Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I always fly DL being based here in MCO, but I had to book a last min trip to IAH and UA was $300 cheaper than DL, so I decided to take advantage of my free UA Silver status that I get from being a Marriott Plat (only have flown UA one other time in my entire life) and I was surprised to see I got an UG right at 24 hours out this morning to FC on the brand new 739 MAX. On DL, Silver’s hardly NEVER get UG’d so I was quite surprised. Also my flight currently only has 7/20 pax booked in FC with only 1 on the UG list, is this normal out of MCO? DLs UG list are always a mile long out of MCO.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I always fly DL being based here in MCO, but I had to book a last min trip to IAH and UA was $300 cheaper than DL, so I decided to take advantage of my free UA Silver status that I get from being a Marriott Plat (only have flown UA one other time in my entire life) and I was surprised to see I got an UG right at 24 hours out this morning to FC on the brand new 739 MAX. On DL, Silver’s hardly NEVER get UG’d so I was quite surprised. Also my flight currently only has 7/20 pax booked in FC with only 1 on the UG list, is this normal out of MCO? DLs UG list are always a mile long out of MCO.
I don't know that it's normal, but more likely out of MCO than most routes. I'm a silver and got upgraded both directions DEN-MCO-DEN recently, along with my wife. But we were also flying on non-peak days and times. Most routes, I don't get anywhere close to the top of the upgrade list.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:01 am

Also take into consideration that UA is relatively weak in the southeastern US compared to DL and AA since they have hubs closer to MCO than UA does, so perhaps UA may have fewer elites flying to/from that area of the country (UA is #5 in passengers flown at MCO)
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I find that UA upgrades as a Silver are surprisingly common on flights to places that aren't big UA business flyer hubs (particularly if you are flying on an odd day or odd time of day). If it is a big business flyer route there's no chance. But I've had six advance upgrades (where I get the email a day in advance) this year on odd or off-day itineraries, out of 14 United flights.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: UA Silver
I was surprised to see I got an UG right at 24 hours out this morning to FC on the brand new 739 MAX...is this normal out of MCO?
I'm also based in MCO and have been Silver for three years. I THOUGHT that since I wasn't in a hub city, that I would get frequent upgrades. That isn't been the case for me.

In the Fall and Spring, Orlando has a lot of business conference attendees. I suspect that a lot of people in First are high status people (or their companies are paying for the seat) attending conferences. I also notice a lot of families in First. So maybe they are traveling on award miles.

Finally, the last piece of the puzzle is my fare class. My clients usually book my flights about a month out and get T, U, V, or W tickets. This minimizes my chances of upgrades.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dukesantos
I'm also based in MCO and have been Silver for three years. I THOUGHT that since I wasn't in a hub city, that I would get frequent upgrades. That isn't been the case for me.

In the Fall and Spring, Orlando has a lot of business conference attendees. I suspect that a lot of people in First are high status people (or their companies are paying for the seat) attending conferences. I also notice a lot of families in First. So maybe they are traveling on award miles.

Finally, the last piece of the puzzle is my fare class. My clients usually book my flights about a month out and get T, U, V, or W tickets. This minimizes my chances of upgrades.
I'm also silver member out of MCO,
I find that occasionally I will get upgraded leaving MCO, but never upgraded going back to MCO.
This year have been upgraded to IAH (x3), EWR (with the lie flat seats!!) and also ORD.
a couple of these were afternoon flights, and some mid morning flights.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
E+ question again. Booked on a connecting flight through IAH on Wed. - it's a party of 3 with 2 silvers, 1 no status. Forgetting about E+ XXX-IAH, since there aren't really seats that will keep us together. On the other hand, IAH-YYY on an E75 has E+ seats, and knock on wood - chances for an upgrade looking fairly decent - F9 R6 at T-40, upgrades ran for golds at T-48, and only a couple of folks in E+ seats even at the moment. But still want to make sure I can move to E+ seats as soon as I can so I at least have those, trick is, I don't want to check in at T-24 from my first flight, since I'd like to keep us on the same reservation as long as possible to see if CPU will go in advance.

Can I, via seat selection on website or app, move to E+ for the second flight at T-24 for the first flight (at not charge)? Or can an agent help us to do this? Or will it try to charge me at that point. Theoretically, from a timing standpoint, I'd be able to check in, and know I could do it that way, just not sure if the system is actually set up for it through non-check in seat selection?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
E+ question again. Booked on a connecting flight through IAH on Wed. - it's a party of 3 with 2 silvers, 1 no status. Forgetting about E+ XXX-IAH, since there aren't really seats that will keep us together. On the other hand, IAH-YYY on an E75 has E+ seats, and knock on wood - chances for an upgrade looking fairly decent - F9 R6 at T-40, upgrades ran for golds at T-48, and only a couple of folks in E+ seats even at the moment. But still want to make sure I can move to E+ seats as soon as I can so I at least have those, trick is, I don't want to check in at T-24 from my first flight, since I'd like to keep us on the same reservation as long as possible to see if CPU will go in advance.

Can I, via seat selection on website or app, move to E+ for the second flight at T-24 for the first flight (at not charge)? Or can an agent help us to do this? Or will it try to charge me at that point. Theoretically, from a timing standpoint, I'd be able to check in, and know I could do it that way, just not sure if the system is actually set up for it through non-check in seat selection?
I believe this should work: initiate check-in (app or website), select seats and move through to final screen, exit without finishing check-in.

However, I'm not sure I understand your motivation for delaying check-in. During check-in you can designate the non-status passenger as a companion of one of the silver-status passengers; the reservation will split, but all will be on the upgrade list with approximately the same priority.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To those interested, and as a data point, was able to change seats in the app at T-24 for my first flight for the connection (departing 31 hours later) through the regular change seats took in the itinerary. When making the change, app initially showed a charge for each seat, but after clicking the continue to purchase button, just went back to the main itinerary screen with the new seats confirmed.

For those asking, I didn’t want to check in because I didn’t want the reservation to split since I didn’t want to take a chance of upgrades clearing via CPU with the third pax not clearing at the same time since they are not an elite, and so could only clear at the gate. Turns out we made a good move - upgrades on the connection cleared about 20 minutes after T-24 and we could ensure we got seats next to each other. Chances are pax 3 would have cleared at the gate, but maybe or maybe not sitting with us.

Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
To those interested, and as a data point, was able to change seats in the app at T-24 for my first flight for the connection (departing 31 hours later) through the regular change seats took in the itinerary. When making the change, app initially showed a charge for each seat, but after clicking the continue to purchase button, just went back to the main itinerary screen with the new seats confirmed.

For those asking, I didn’t want to check in because I didn’t want the reservation to split since I didn’t want to take a chance of upgrades clearing via CPU with the third pax not clearing at the same time since they are not an elite, and so could only clear at the gate. Turns out we made a good move - upgrades on the connection cleared about 20 minutes after T-24 and we could ensure we got seats next to each other. Chances are pax 3 would have cleared at the gate, but maybe or maybe not sitting with us.

Good for you (all)! ^

And now you can avoid splitting the reservation at all, which could be helpful with precheck and/or the return if any.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I thought it gives you the choice to split or not to split.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
I thought it gives you the choice to split or not to split.
If you check-in and don't split, you can't be upgraded after that point.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
If you check-in and don't split, you can't be upgraded after that point.
i think that’s just for the gate though. Though It’s been a long time, I think declining the split so you aren’t upgraded at the gate doesn’t take you off the non-visible CPU list - the one that’s supposed to run at all the upgrade windows. But I’ve seen many times where that’s run after check in opens - down to about T-4 or so (and even the list at the window doesn’t even run right on the dot - like I said, last night for me the upgrades came about 20 minutes after T-24, though often it’s closer to within 5 minutes or so, at least, IME
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:02 pm

UA Silver - Do upgrades happen? :)

All,

First off, Let me just say I recently moved 95% of my business from AA to United this year. Really enjoying it. I was CK for a few years, 13 years EXP and I have lifetime platinum with AA. Current Status with AA is Plat Pro (from last year), but recently just hit Silver on United. I only fly paid F class with them, but was wondering if Silver members have decent chances of upgrading on routes such as MCO-IAH and TPA-IAH. Are these routes elite heavy?

Thanks,
Tony
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
It depends. What days of the week are you traveling? Are you traveling during business times or are you traveling on off days (Tues/Wedn/Sat)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.