Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
Wife just made Silver status
She got a pack in the mail... with a physical luggage tag/card and a thingy saying use the app to see your digital membership card

Is it just me or does this seam stupidly cheap? or is this a sign of things to come for the rest of us?
I think it's because the only use of the physical card is to get past particularly ferocious dragons, and *S doesn't do that anyhow.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
She got a pack in the mail... with a physical luggage tag/card and a thingy saying use the app to see your digital membership card

Is it just me or does this seam stupidly cheap? or is this a sign of things to come for the rest of us?
No surprising given the little usefulness of the Silver membership card, this has been going on for over 2 years
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
As of July 1st, 2015, Premier Silver Members will no longer be receiving membership cards.

Cards can be found online and in the United App.
I'm seeing this with a numerous of organizations (such as hotel programs) are deciding to drop sending cards to some or all of their members.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, provided that there are only two of you on the reservation; however, upgrades for a silver and companion on most routes are exceedingly rare.

You can be separated if you elect to waitlist for an upgrade at the gate. On a round-trip ticket, if you waitlist for an upgrade on the outbound, your reservations will be split on the return flight as well.
Can you "elect to waitlist" for an upgrade at the gate as a pair?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by safra1
Not formally, but if you talk to the GA, they can keep your request in mind.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not formally, but if you talk to the GA, they can keep your request in mind.
Right -- but as soon as you go onto the waitlist, your reservations will be split, which means, if this is an outbound flight, it will be possible for you to be upgraded separately in advance on your return flight.

Unless there are more seats available than names on the upgrade list* about 45 minutes before departure, I wouldn't bother.

* You can normally subtract anyone who appears on both the standby and upgrade lists, as they're likely non-rev and therefore likely to be behind you on the list. Just about everyone else will be ahead of you, though.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Originally Posted by jsloan
Right -- but as soon as you go onto the waitlist, your reservations will be split, which means, if this is an outbound flight, it will be possible for you to be upgraded separately in advance on your return flight.

Unless there are more seats available than names on the upgrade list* about 45 minutes before departure, I wouldn't bother.

* You can normally subtract anyone who appears on both the standby and upgrade lists, as they're likely non-rev and therefore likely to be behind you on the list. Just about everyone else will be ahead of you, though.
Got it. I guess the challenge is that I will have UA silver and my partner will have *G (non UA). We don't want them to separate our reservations as then I won't be eligible for the baggage waiver for the return flights (and I presume my partner wouldn't be eligible for the upgrade based on my status for the return if the reservation is split). So if we don't take any action at the gate, then our reservations won't be separated and we won't appear on the waitlist?

Given that UA silver upgrades can be confirmed on the "day of departure," are these automatically considered for me and my partner on a reservation at T-24, or do we have to call? And then, from the above, to get on the waitlist at the gate, we would have to talk to the gate agent and split the reservations. Is that right?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got it. I guess the challenge is that I will have UA silver and my partner will have *G (non UA). We don't want them to separate our reservations as then I won't be eligible for the baggage waiver for the return flights (and I presume my partner wouldn't be eligible for the upgrade based on my status for the return if the reservation is split). So if we don't take any action at the gate, then our reservations won't be separated and we won't appear on the waitlist?
In theory, UA agents could see that the records had been linked previously and therefore allow the benefits. Having said that -- where are you flying? UA Silver gets the first bag free; *G gets one additional free bag beyond the free allowance. Most flights that are eligible for complimentary upgrades for UA Silver have zero free bags, so UA Silver and *G get the same allowance. You can use the UA baggage calculator to find your allowances.

Given that UA silver upgrades can be confirmed on the "day of departure," are these automatically considered for me and my partner on a reservation at T-24, or do we have to call? And then, from the above, to get on the waitlist at the gate, we would have to talk to the gate agent and split the reservations. Is that right?
You will both be automatically considered for a joint upgrade, starting at T-24, and running through the time you check in or (approximately) T-3, whichever occurs first. During the check-in process, it should prompt you to ask whether or not you would like to be considered for an upgrade. If you say yes, your record will be split, and you will go on the list and have a chance to be upgraded; if not, your record will stay joined, and your record will be marked 'do not upgrade.'

If you decline the upgrade during check-in, but you change your mind later, the gate agent should be able to split the records and list you anyway.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No surprising given the little usefulness of the Silver membership card, this has been going on for over 2 years

I'm seeing this with a numerous of organizations (such as hotel programs) are deciding to drop sending cards to some or all of their members.
Ahh... sadface... she wanted a card for applying thermal compound (silver) on CPU's at work
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle

It's been like this for a number of years now. I've never received a Silver Membership card. On the other hand, what would I do with it? I've never shown my electronic card to anyone. Everything's in the system.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I have seen a number of instances from folks with Silver luggage tag - definitely DYKWIA moments
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I have seen a number of instances from folks with Silver luggage tag - definitely DYKWIA moments
I have mine on my bag, because the dragons guarding the premier check-in lines at SFO always validate my status and the luggage tag makes it just a little bit easier.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by prometa
I have mine on my bag, because the dragons guarding the premier check-in lines at SFO always validate my status and the luggage tag makes it just a little bit easier.

The "Premier Access" print on the ticket should do exactly that but I've also moved my silver tag from my checked luggage (which it was intended for) to my carry-on bag.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
How can I request a physical card for my Silver status ? It might be useful as proof of status to request a match with another airline
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
How can I request a physical card for my Silver status ? ...
You need to call or write in to the MileagePlus Service Center to request a Silver card.

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
... It might be useful as proof of status to request a match with another airline
Probably the only real use for the card -- but most airlines will take a screen shot for proof of status.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:44 pm

E+?

Quick question from a new guy (I tried searching and can’t get a definitive answer). I am traveling next month from BDL to HKG (part of the HGH fares). All long haul segments are on UA. Since I have Silver status, am I allowed to select E+ seats at check in? I know the policy about upgrades, but really can’t seem to find anything about E+. Thanks for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.