Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by bmw303
not true. Premier Accelerator.
Thanks for clarifying.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:17 pm

Silver status saved my keester in IRROPs today. I was scheduled to go DCA-EWR-SFO, with an hour to connect in EWR, and the EWR-SFO flight the last of the day (and with a ZN TOD upgrade already bought).

Given the weather mucking up both DCA and EWR today, I called earlier in the day and moved my DCA-EWR flight from UA4254 to UA4234, about an hour earlier. Watching the weather today, I saw delays getting worse and worse, and was able to use the app to figure out UA4234's aircraft was going back and forth DCA-EWR and was likely to be delayed significantly by the time of my flight, so I left for the airport hours earlier than I had planned.

At DCA, the check-in agent was able to get me a seat on UA4372, leaving even earlier. Sure enough, UA4234 is now behind schedule (as is UA4372, but managably), which would have made for a harrowing connection in EWR.

Both SDCs were not subject to waiver, and, at the time the changes were made, all flights were listed on schedule. But, both times agents made the change for free without complaint or pushback. The second agent even offered to re-route me through IAD on a direct to SFO, though I declined because I prefered PS J class to an E- middle or domestic F seat on the TCON.

When I arrived in EWR, my SFO flight was delayed 2 hours, and the app offered me an earlier departure, at 8:20p, that I would not have been able to make without the earlier changes to my EWR flight. That flight is also delayed, but I should be able to get home earlier than I would have, and definitely earlier than I would have had I been stuck on the original DCA-EWR or EWR-SFO flights.

Last edited by prometa; Mar 31, 2017 at 6:10 pm
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: UAL Silver Hilton Diamond Hyatt Plat
Question about OLCI and moving to complimentary E+ seats as Silver.

First time I did this as Silver everything went well, including moving myself and husband to E+ at T-24 on both my originating and connecting flights (T-26 at OLCI). Now I can only choose E+ on originating flight at check in and wait for connecting flight E+ until T-24. Is this everyone else's experience? Am I Doing something wrong? Thanks for replies. Oh the things that keep me up at night, lol. 😜
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by MTJTraveller
First time I did this as Silver everything went well, including moving myself and husband to E+ at T-24 on both my originating and connecting flights (T-26 at OLCI). Now I can only choose E+ on originating flight at check in and wait for connecting flight E+ until T-24. Is this everyone else's experience? Am I Doing something wrong? Thanks for replies. Oh the things that keep me up at night, lol. ��
If I have a multi-leg itinerary, at check-in the app will indicate it's going to charge me for E+ if I pick such a seat on the later legs that are >T-24. But, after hitting continue, it happily puts me in the seat without charge.

(It also gives me some strange warning like 'you can only pick E+ for one companion, after that we will charge', even though I'm flying solo on the PNR)
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: UAL Silver Hilton Diamond Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by prometa
If I have a multi-leg itinerary, at check-in the app will indicate it's going to charge me for E+ if I pick such a seat on the later legs that are >T-24. But, after hitting continue, it happily puts me in the seat without charge.

(It also gives me some strange warning like 'you can only pick E+ for one companion, after that we will charge', even though I'm flying solo on the PNR)
Thanks! I'll try this. Ug!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by MTJTraveller
Thanks! I'll try this. Ug!
likewise! thanks for the heads up. I've never clicked past the warning thinking I would get charged for it. Guess I'll give it a try next time

EWR-MBJ upgraded at gate, MBJ-IAH upgraded after check-in. First year having any status and it was pleasant surprise. Shame 3 of my 4 legs had at least an hr delay (EWR-MBJ was a little over 3 hrs, which was the most important flight since I had people waiting for me at arrival)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 3, 2017 at 7:30 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by lostnomad47
likewise! thanks for the heads up. I've never clicked past the warning thinking I would get charged for it. Guess I'll give it a try next time

EWR-MBJ upgraded at gate, MBJ-IAH upgraded after check-in. First year having any status and it was pleasant surprise. Shame 3 of my 4 legs had at least an hr delay (EWR-MBJ was a little over 3 hrs, which was the most important flight since I had people waiting for me at arrival)
That seems to be a great route for upgrades. I was able to use RPUs to rapture myself and 7 others (friends/family) to First on both the EWR-MBJ and MBJ-EWR legs. Such a feat is nearly unthinkable on other routes.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Got my first CPU of the year as a silver. Went from BF to GF on a domestic 763.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
SFO-EWR Free Economoy Plus Bump?

I am US Silver. Do I still get a free bump to Economy Plus at check-in on the SFO-EWR flight givin it is a premium service route?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Fly4SCUBA
I am US Silver. Do I still get a free bump to Economy Plus at check-in on the SFO-EWR flight givin it is a premium service route?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, a Premier Silver has the same T-24 access to E+ on p.s. flights as on normal ones.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, a Premier Silver has the same T-24 access to E+ on p.s. flights as on normal ones.
Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Fly4SCUBA
I am US Silver. Do I still get a free bump to Economy Plus at check-in on the SFO-EWR flight givin it is a premium service route? ....
Yes, on any UA operated flight (award and paid)

and on the SFO-EWR you will get a complimentary hot meal and beverage in E+
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l-service.html
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
If my spouse qualifies for UA silver and I do not have status, will we both be eligible for CPU upgrades if booked on the same reservation, and is there ever a situation where we would be separated automatically?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Wife just made Silver status
She got a pack in the mail... with a physical luggage tag/card and a thingy saying use the app to see your digital membership card

Is it just me or does this seam stupidly cheap? or is this a sign of things to come for the rest of us?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by safra1
If my spouse qualifies for UA silver and I do not have status, will we both be eligible for CPU upgrades if booked on the same reservation, and is there ever a situation where we would be separated automatically?
Yes, provided that there are only two of you on the reservation; however, upgrades for a silver and companion on most routes are exceedingly rare.

You can be separated if you elect to waitlist for an upgrade at the gate. On a round-trip ticket, if you waitlist for an upgrade on the outbound, your reservations will be split on the return flight as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.