. How does this work? What should I be watching?

4) travelling with my no-status husband, I understand I can clear (I know, I know, don't hold my breath but my husband may not. Will he be listed on the upgrade list right below me or are companions upgraded after other priority passengers. Again, I'm a bit confused about the order of clearing

5) can I pick E+ seats on award tickets as well at checkin? Do award tickets also put me on the upgrade list? I know not internationally, but I have an award ticket to San Juan PR and it does not say CPU eligible on the reservation.

Thanks so much for answering my questions. I'm looking forward to utilising my silver benefits as much as possible...every little bit helps! Lol
Others may be able to answer more definitively, but based on my personal experience, etc.:

1) Yes, you can pick connecting flight E+ seats at check-in, including companion on same PNR

2) If multiple silvers are on the upgrade list, the priority is first based on your fare class. There is at least one thread here that you can reference for the priority here. I think check-in time comes into effect, but it comes after fare class. I've been upgraded a few times as a silver, and sometimes because of a rebook into a better fare class because of IRROPS.

3) Keep an eye on the upgrade list. I've been upgraded a couple of times where I saw that I was #1 on the list and they were starting to board. Instead of waiting for them to call me, I went to the desk and pointed out that I was next on the list. They get busy, and sometimes being proactive is a good idea. Again, don't expect upgrades as a silver, but occasionally it's a nice surprise.

4) I did get upgraded once along with my non-status wife. But other times, it has been just me. I do the right thing and give her my seat.

5) You can get E+ seats on award reservations as well. As far as upgrades, I believe you have to be a United Credit Card holder for this to be true. Even if you are, however, don't hold your breath on this one. Award reservations are prioritized below all other fare classes (I believe).
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I status matched into Silver this past summer; I'll lose it on JAN 31, but may get it back later this year. Ultimately, I've found it a "nice to have" but not hugely consequential.

+ I fly out of SFO so needless to say, upgrades are never going to happen. There are usually 40-50 people on the upgrade list, and I'm near the end.

+ Boarding Group 2 is a decent benefit, as you can usually get overhead space. Absent Silver, I'd be in BG 3 via credit card. Out of SFO it seems 90% of the plane is in BG 2 or 3, so while 3 is better than 5, there's no guarantee of overhead space depending on how soon you line up.

+ Free checked bag is nice, but I'd get it anyway via credit card. Would be nice if UA offered a second free checked bag for Silvers who also have a credit card. Priority Baggage is a minor benefit but it saves a bit of time sometimes.

+ E+ is a benefit for some but not for me as I already have an E+ subscription. I want to be certain of having an E+ aisle seat so I can work and move around, so E+ at check-in doesn't cut it, especially on the routes I fly (lots of SFO-IAD), I need E+ at booking.

+ I've not had to use it, but Silver is almost certainly way better than nothing during IRROPS.

So overall -- it's pretty borderline. I'd like to keep the status, but am not sweating losing it. If I'm ever in a position with work travel to be certain I'll hit Silver every year, I'd probably drop the Explorer Card and save the $95 per year (Sapphire Reserve earns me more miles per dollar anyway).
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
A friend of me got upgraded from an el-cheapo ticket (G-fare) in Economy Plus to Business Class.
Flight was international and operated by a Chicago-based longhaul Boeing 777-200ER.
He was a lonely MP Silver member. He could only select Economy Plus at check-in. My friend noticed the upgrade about one hour before the flight, because he noticed on the United app that his seat was changed to Business. There was no active request from him. At the gate he received the Business Class boarding pass (a window seat / forward facing). His sequence number was 1.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

1) Yes you'll be able to pick E+ for all flights at check-in for you and other companion on your reservation as long as your first flight is on UA or UAx metal.

2) Upgrade list is first prioritized by fare class but check-in time has historically been a tie-breaker. You'll want to check-in at T-24 anyway to ensure you have maximum E+ opportunities anyway so they go hand in hand

3) Upgrades won't go out empty anymore unless you have a GA who isn't doing his/her job. Even if you board you don't lose your spot on the upgrade list (it's not like DL where you board you lose). If you get upgraded after boarding the GA is supposed to come on board and give you a new ticket. If you are #1 on the upgrade list, a seat is open, and the door is about to close, refresh your app and see if it processed and updated your mobile boarding pass

4) If traveling with your husband you will be given the option at check-in to either split the reservation or not. If you split the reservation he will be directly after you on the upgrade list but if only 1 seat is left you will clear, he won't. If you don't split the reservation and there is only 1 seat left, it will consider you a party of two and skip you to the next party of 1.

5) Yes you can pick E+ at check-in for award seats. No it doesn't put you on the CPU list on award flights unless you have UA MP Credit Card.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by warakorn
A friend of me got upgraded from an el-cheapo ticket (G-fare) in Economy Plus to Business Class.
Flight was international and operated by a Chicago-based Boeing 777-200ER.
He was a lonely MP Silver member. My friend noticed the upgrade about one hour before the flight, because he noticed on the United app that his seat was changed to Business. There was no active request from him. His sequence number was 1.
An op-up for a Silver is rare indeed. In my entire flying life, one op-up ever, and of course, it was for my brother on my miles - was Platinum at the time.

Though I didn't think G fares were sold in the "international" market.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Azmordean
I status matched into Silver this past summer; I'll lose it on JAN 31, but may get it back later this year. Ultimately, I've found it a "nice to have" but not hugely consequential.

+ I fly out of SFO so needless to say, upgrades are never going to happen. There are usually 40-50 people on the upgrade list, and I'm near the end.

+ Boarding Group 2 is a decent benefit, as you can usually get overhead space. Absent Silver, I'd be in BG 3 via credit card. Out of SFO it seems 90% of the plane is in BG 2 or 3, so while 3 is better than 5, there's no guarantee of overhead space depending on how soon you line up.

+ Free checked bag is nice, but I'd get it anyway via credit card. Would be nice if UA offered a second free checked bag for Silvers who also have a credit card. Priority Baggage is a minor benefit but it saves a bit of time sometimes.

+ E+ is a benefit for some but not for me as I already have an E+ subscription. I want to be certain of having an E+ aisle seat so I can work and move around, so E+ at check-in doesn't cut it, especially on the routes I fly (lots of SFO-IAD), I need E+ at booking.

+ I've not had to use it, but Silver is almost certainly way better than nothing during IRROPS.

So overall -- it's pretty borderline. I'd like to keep the status, but am not sweating losing it. If I'm ever in a position with work travel to be certain I'll hit Silver every year, I'd probably drop the Explorer Card and save the $95 per year (Sapphire Reserve earns me more miles per dollar anyway).

Credit card gets you group 3?

I flew last year without status and always get group 2. I have united club card but I understand the Explorer provides the same benefit? Unless explorer is group 3?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Credit card gets you group 3?

I flew last year without status and always get group 2. I have united club card but I understand the Explorer provides the same benefit? Unless explorer is group 3?
All of the Chase cards will grant Group 2 boarding.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:45 pm

I'm a Club Card holder, so I already had the group 2 boarding and free bags. The biggest things for me in having Silver status are:

1) E+ seating
2) Free bags and group 2 even when traveling on business (where I'm required to use company CC)
3) Occasional upgrades (yes, I have been upgraded a few times!)
4) When I call customer service, I get the "premier line". In recent years I've been treated very well, and the representatives have always done their best to help me out.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by findark
All of the Chase cards will grant Group 2 boarding.
Ah interesting, good to know. I could have sworn I was getting 3 with my credit card, but I've had Silver since August so I'm not sure. It looks like it's supposed to be 2. I'll have to make sure of that once I lose Silver status.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787

5) Yes you can pick E+ at check-in for award seats. No it doesn't put you on the CPU list on award flights unless you have UA MP Credit Card.
I do have a United Club Card. Should my award reservation show CPU eligible as other reservations do? I'm a bit confused what to expect. Again, thanks for your help!
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:31 pm

I do have a United Club Card. Should my award reservation show CPU eligible as other reservations do? I'm a bit confused what to expect. Again, thanks for your help!
It should, but it may be only if you used the card to pay for your award reservation (taxes).
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
It should, but it may be only if you used the card to pay for your award reservation (taxes).
Hmmm, I did purchase the ticket with my Club Card. XXX-DEN-IAH-SJU should show some CPU eligible I'm supposing. I need to call to change my flight times to earlier as my connecting time in DEN has changed. I can ask then.

21+days out I can change award flights if there is availability online without fee, no change in ticket other than times, right?

Again, thanks for the assistance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.